Electrical ESC/breakaway wiring

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
while on our maiden voyage home, our ESC and breakaway system stopped working. (Breakaway stopped less than a week after picking up our van). Not usually a problem , but we were on the opposite side of the country. Today it got looked at, and yes, it was apparently a faulty battery that was the cause of it all. But, one guy said ours was wired up together, possibly on the same circuit (can't remember the exact words said). But he did say that he went to alko's training, or what ever it's called, over east, and that it should not be wired up that way. Has anyone else discovered this?? And if so, have you gotten it fixed?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hopefully ours isn't wired together as the ESC was an after market install!!!!! Now something to check on the weekend if I remember ;)

Reactions: Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
It explains why we lost both while away. Obviously our probey electrical guy who did the lights, must have also worked on that too. Don't mind probeys doing the job, as long as they are properly supervised, which ours wasn't.

Reactions: dagree

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
while on our maiden voyage home, our ESC and breakaway system stopped working. (Breakaway stopped less than a week after picking up our van). Not usually a problem , but we were on the opposite side of the country. Today it got looked at, and yes, it was apparently a faulty battery that was the cause of it all. But, one guy said ours was wired up together, possibly on the same circuit (can't remember the exact words said). But he did say that he went to alko's training, or what ever it's called, over east, and that it should not be wired up that way. Has anyone else discovered this?? And if so, have you gotten it fixed?
ours had a faulty battery all good now .
Prestage jayco repayed the cost to us

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I discovered a problem with our ESC not working (the 2 green LED's wouldn't light up) after we had arrived back home in 2013. Somewhere between checking it at our last stop and home a connector had come apart in the birds nest of wiring behind a metal cover underneath the van. In tracing cables I discovered that the 2 systems are inter-connected for our van. Attempts to find a publically available diagram, even just a block diagram, have failed. I don't understand why Jayco do not provide even a basic block diagram of what they install and where those components/connectors are as they must have some type of basic drawing to wire it up to in the first place. This also goes to other Companies who although they want/need to protect their own Company secrets should be able to provide basic details of how various components inter-connect. I do know of at least one Company (not Jayco) who by either their own direct efforts or someone giving them some feedback from a particular Forum have decreed to me that their drawings are not for public distribution. I find this a ridiculous attitude when what was included on their drawing was no different than what people can obtain for most vehicles and many other things. Protecting vital Company secrets of the insides of sealed components is one thing, but providing external wiring details so that when things go wrong should be a basic legal requirement. Wiring faults don't just occur where a Service Agent is available and anyway it should be up to us if we wish to, or need to, repair it ourselves. I would love to be able to spend the time to crawl through and under our van to do a complete wiring diagram with the location of all connectors and publish it but how much resemblance it would have to any other van is doubtful.
EDIT: As both the Breakaway and ESC systems have to at some point both operate the brakes it would seem logical that they have to connect together at some physical point. Therefore it would seem that what has been done is correct and I would assume that they may be isolated from each other in some way to prevent any possible back feed issue. All my assumption though as without any proper wiring diagram and instructions how are we supposed to know.

Last edited:

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Whilst at the Perth C&C show last weekend I have a chat with the Alko guys and asked them about the wiring of the ESC system on the Jayco's as I am getting this fitted to mine as an aftermarket as it wasn't done in the factory.

The guys were really helpful and advised that Jayco have developed there own wiring loom that can run other devices also that they pre-wire into all the Jayco's and therefore make it easier to install the ESC unit post production however they did also mention that Jayco themselves had done hours and hours of testing with the wiring loom and presented the info back to Alko enabling them to certify it's use, got the feeling it wasnt the way that the Alko rep would like to do it and would like it run completely separate but as the wiring developed by Jayco for this is "supported" he said so I shouldn't have any problems......

Wiring diagram would be helpful too.......

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Well I can tell you that the way ours is hooked up, if one goes, they both go (esc and breakaway). Wasn't happy hearing that, but it explained why we lost both when we happened to be traveling thru NSW the first time.
it should be separate so as not to cause a complete failure of the safety equipment.
(Ours was caused by a faulty battery)