EGR's - CRD Killer

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Most of us have CRD vehicles to drag our vans around, most if not all have a thingy called an EGR system, now this system is to keep the emissions okay, it is being phased out but when who knows ?????
This system slowly kills your engine by choking it, firstly it takes the crank case fumes/vapours which are oil laden and these are passed into your air intake, at certain times the EGR valve will open and let dirty, sooky dry air from your exhaust into the inlet manifold, so you will have dry sooty air mixing with hot oily air swirling around together before entering the combustion chamber but it all doesn't end up in the burning area, some gets left behind forming a tar like goop around your intake, slowly closing the port and killing your engine, much like a smokers lungs................

To combat this there are a few ways to stop this happening, whether legal or not who cares !!!!!!, some engines a blanking cap can be fitted in place of the EGR valve but a small hole usually has to be drilled in it as the ECU has a hissy as it gets false air flow readings these can be combined with a diode/resistor set up to tell the ECU what it needs to hear some work some ,well they tell the ECU it's about 5 deg C so the EGR doesn't open but it also lets the alternator charge the battery at a higher rate because it thinks its cold and battery doesn't like it......you can add a catch can which removes most of the oil from the sump vapours before they get to the manifold, venting the can to atmosphere means you don't get any oily air to make any goop.
About the best way is to get the ECU remapped, not a chip, and done by a respectable mob you will not only improve your engines performance it can shut the EGR down, money well spent if you can afford it.....

This came about as it's Service Time for The Ute, a biggy as it gets Engine, Tranny and Transfer Case oil changes, this is also the time when I clean the MAF sensor and this other sensor (MAP) that pokes into the intake manifold ( Colorado ) the pic shows this sensor before I cleaned with MAF sensor cleaner, it's covered in dry black soot after 40,000kms this soot would be gooey but I have a catch can, it works........The intake at the throttle manifold will get a can of throttle cleaner down it later on to hopefully clean any crap built up in the manifold............I do notice an improvement in general running after I give it all a clean, I don't know if they get serviced by dealers regularly or not, I doubt it though.

PS: It is a Manifold Pressure Sensor, I finally got around to Google the number.

IMG_20170517_133902.jpg

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Most of us have CRD vehicles to drag our vans around, most if not all have a thingy called an EGR system, now this system is to keep the emissions okay, it is being phased out but when who knows ?????
This system slowly kills your engine by choking it, firstly it takes the crank case fumes/vapours which are oil laden and these are passed into your air intake, at certain times the EGR valve will open and let dirty, sooky dry air from your exhaust into the inlet manifold, so you will have dry sooty air mixing with hot oily air swirling around together before entering the combustion chamber but it all doesn't end up in the burning area, some gets left behind forming a tar like goop around your intake, slowly closing the port and killing your engine, much like a smokers lungs................

To combat this there are a few ways to stop this happening, whether legal or not who cares !!!!!!, some engines a blanking cap can be fitted in place of the EGR valve but a small hole usually has to be drilled in it as the ECU has a hissy as it gets false air flow readings these can be combined with a diode/resistor set up to tell the ECU what it needs to hear some work some ,well they tell the ECU it's about 5 deg C so the EGR doesn't open but it also lets the alternator charge the battery at a higher rate because it thinks its cold and battery doesn't like it......you can add a catch can which removes most of the oil from the sump vapours before they get to the manifold, venting the can to atmosphere means you don't get any oily air to make any goop.
About the best way is to get the ECU remapped, not a chip, and done by a respectable mob you will not only improve your engines performance it can shut the EGR down, money well spent if you can afford it.....

This came about as it's Service Time for The Ute, a biggy as it gets Engine, Tranny and Transfer Case oil changes, this is also the time when I clean the MAF sensor and this other sensor that pokes into the intake manifold ( Colorado ) the pic shows this sensor before I cleaned with MAF sensor cleaner, it's covered in dry black soot after 40,000kms this soot would be gooey but I have a catch can, it works........The intake at the throttle manifold will get a can of throttle cleaner down it later on to hopefully clean any crap built up in the manifold............I do notice an improvement in general running after I give it all a clean, I don't know if they get serviced by dealers regularly or not, I doubt it though.

PS: It's a Manifold Pressure Sensor, I finally got around to Google the number.

View attachment 49397
We have a very well respected Diesel place here called Berrima diesel.

