Dubbo to Helensvale

Lamal

Jun 9, 2018
Victoria
We are heading to QLD in our new Expanda these school holidays. We are from Melbourne. We will be ok direction wise until we get to Dubbo. Just wanting some advice about the next leg of our trip. Which direction is easier to tow? I have seen a few recommendations to go via Armidale. But I am just not sure. Thanks so much.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
The Newel is ok but can be a pain being single lane most of it a bit ruff its not the best road but its still a hwy trucks will allways be on your tail id go hume much better road double lane stay overnight at lane cove nat park sydney not far over bridge to the north then up early and out of there ????? Others may say diffrent

lee

Dec 5, 2013
Victoria
We got home home from the Gold Coast on Friday last week after a 3 week trip to Airlie beach, Yeppoon, Bundaberg, Hervey Bay, Maroochydore, and Gold Coast , we came though Beaudesert, Aratula Warwick ,Goondiwindi and then down the newel hey , the roads were good some big hills though Beaudesert but not as big as the hills going though Toowoomba we have done this trip many times as will alway go this way , will have done Toowoomba once before and will never go that way again. We did Showgrounds on the way home they are $20 a night with power water and toilets and showers we have stayed at the following Showgrounds Finley, peak hill and Narrabri

Attachments

• 95C25347-C372-4829-B10D-47C85D51827B.png
    95C25347-C372-4829-B10D-47C85D51827B.png
    610.3 KB · Views: 333
Reactions: DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
All depends on what you call a hill, the ones around Toowoomba etc are just bumps, while I call hills around Tumbarumba proper hills and a pain to tow, we always travel the Melb run using non highway routes, I hate the highways, from Dubbo to Gold Coast I would go Dubbo, Dunnedoo, Coolah, Gunedah, Manilla, Warialda, Texas, Inglewood then just barrel along the Cunningham Hwy to Warwick and onto GC.....you could run the Bruxner from Texas thru Tenterfield then down thru the hills into Beaudesert and Canungra to the GC but some big bluddy hills thru Canungrs but no trucks......using the Cunningham Gap isn't really a biggie, just use your gear box, its just a long slow downhill run.

The roads mentioned to Inglewood are great runs in a van, buggerall trucks and its a nice easy hassle free drive with quite a few nice places to stop.......you may need more time as places like Bingara call out for a long stop to check out the place.

Last edited:
Reactions: chartrock and DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You know the old saying @Drover , go down the hill in the same gear you went up, I just can't bring myself to come down Cunninghams in overdrive in the jeep:p

Bahahahahaha...........just keep your eyes closed and its all good.