14' Series Filling hot water tank

egomoi

Aug 7, 2014
Complete newbie as just picked up my first caravan Expanda 14.44-5 OB. Docco says don't start hot water system (gas or electric sources) without first ensuring the water tank is full. How do I do this? Does it fill automatically when the water pump is on?

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
Hi, a great choice of Expanda. I'm not an expert but this is what I think. The tank will automatically fill if you have mains water connected or water in your tanks, and the 12v switch on. You should also be able to run cold water from the mixer tap on hot (ie through the HWS without having heated the water). So I'd connect the water etc - and then see if cold water comes out when the mixer is on hot. There is also a pressure-relief valve (I think that's what it is) on the water tank, same as a home HWS. Its a good indicator of water in the tank. Good luck

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
First off always travel with your HWS turned off both gas and 240, then when you hook up water and power run your hot and cold taps till the air is out of the lines then turn the HWS 240 on OR turn your gas on to it and fire up the burner. ( you will probably find a gas tap in the cupboard near the HWS.) Same if your running only on 12v pump run hot tap to expel air then fire up the HWS gas burner. Remember to turn off Gas or 240 before you hitch up. You don't need your water pump on when on 240v.

The mob you bought it off should have gone over all this, anyway welcome and this lot will help you out.

Reactions: MDS69

egomoi

Aug 7, 2014
Thanks a lot for your help and advice. Handover guy had done it so many times I think he assumed I knew as much as he did.

Reactions: Drover

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I took your advice. The Suburban brochure says both gas and elec can be used together.
we only will be using hot water for washing up quick showers for kids just sent u a message come to beaufort just past ballarat for the weekend 19th to 21st

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
We normally heat the water at home before we leave if we are doing a short trip and also we leave the 240 switch on all the time as I have forgotten to switch on in parks a couple of times but I always make sure the got water service is full/ primed before use.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I was meaning the power point switch not the dinky little on/off switch outside on the HWS............

we only will be using hot water for washing up quick showers for kids

So what else would you use it for ??????????

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Can the gas and electrical water heating be used together ie to heat the water a bit quicker
@Crusty181 yes they can be used at the same time.

We go though the process others have mentioned, purge the air then switch on the 240v which is usually fine for washing up etc.

If we are going to have a few people showering one after the other, we switch on the has as well, and find that it kicks in and helps it recover much faster so everyone gets a hot shower.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I was meaning the power point switch not the dinky little on/off switch outside on the HWS............

So what else would you use it for ??????????
well the adults wont be showering in there drover just so we don't have to take kids to showerblock a quick hose down