They are very critical of ECU remaps, and caution to make sure that the remap is done properly.

They post videos all the time of vehicles they are seeing overfuleling and having issues as a result of remaps that are not properly tuned.

They are big supporters of good quality oil fume separators (catch cans) as being essential on all vehicles fitted with EGR

http://www.berrimadiesel.com/home/media/

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I have a catch can and also got a can of spray not manifold cleaner to keep this build up at bay 35 bucks a can you rev the car at a certin rev and spray the hole can in i sposed to help with any build up i wont be remapping or blocking it in the prado as its not good to do engine light comming on all the time and other issues when they come up with a system for prados i mite do it but at this time they dont
Its good advise but not for everyone it is what it is

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats the thing @Bellbirdweb , remapping requires a professional job which balances everything out and doesn't melt the turbo or throw a leg, with injectors costing a small mortage it could be costly, a lot of the jobs are not much chop in the long term from what I've read, but thats for another thread.......A Catch Can is about the most affordable option and a must I reckon.
On my old Grand Cherokee since it had a Benz power plant, the Benz guru's in Europe had a simple electronic set up you could make for about $4 which kept the EGR shut with no codes or any other nasty things happening.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I serviced the Jeep last weekend for the first time,I had to you tube the oil filter as i couldnt find the damn thing!!!! The engine has oil coming out of every orifus, the sump was covered, the intercooler hose was dripping with oil so I can only imagine what the manifold looks like! I had a look to see where a catch can would fit but the engine bay is so full of stuff, I'm at a loss what to do, it has almost 120K on the clock and drives like a train, it has had a hard life when towing like extreme heat for long periods, lots of dirt and it get told to move along I usually sit on around 105K but have had it around 130K with the van passing road trains and silly old drivers in modern cars sitting on 85 on the hi way. I might just keep it and see where it ends up, Im not really concerned with the oil leaks, its only a smear and typical for a smelly diesel I thought, if it plays up its gone though, probably trade it on a second hand Mazda BT50 or similar but don't particullaly want a ute.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Is this the Catch Can you show in your post @Bellbirdweb? Are they any good or difficult to fit?
@chartrock looks like the same one but most likely a copy at that price.

I know the genuine provent catch cans are really good.

My 100 series doesn't need one but a mate fitted one to his Prado and it was pretty simple.

You can also plumb these so the oil returns to the sump making it a truly closed system.

When I get my 200 series it will be my 1st purchase

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep, easy to fit especially if you leave the plastic engine covers in the shed. You can get a whole kit which even comes with a bracket, that the big pain if you have to make one. Mine doesn't vent into the intake though.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Now im no mechanic but after getting all work recently done to prado new injectors motor cleaned timing chain mmmm what else ??? My mechinic who seems to very good dose a lot of race cars and the like seems to know his stuff he dosnt like any cheap plastic catch can you pay for what you get he built mine from scratch its very big but seems to do the job all made from alloy
It goes from rocker cover to top of turbo where it used to go but now its cleaned on the way cost me 500

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
This probably explains it a lot better than my ramblings and does talk about blanking plates.

What is the exhaust gas recirculation system or “EGR”

The EGR valve, or Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, is a vacuum controlled valve which allows a specific amount of your exhaust back into the intake manifold. The exhaust your EGR valve recirculates reduces the formation of Nitrogen related gases referred to as NOx emissions. These recycled exhaust fumes also displace some of the clean air that would otherwise be drawn into the engine. Because the combustion chamber is cooler due in part to the added exhaust fumes and because there’s less oxygen, less NOx is produced and this is a good thing.

However on the bad side, because the EGR’s recycled exhaust gas displaces some of the clean air within the combustion chamber, the engine’s efficiency is reduced. For this reason, the EGR system doesn’t operate during times of heavy acceleration. It also doesn’t operate during idle, because the presence of exhaust gases at idle tends to cause uncontrollable rough running.

EGR systems operate primarily when the vehicle is cruising under light load. Because there is less demand on the engine at these times, the engine can afford to temporarily lose some capacity.

In the real world however, EGR systems often don’t work very well.

