Chassis Excessive tyre wear

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
Have just had to replace right tyre on 14.49.5 after about 35000k due to it scrubbing out on the inside. Only thing I can think of is a bent axle. Has any one had a similar experience and how do I get it fixed?

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
I had similar and found the spring pack centre bolt had come out and the spring pack had slipped back causing the axle to move with it and started feathering the tyre.

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
I had similar and found the spring pack centre bolt had come out and the spring pack had slipped back causing the axle to move with it and started feathering the tyre.
Thanks Chooka. Had a look but cant see any thing missing or loose but then again im no mechanic by any stretch.

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
We had both tyres wearing on inside. It was suggested by the people that service the van that we may have a bent axle. After they had discussions with ALKO & JAYCO Alko decided to pay for triangulation measurements to see if the axle was bent. This showed that the axle wasn't bent but was not centred on the van correctly. The axle was removed the plates that are welded onto the axle were removed and repositioned, the complete axle was rotated 180degs. JAYCO paid for the work to be carried out (the van was out of warranty). The van seems to travel easier behind the car now

Reactions: Ch00ka77

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
We had both tyres wearing on inside. It was suggested by the people that service the van that we may have a bent axle. After they had discussions with ALKO & JAYCO Alko decided to pay for triangulation measurements to see if the axle was bent. This showed that the axle wasn't bent but was not centred on the van correctly. The axle was removed the plates that are welded onto the axle were removed and repositioned, the complete axle was rotated 180degs. JAYCO paid for the work to be carried out (the van was out of warranty). The van seems to travel easier behind the car now
Thanks Jeff. Had some wear on the left but not as excessive. Its going back to Jayco once we get home.