20' Series Expanda Outback 20.64 - Fixed bunks or Cafe Dinette Option

Wombat6

Aug 27, 2016
Melbourne
After many years of caravan envy we are about to order our first Expanda for our family of five but are vasilating over whether to get twin fixed bunks or the cafe dinette option. The fixed bunks offer much better beds that are permanently set up and may be more suitable to the kids as they age as well as extra storage.

The cafe dinette option gives us an extra internal sitting area for the kids that we probably will only very infrequently use (although at such times it will probably be appreciated). However, to use it we will need to pack up both beds and then need to remake the beds at night.

Appreciate thoughts from those with experience with either.

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
Friend"s have the cafe/dinette in there starcraft 22.68.1 OB and are not happy with it because you loose storage area under the bottom bunk as well as the top bunk being higher giving less room for the top child, they have owned the van for a couple of years and probably used the seating once or twice. And have said they wouldn't get it again.

Reactions: bigcol

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Wombat6 . We have the cafe bunk set up in our van and have 4 kids. On short trips (2 weeks or less) we swap the bunk into seats as often as kids want. It's not a hassle as the top stays as is. We can also sit under it without lifting top bunk. On longer trips (like we are now....8 weeks in I think we are) we have left the bottom as a bunk . No loss of storage as we still store snorkeling gear, etc underneath.
Just get the one you really want, I find its the same really except you get the option of folding away a top bunk if needed/wanted.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Fixed bunks I'd go for.

If you choose the cafe dinette option mainly to have a place for the kids in the daytime you make your life more complicated.
Are you looking at the model where the lower bunk can't be adapted to a small table ...or one that can?

Either way it could be just as easy to set up a table and chairs outside as long as it's not cold or wet.

Keep it as simple as possible and you'll all enjoy it.

Kids, as you say, grow so the bunks would keep them happy in the van longer....and they become their special space, not a temporary fix.

My 10 cents worth!

Good luck with the decision.

Reactions: bigcol

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
My 2 cents. We have a different van with a dinette convertor for dining table (plus fixed bunks as we have 3 kids) and so far the bed has stayed made. We don't use the dining table at all, we eat outside. And if it's raining and we aren't under awning so far we just sit on the beds. But I probably would have still gone the dinette version if we had bought the expander with bunks. If you go with it just accept it will probably never get used. But is probably more attractive to a buyer when reselling. Versatile but not necessarily convenient. Would better suit a family with 2 kids. But agree, buy the one you are thinking of buying and will suit your family. We did and we love our van and wouldn't change anything! Don't get swayed by what everyone else buys just for the sake of it.

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Hi we have a dinette and I thought it would be good as an extra space for the kids, however I have never used mine as a dinette it's always set as a bunk. My suggestion is that with whatever you choose, think about maybe draws for access under the bed as it can be a little of a pain to access the storage when lifting the cushions/mattress regularly.

Reactions: FiveInAVan

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Hi @Wombat6

We chose the dinette option on the van. The main reason is at least we have the option to do either, hopefully making it more appealing at re-sale. It is also easy to turn into a fixed bunk further down the line if you need to, a little DIY and the job could be done, would not be so easy the other way around.

Take note though that the bottom is not as comfortable as the top when set up as beds as its not a mattress, so I purchased a thin self inflating mattress to go on the cushions, job done! I also added some touch led lights and placed under the top bunk for extra light when they are set up, these come standard on the bunk variant.

When travelling I have it in the bed set up mode as it is great for storing things on, chairs etc, and there is still storage under the table that is easy to access, our annex goes here as Delano mentioned it is right over the axle, also under one of the seat we have the draw which is a great place for the kids to keep there books etc, under the other seat you have to lift the cushion and there is a large storage area for toys etc.

When we put the bed down the bedding easily goes into the storage under the rear drop down bed, a few minutes and its done.

Happy to send photos if it helps.

Either way it is your family van and only you know what is best for you all.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol