expanda to tassie

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
good evening all we are thinking of going to tassie early next year and wondering if people take there own van over there on the boat or is it to dear and hire one or just hotel it while there.
thanks jim and tab

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey Jim, we looked into it a few months ago.

If you book well ahead (like six months) the prices are pretty reasonable. When you book closer to the travel date the same options can be double the price.

Holidays and christmas are pretty expensive. My only advise is get in early.

We were hoping to get across some time this year but decided to put it off until next year (so the kids are a bit older). Can't wait to get there one day!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
You also may need to book in advance to get on a deck that can accomodate the height of the Expanda. My Brother took his Patrol over and had to remove his roof rack from his Patrol because it couldn't fit on any available decks, he took over his soft floor camper trailer.

Be sure to post up some Pics:photo:of your trip.
Like Moto mentioned I also want to head over to with the Expanda.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
we took the Swan over a couple of years back during christmas peak. A single recliner seat was around $80 each way, but adding the van added $400 each way.
We were over 2.1 high with the roof box on, but had no problems. You just need to let them know and they will reserve a spot in the higher section for you. (the web site does ask, but I did it verbally).
I'd have no hesitation doing it again. Its costly and probably still works out better hiring, or staying in cabins etc, but then do you get everything in a renatal van that you have in your own, set up *your* way etc etc etc.

I also booked a morning sailing, so I got in in the evening, but had the wife and kids take the 50 minute and $39 flight over later in the day. I got off the boat and drove down to Launceston and met them there. I had all the luggage, so they didn't need to take anything with them. We did the same on the way back. The boat's a bit boring by yourself, so I ended up upgrading to a cabin on the way home, had the laptop with me and started doing some work (the joys of self employment)

Andrew