16' Series Expanda 16.49-4 (2013 model) Ceiling Issues

Andy Hilbert

May 14, 2013
Tasmania
Hi All
We've owned our Expanda from new (purchased in May 2013). Stored outside under a large shade sail.

We've had the usual minor issues typically experienced with Jayco vans, which we've fixed ourselves for the most part (as our local dealer is a 2 1/2 hour drive away).
One issue that concerns me though is that we've been getting mold and discoloration of the ceiling in the front two corners. Upon recent inspection, the wood is quite spongy in the very corners (first few cm from the corner). I've removed the sealant on the roof joints and can't find any spots that could allow water in (sealant replaced afterwards of course!). I'm starting to think that it is due to condensation inside the van (large temperature differences throughout the day in TAS probably not helping).

I've tried drying out the corners, sanding back and painting the damaged areas but the mold and discoloration comes back.
I've now resorted to cutting some white perspex in 1/4 circle shapes (approx. 300mm radius) and affixing to the roof corners to try to hide the damage and provide a surface that won't be affected by any moisture formation.

It seems mad that I'm having to do this to a relatively new van and was wondering if anyone else had found a better solution to the issue, or managed to get Jayco to address the problem / fix. I don't fancy my chances of getting much help from Jayco now the van is 5+ years old...

I'd appreciate any thoughts / feedback on this.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome @Andy Hilbert. I experienced a similar problem on our Journey. Our problem originated around the front skylight which leaked a bit and the water ran around the timber in the roof. Our van was 3 years old and Jayco met us halfway with the cost but it was still pretty expensive. Good luck with your problem.

Reactions: cruza driver

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
I have a roof leak in my expanda jayco installed the roof antenna i gather it is
where its coming from i did the the willts with it sealed the lit up byt the problem is now worse it has leaked down inside of side wall where the awning conects which has dry rot behind it when rescrewing awning on water was seeping out damn if i know where leak is coming from.