External gas bayonet and gas flow

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
We have a Weber Q which we currently run off a 9kg gas bottle both at home and always take camping and currently run off a 9kg bottle then as well. Once we get the expanda we had planned to hook the weber into an external gas bayonet coming off the side of the van - probably somewhere around where the foldout table is. I assume this will be off the gas reticulation of the van by a bayonet fitting. I am concerned that the regulator fitted to the Jayco system may not allow the same gas flow as the hose to the 9 kg gas bottle at home - and as such I may not achieve the 200degrees C needed to do my roasts etc. Has anyone had any experience with this? I first came across this concern with a weber and caravan on a Bushtracker forum regarding the bushtracker van and weber BBQ when I was googling about gas bayonets on Jaycos. Refer to the following link about their problem. I am hoping Jayco does not have the same problem? Can anyone tell me of their experiences - does the Weber Q work as effectively out camping with the expanda of the bayonet as it does at home?
http://www.bushtrackerownersgroup.asn.au/Forum/View.asp?ForumQID=7740&Page=%2FForum%2FDefault.asp%3FDisplaySet%3DActive%26PN%3D1

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
Hi busybusymum, we use our Weber Q on a 3 metre bayonet hose from our 17 footer.

The original hose that is supplied with weber is replaced with the bayonet hose as you can not use a second regulator on your barbeque.

It works the same on either front or rear bayonet.

The Weber Q cooks the best roasts!

Crystalyn

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Were the same as Crystalyn, we ahve a 17 footer and we have a external boyonet fitted to our van. there is no problem with running the weber Q off it. If your going to get it done get it done while it's at the factory stage. I think it was only about an extra $130. We got qoutes to get it done if we arranaged it ourselfs and it was about $300.

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Thanks all - that is all I need to know - we were going to get 2 extra bayonets - one front and one rear - but just wanted to make sure the weber would run as per normal - looks like all we need to do is get a bayonet hose- quote for an extra one was $103- so cheaper to get it done at factory stage. My husband does most of the cooking while away (camping rules - as I do most of it at home) and he loves the weber and I enjoy not cooking and the delicacies he produces from it!

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Thanks all - that is all I need to know - we were going to get 2 extra bayonets - one front and one rear - but just wanted to make sure the weber would run as per normal - looks like all we need to do is get a bayonet hose- quote for an extra one was $103- so cheaper to get it done at factory stage. My husband does most of the cooking while away (camping rules - as I do most of it at home) and he loves the weber and I enjoy not cooking and the delicacies he produces from it!

Oops I meant to say that the quote for an external bayonet at factory stage was $103 not the hose to connect to the weber!! We will get the 2 external bayonets as often we use an external camp stove as well

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
I have the same setup as bigman, the BabyQ and the 3m hose. I haven't actually proven it, but I don't feel like the flames are as big on the burner when connected to the Expanda vs connected straight to a gas cylinder. I put this down to pressure losses in 2m of pipe and 3m of hose connected to the van, vs 1m hose to the gas cylinder.