17' Series Expanda query

GingerMEGS

Jun 8, 2020
Melbourne
Hi,
First time poster.
Just purchased an Expanda 17.56.2
12 model with en-suite, just wondering what issues I should keep an eye out for and any handy tips for when camping.

Heading off through NSW starting July with the wife and an 8 & 6 year old, would really love some must have spots to camp, Caravan parks or Off grid doesn’t matter places to try.
Thanks

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Nothing really to worry about, just usual check bearings, tighten all bolts and screws in cabinets (they're not the greatest). Check your gas cylinders are full and no gas leaks, check sacrificial rod in the hot water system. Maybe flush the tanks out before you go. We have had no issues with ours apart from plastic door latch breaking, loose screws and a gas leak in the hot-water system (caused a fire :-( ) not long after we bought it.
We always cook on a weber outside, saves stinking up the van. Cheap electric fry pan, wok or whatever if you have power easy to cleanup to.
Take an extra 15amp lead as some places the single one isn't long enough to reach power if you're stuck in a corner. Take superglue and duct tape, always handy. We just use nappy wash in the toilet, cheaper and works great without any stains.
Anywhere you stay on holidays is always better than not staying so just relax and enjoy.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just adding to @gspy4u list, If your toilet has its own flush tank then give it a good rinse out if its been left full, instructions in the manual, leaving flush tank full allows mould and crud to form and gums up the works, if its flush water comes from he main tanks then all is good but give the can a good hose out if its dry, all the flaky stuff will get washed out, if not dry then give it a good rinse in a Nappy San and spray the rubber seals with olive oil and only olive oil.............. I use Di San from Aldi for the thunder can, doesn't cost the earth and works fantastic, any of these Nappi San type products are good so long as they are 32% Per Carbonate, fold up some toilet paper, tip a lid full onto it and wrap it up then with the can open throw it in, add 2lts of water, shake can, ready to go, putting it in the bowl, adding water then opening the valve just causes problems with the seal....
Many great places to stop, get the WiKi Camps App it is good value and gives good insight into many places, also shows stupid people are everywhere....
Have a great time and let us all know how your going.

Reactions: poor but proud

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Hi just talking from experience when you are parked up and using your tank water if the pump runs for no reason look for a leak, maybe just hot water tank using water but could also be fittings between walls or behind somewhere hidden, pumps do not run for no reason

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,
First time poster.
Just purchased an Expanda 17.56.2
12 model with en-suite, just wondering what issues I should keep an eye out for and any handy tips for when camping.

Heading off through NSW starting July with the wife and an 8 & 6 year old, would really love some must have spots to camp, Caravan parks or Off grid doesn’t matter places to try.
Thanks
Welcome @GingerMEGS, 1st van for you guys?? Tent campers before hand?? Exciting times. Ensuite van too, nice. This is like an echo, I only mentioned this recently, all aircons (including caravans) have min and max ambient temp ranges for both heating and cooling where outside that range they just shut themselves off to protect their gizzards, the cold limit on our vans aircon is around 3deg, so thats just nasty when the bloody heater suddenly stops. Take a blow heater (or 2), good insurance just in case you reach your aircons shut off temp.

Great time of the year to head upto the NSW, which direction/route are you taking ??? We'll likely be head along the nsw sth coast in the school holidays

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi just talking from experience when you are parked up and using your tank water if the pump runs for no reason look for a leak, maybe just hot water tank using water but could also be fittings between walls or behind somewhere hidden, pumps do not run for no reason
Our pump use to cycle when the batteries are getting low. I adjusted it to the factory settings per the manual but now we have a ton of solar panels keeping the batteries charged. It doesn't do it now but Im not sure if was the adjustment that solved it, or made no difference and we just don't get low batteries to set it off.

GingerMEGS

Jun 8, 2020
Melbourne
Just adding to @gspy4u list, If your toilet has its own flush tank then give it a good rinse out if its been left full, instructions in the manual, leaving flush tank full allows mould and crud to form and gums up the works, if its flush water comes from he main tanks then all is good but give the can a good hose out if its dry, all the flaky stuff will get washed out, if not dry then give it a good rinse in a Nappy San and spray the rubber seals with olive oil and only olive oil.............. I use Di San from Aldi for the thunder can, doesn't cost the earth and works fantastic, any of these Nappi San type products are good so long as they are 32% Per Carbonate, fold up some toilet paper, tip a lid full onto it and wrap it up then with the can open throw it in, add 2lts of water, shake can, ready to go, putting it in the bowl, adding water then opening the valve just causes problems with the seal....
Many great places to stop, get the WiKi Camps App it is good value and gives good insight into many places, also shows stupid people are everywhere....
Have a great time and let us all know how your going.

Thanks everyone for the responses,
I will get onto the Aldi products for the Thunder Box.
It’s our 3rd van but haven’t had one for 9 years. Had a viscount night Royal we renovated and a 2003 jayco eagle.
Was thinking about an Arkpak 730p to run a Waeco is there any better options?I’m a Plumer so will have ample rolls of Duct tape.

Looking at heading off in Vic school holidays up the east coast towards Port Douglass then hopefully NT opens up on the way home.
We will check out the apps. We’re not really Tech people but obviously have to learn.
Thanks for the responses.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Was thinking about an Arkpak 730p to run a Waeco is there any better options?I’m a Plumer so will have ample rolls of Duct tape.