The exhaust gases from the vehicle’s engine contain much more than just carbon dioxide: they also contain dozens of chemical by-products, left behind after the fuel was burnt inside the engine. One of these by-products is a fine dust, known as carbon particulates. This dust is mostly unburnt carbon fuel and over time, the carbon dust inside the exhaust gases begins to clog up the EGR system and worse deposits the carbon dust into the clean air intake system on the vehicle.

Benefits of Blocking the EGR system

1) Blocking the EGR will certainly stop the carbon particulates from the exhaust clogging up the inlet manifold.

2) When blocking the EGR port you are redirecting 100% of the exhaust gases back out the exhaust via the turbo. The turbo now has total exhaust pressure turning the blades which means the turbo will spool up quicker.

3) No carbon partials entering the vehicle in intake which keeps vacuum and boost lines cleaner .

4) Less engine oil contamination. Many carbon partials that enter the air intake through the EGR system find their way into the oil system. This has a tendency to clog the oil galleries and greatly increase premature engine wear.

Please notice

1) It is not a legal modification to change the way the vehicle’s emission control system functions. This modification is recommended for off road and race vehicles. There is however no road side diesel emissions testing of vehicles in Australia. All Diesel emission tests are carried out at the time of original engine certification.

2) In some cases fitting an EGR blanking plate will cause a fault code to appear or the “check engine light” to come on. This is because the ECU will read an incorrect flow on the EGR system. For these type vehicles may need an EGR blanking plate with a hole in the centre to allow enough EGR flow to satisfy the ECU whilst restricting the majority of exhaust gas to the intake.

In all cases we leave it up to the individual customer to decide if they wish to do this modification.

2.jpg

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
In view of @Drover ramblings and explanations of ERG, MAF and MAP sensors and valves, I was terrorised into looking into mine.
MAF was good but MAP was in worse condition than @Drover.
All cleaned now and HPD catch can fitted. Ordered it yesterday, it arrived today and is already fitted! Excellent service from HPD!
I will try to upload fotos of dirty and cleaned MAP sensor. I think it worked!!!
DSCN4323.JPG
DSCN4325.JPG

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
WOW, :o...I was wondering what one looked like without having a Catch Can in the system, pretty yucky, mine cleaned up in about 2 or 3 good squirts.....................................next week the donk gets a can of this pumped down the intake plumbing, to clean out any build up in the intake manifold might make a blanking plate next week and see how things run.
2730.png

PhilW

Jul 12, 2015
Sydney. Northern Beaches.
As mentioned, the catch can deals with positive crankcase ventilation(PCV.... a process of plumbing an oily vapour (Blow by) back through your engine via the turbo, to be "burnt off" at a high temperature).
The catch can condenses this vapour through the replaceable filter then allows clean air to pass back to the engine.
Just make sure your catch can has a pressure relief valve fitted as per the Provent 200.
It is my understanding you want to maintain positive crankcase pressure. A blocked catch can or associated hoses will cause a negative pressure resulting in untold damage to your engine. :bolt:

Last edited:

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
WOW, :o...I was wondering what one looked like without having a Catch Can in the system, pretty yucky, mine cleaned up in about 2 or 3 good squirts.....................................next week the donk gets a can of this pumped down the intake plumbing, to clean out any build up in the intake manifold might make a blanking plate next week and see how things run.
2730.png
I fitted a Pro Vent last week and had the egr block off plate with a hole to stop error codes but they are pretty much useless with the hole. I since had a tune with egr delete. Today I used a can of this stuff to give the system a clean out.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No problem of pressure with mine @PhilW the hose will pop off, .................and @Tone the holes in the plate is what held me back making one but I think I will experiment and just start off with a very small hole and see, the less soot the better I suppose but the can is most certainly worth it.

If I ever have to pull the engine out there will be some plumbing changes.

PhilW

Jul 12, 2015
Sydney. Northern Beaches.
The problem with the modern Diesel engine is two fold. It is a combination of EGR and PCV, ie the mix of soot and oil vapour that causes the solid carbon build in the manifold etc.
Many argue that removing one of these two contributing factors is all that is needed to deal with the issue
I had a Triton for a few years and researched this issue via the New Triton forum.
There is a thought over there that PCV vapour alone is fine to pass through the engine if it is not mixed with EGR or vice versa.
A lot of guys are electronically controlling the EGR via a resistor module (tapped into a temperature feed from the MAF sensor) and leaving the PCV side of things alone.
Just a thought.

Last edited: