Electrical Ecotherm Heater

Luke14

May 4, 2014
Ballarat Victoria.
Hi, I was just wanting to know if anyone can help me with wiring for the swift ecotherm heater. There is the pump, heater and the thermostat and it says to wire them together, however am I suppose to run a wire straight to the battery or tap into an existing wire? The information they supply is very basic and it has got me stumped. I tried to run it to the battery but it kept blowing the fuse. The wiring on the pump and heater is very small and says it has to be 1amp so running direct to the battery might not be a good idea,
Any info would be much appreciated.
Luke

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi, I was just wanting to know if anyone can help me with wiring for the swift ecotherm heater. There is the pump, heater and the thermostat and it says to wire them together, however am I suppose to run a wire straight to the battery or tap into an existing wire? The information they supply is very basic and it has got me stumped. I tried to run it to the battery but it kept blowing the fuse. The wiring on the pump and heater is very small and says it has to be 1amp so running direct to the battery might not be a good idea,
Any info would be much appreciated.
Luke

Hi @Luke14 , I am not familiar with the heater you are referring to, but a few basic electrical ideas may be of help to you. When they say " wire them together" they do not mean that physically!! I believe they mean that they ALL have to be connected for the unit to heat properly, but in each individual way. Firstly, if the heater is the electrical type, it is a heavy user of power and should be wired DIRECTLY to the battery terminals or 240 volt system. However for the thermostat to work, the thermo MUST be connected in Series with the main heating wire, so it can cut the electrical current to the heater (when it gets hot) and turn it on again (when it is below temp setting) as necessary. The pump should be wired to a separate electrical circuit outlet if possible, ALTHOUGH it may have to be part of the circuit that is controlled by the thermostat. This would be the case if when you turned the water off, the pump would stop and the heater circuit (for the water) may also disconnect to prevent overheating whilst no water is flowing. Just a few ideas thrown in, but it will depend on how/what it is designed. Do you have a wiring diagram for the unit (instructions for setting up)?? If so, please send copy as I may then be able to assist. Otherwise, I would suggest talking to a "sparkie" and get him to connect up for you. You do not want to have "the smoke and fire demons" showing themselves at any time. So far, the blown fuse is a warning that things are not right!! Good luck.
PS. I think the 1amp is wrong and should be 10amp.
Details I found after providing "possible" connections, which are probably a bit misleading.

http://www.jenkagroup.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/swift-heater-installation-guide.jpg