Some of those battery pack jobs are big on words and $$ but lacking in performance, I think it much better to get a 100ah or more AGM battery put it in a battery box and add a Cetek 250S DC-DC charger on top (or similar unit) fitting it out with and anderson plug ot 2 then you can plug it into your car,van and even plug into a portable solar panel, gives better performance and bang for buck....

I use the mirrors that clip over the window sill with a strap to bottom of door, the mirror mounted jiggers I found too unstable and dinky, never had damaged sills or paintwork from them on 3 vehicles so far, but I do endure they are fitted tightly, have good plastic bits on sill bracket and I keep them clean, never remove them on a trip just slide the mirror section out, saves a lot of stuffing around...............would certainly ike some elephant ears but even travelling about 12,000 kms most years they are just a lot of coin..... theres a thread on mirrors somewhere, comes with piccies...

Just out of curiousity, how do you empty the toilet flush tank on the expanda??

If its the type that you have to fill its own tank with water for flushing its best to read the manual as some may be different but my old unit the water level sight tube you would pull it off the top fitting and lay it down and it would drain the tank, always advisable as mould could start in tank and gum up works.... but check as some models could use other means... Of course if you dont fill a tank then it flushes from the main tanks.

Reactions: Disco Duck

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Milenco Grand Aero 3's are the best clip on mirror for a Ford Ranger. Don't be too scared to do them up super tight, you won't crack the plastic mirror housing.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands

Have a really good look around when choosing towing mirrors as there are a lot of pitfalls, if you are towing a lot you probably can’t go past fitted electric mirrors downside is cost and they don’t fit some vehicles , just clip on mirrors tend to fold in when passing heavy vehicles, clip on with suction pads tend to do the same thing and the suction cups let go at the most annoying times (just like gps units). The mirrors with ratchet straps can scratch window glass when opening and closing and if not clean can scratch the bottom lip of the door, then you have clip on with a magnetic pad onto the door which can damage the door paint if not applied clean and left installed long term , all of them are weapons when you go to a shopping centre car parks , I use Rosso with magmatic pads

Reactions: Brente1982

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
I agree with @poor but proud, do your research. The Clearview power mirrors are the best around, but they're up to $1500 for a pair. That's the Ranger model with chrome, heated mirror and power fold. There are cheaper copies out there that look like the clearviews, but they lack the extras like heated mirror and power fold.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I use the Mileco Aero 3s which are the smaller ones. Ive had them for 5 years and they will be good for at least another 5 years. Easy to fit and remove, with quite strong easy to use clamps. Once fitted and adjusted, if you only loosen the bottom thumb screw to them off or put them on the mirror adjustment will not need to be re-adjusted each time; adjustment stays put. The Mileco mirrors themselves wont fold in, it would only be your car mirrors forced in from passing trucks. Thats never happened to me, and being relatively small Id doubt the Aero 3 could cause a a car factory mirror to fold in. The Milecos dont move at all but they do vibrate a little, but the vibration is minor and not enough to bother me. Clearviews also get the odd vibration complaint as well and I just cant imagine throwing $700 at some plastic car mirrors. (maybe 2nd hand one day) The Milecos have been good to me and for $100 there's no plans to change. Clamping the mirrors at the bottom of the car factory mirror, rather than the top tends to help minimise any vibration, because the bottom of the factory mirror is closer to the mount on the door than the top of the factory mirror.

@Bluey has the mirrors which prop of a support arm stuck to the car door

Reactions: KECL and Disco Duck

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
Thanks Drover..........I'll have a look this morning.
Our toilet pump is not working and it is too hard to get my hand in to get it out of the tank. So it has been sitting dormant for a while.
I wonder if a little chlorine (pool variety) might work ??

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Some of those battery pack jobs are big on words and $$ but lacking in performance, I think it much better to get a 100ah or more AGM battery put it in a battery box
Feast your eyes on this gem to visualise your point. At $1799 ... seems a genuine legit bargain.

Despite what the name would suggest there is absolutely no solar at all, and no generation of power at all. Giving them the benefit of the doubt I thought it was maybe a list of what it doesnt have ... but list says cart and it does have the cart; confusing? Not sure why they didnt add more exciting rubbish like Cryptonite, and Flux Capacitor. Some might suggest its just a $300 agm battery in a box, actually it is just a $300 agm battery in a box.

The blurb says you "refuel" it (thats a mind bender) by plugging it in to a 240v outlet for 18hrs, or humorously into the cigarette lighter socket of the car for an insomnia enhanced whopping 44hours which I assume you'll need to be driving around for that entire time.

Im marketing $300 agm batteries at only $999, which in The Crazy Yeti sale is an $800 saving ... get in while stocks last.

Yeti.jpg

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
I have to get myself one of those Crusty. Looks like a real bargain. The solar panels that you have to buy extra would probably be around the two grand mark, judging by the price of the main unit.

Speaking of over-priced........................I have been looking at some of the Redarc stuff and whilst I agree that Redarc is very good, I couldn't afford to buy any of it.
I have the Redarc brake controller but that is about all I can see that is in my price range. I guess I don't need it.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I have to get myself one of those Crusty. Looks like a real bargain. The solar panels that you have to buy extra would probably be around the two grand mark, judging by the price of the main unit.

Speaking of over-priced........................I have been looking at some of the Redarc stuff and whilst I agree that Redarc is very good, I couldn't afford to buy any of it.
I have the Redarc brake controller but that is about all I can see that is in my price range. I guess I don't need it.
Im of the same Redarc opinion, good but way overpriced compared to other cheaper brands offering the similar options.

Ill just need a holding deposit on the Flux Capacitor, to avoid disappointment I mean ensure supply