NSW Dubbo - Western Plains Zoo Visit

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
G'day everyone, looking to plan an adventure to WPZ in Dubbo. Looking for advice on a good park, with safety and security being my only concern with recent posts reflecting negative concerns when searching on Google.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
we have heard lots of negatives from caravan park safety to even cars being broken into at the zoo personally have not been to wpz dubbo because of the rumours. Also heard of poptops being slashed in caravan parks and wallets stolen etc

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Stopped on the way to Melbourne Nov last year. It's like any place, there are bad elements every where. Just don't leave anything in plain site to encourage them. Stayed at the Discovery Parks caravan park as it was a bit cheaper and had no probs. Stayed on the way back to Brisvegas as well and was all fine.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Parklands Big4 is closest to the zoo haven't stayed there but friends have said it was OK, but as the saying goes "LOCK IT or LOSE IT"

but that goes for any park.

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
You can stay at a town called Yeoval only 45 min from the zoo. Accommodation is very basic at the town showground but the fee is small. Not much around and you'll probably be camping alone, but it is quiet and safe. FYI Yeoval was the home of Banjo Paterson for his first 3 years and the town has a few things to celebrate that.

cruiser

Apr 30, 2012
Have stayed at both the big4 and Westview caravan park on visits to Dubbo for the zoo. Never had any problems at either. Big4 gets the noise from the newel highway which goes most of the night with the trucks. Westview is on the Mitchell highway just past the old drive in and when we stayed the noise died down after about 11pm. A lot less trucks heading that direction it seemed.

Now I have had problem with stuff being stolen from tuross beach caravan park and seen kids going through someone's else's gear at Port Macquarie caravan park (one on breakwall) until they were chased away, so it happens everywhere.

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
We stayed at the Dubbo City Caravan Park at the beginning of 2012 and spent 2 days at the zoo with no problems at all.

The caravan park has a bit of road noise but seems to have one by about 9pm and one night at about 1am a train crossed the river and was a bit noisy but other than that it was great.

I think it wouldn't matter where you stayed thing will get stolen if you don't lock them up or hide them.

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
Just thought I would revive this old thread.

Has anyone had any experience with Dubbo lately?

We were hoping to go over there towards the end of next week but I am still undecided on where to stay. The better half was interested in the big 4 but I have read quite a few bad reports but most of them are from 2014 and earlier, I haven't seen to many comments on what it is like there now.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
We went in 2014. We stayed at the BIG4. Good park but the ground was HARD, especially if you need to bash pegs in for anything. We would happily stay again though. Because of this I carry a cordless screwdriver and use coarse coach screws. Lazy I know! Get a few looks but they work!!! I use them for the awning legs and ropes if needed. I also carry the driver for the drop down legs.

We walked around the zoo and locked our car as usual. Nothing in sight and no issues. If you have small kids you can drive or ride bikes. Our kids loved the Africa section!

Reactions: Sammy D

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
We stayed the October long weekend last year at the Big 4. There was a Koori league competition on and there was all sorts of issues in the park with kids running riot through the sites and the adults punching on after dark and security not doing a thing. Police and Ambos attended. Management notified the next morning and were going to "talk" to their security company. Might be a different story out of peak season.

Reactions: Sammy D

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Just spent a couple of nights last month in Dubbo Mid City Caravan Park (Top Tourist $33 per night for powered site) it was pretty good the staff were friendly and helpful. The gates are locked at night and your gate PIN is issued at check in and changed weekly. I asked about security and they said they had no real problems. Why this is the situation is that they are security aware, like many van parks way too much night lighting, it was very bright all night. They also have staff and a security guard who patrol at night. It is a bit off putting at 2 am when you hear something outside and you get up to look and it is the security guard moving the sprinklers around. Apart from the normal highway road noise and the efficient security guard there is little noise.

The centre of town is a short walk from the van park and if the markets are on they are just across the river next to Tourist Info centre and worth a visit. The zoo was good and worth the visit and across the road from the van park was a really good Thai restaurant, that does great takeaway. In summary Dubbo was worth the visit and would use the Mid city caravan park again.

duncandonuts

Jan 19, 2015
Eastwood
www.duncandonuts.info
Stayed at this park 2 weeks ago, absolutely fantastic. We had an ensuite site, all of them were drive through. The kids loved the pool and jumping pillow. 5-10min from the zoo (and golf course which was fantastic). The buffet at the Dubbo railway bowling club was great. Food was yummy and about $60 for the whole family. Recommend you book even during the week. As well as the take away Thai mentioned, there was every type of take away you could want within 5 min walk (subway, opporto, fish n choppy, hungry Jacks etc). We didn't do that this time, but super convenient

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Just recommended Dubbo city holiday park on the other thread.

Highly recommended for all age groups.

Reactions: The Goodwins