17' Series Expanda 17.56-2 electrical issues!

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
Hi all - we are currently having our first weekend away in our newly purchased second hand 2017 Outback Expanda 17.56-2. We previously had a 2013 Outback 14.44-4 which we loved but it was time for a bit more room. We’re trying to work out where everything is and currently at a loss trying to find where the fuses are. We’ve looked everywhere! Does this model possibly not have accessible fuses!? The reason we’ve been trying to find it is because our lights will only work off the battery which seems odd and we’re wondering if we need to change a fuse?Microwave, aircon, powerpoints and hot water are all working off the main power but not the lights!? Surely they don’t only work off the battery? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

rags

In my 2010 van, the lights only (did) work of 12volt via the Setec charger and the fuse panel is in the Setec unit. Not sure what the later models run though but I'm sure the lights will be 12volt only, but the brains trust will be along soon to help out.

I say (did) work of the Setec because I have abandoned the Jayco charging system.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi @Lucinda, your lights are only 12v and only work off the battery as does your pump and toilet flush (if you have one). When you are plugged in to 240v the Setec unit is charging your battery which is then running your lights and any other 12v unit you have in your van. Unless the previous owner has modified your van the Setec unit is a black panel usually low down under a seat or fridge and the fuses are behind the panel. It looks like this. DSCN4054.JPG

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
Thanks so much - that makes sense ... sort of . I understand now that the battery needs to be on for the 12v things to work. Still can’t find the fuses - they are not in ANY of the obvious (or not obvious) places!

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
We don’t have that panel! I know the panel you mean as our 2013 14.44-4 had that panel but this 2017 17.56-2 doesn’t have that panel anywhere! So odd...

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Do you have the new jayco setup? A BMPRO Battery Management System that looks a bit like this? If so there are only master fuses and the control unit uses smart sensing to disconnect power instead of individual fuses (from what I can see in the manual)

Attachments

• BMPro.JPG
    BMPro.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Reactions: Lucinda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Take some pictures of the gizmos hidden in your cupboards and we will be able to identify what you have....................Do you have solar ??? .also a van not that old should have a folder with the manuals in it, if not identify your fridge, hws, stove and other gear and you will be able to download manuals for them.

As Chartrock said your lights etc are all 12volt, your 14.44 would have been the same, 240v usually only runs things like microwaves, aircons and one element on a stove, fridge and HWS and will charge the battery via the Setek or other power unit fitted to the van even with the battery missing the charging unit will supply 12v for the lights/pump when plugged into 240 but they are only 12v.

Eazy

Sep 5, 2018
Adelaide
@Lucinda , I have a 2018 17.56-1. Fuses are under the fridge. Small drop down panel.
I found them when I couldn't work out why the battery wasn't charging after taking delivery. Helps if the BMPRO brains box is actually plugged in and turned on!

Hope this helps.