Toy Hauler drawbar toolbox mount mod:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Actually I reckon chuck the gas bottle in milk crate with a big block of HD foam stuffed on top and close the lid, must work as I carted bottle for barbie in semi on a K exercise in NT all over the place, no drama.............well could have as the floor of the tool box came away and I drove over my tools and chains, so lucky I guess that it didn't fit in that box........lol.

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
I don't want to get into a clash of ideas here so will refrain from further comment except to say the gas bottle I saw come off a vehicle was supposedly held on by a strap, not checked for ages, and it was a lethal missile then, when it hit the road, the valve burst and a danger to all within surrounding area.

I don't muck around with gas. Near enough is not good enough, as said.
I guess it was not inside a box?
Are perished straps not being checked a maintainence issue or a strap issue?

I would not mount an exposed cylinder with just a strap either, but when the cylinder is already retained inside the tool box I'm satisfied with a strap. Evidently so are the manufacturers of many caravans.....
Thanks for your input (I asked for criticism by posting) I'm not offended by your posts.
There is a reason not to provide the added security you suggest, as I would not be able to remove the cylinders with a solid mount.
I have considered it and am confident that I have addressed it, and that my system is more secure than factory, and is safe.
Happy to disagree, cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
Ha ha, some of you will be happy to hear that I have removed the chainsaw and fuel.....
....I got the sh**s with it leaking bar oil inside the box ;)
The box only contains a plastic toolbox plus tie downs/ramps/hoses/leads now...

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ha ha, some of you will be happy to hear that I have removed the chainsaw and fuel.....
....I got the sh**s with it leaking bar oil inside the box ;)
The box only contains a plastic toolbox plus tie downs/ramps/hoses/leads now...

No fun in that at all, I actually prefer liquid fuel and oil outside mainly for the stink and mess anyway, straps wear but so long as the bottle doesn't wear a hole in the floor all is good.....hell, if you have a prang and a bottle goes flying then it will be the least of your worries, at least it is contained in the box with a pile of stuff holding it down I am more worried in that situation with the stuff people just fling into the back of their wagons that just sit there waiting, waiting to embed themselves in the back of you and your passengers head............................gas bottles like fuel tanks are pretty safe when damaged, the slab of beer doing 160k from the back to front is more dangerous................So your set up is pretty good.

and then there was the truck I checked out with Oxygen cylinders onboard, no problem but the pallet of oil drums got me worried...........

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I am more worried in that situation with the stuff people just fling into the back of their wagons that just sit there waiting, waiting to embed themselves in the back of you and your passengers head............................

I hear you @Drover

way way back in the dream time, when I was a lad..........
I screwed a couple of speakers onto the back parcel shelf of my HQ GTS

didnt help when the guy pulled in front of me and I totaled both my car and his
and I had a freaking speaker hit me in the back of the head (maybe thats why...........................)
2mm in any direction would have paralyzed me

lesson well and truly learnt

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had 2 x Unimogs chained down on the trailer, the big knob said I didn't need the extra chain that I had fitted, an extra safety chain as the front and rear gates were down, I ignored him and as I pulled into The Blue Heeler pub, there was a big bang, the front Mog broke it's chain and rolled forward, stopped 20mm from the cab and me, my not needed extra chain had worked........always take the safe way.

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
That is a nice set-up....
Any reason you chose a single line over the twin?
EDIT: just saw you have the 2way valve mounted, but no pig tails......
My local gas bloke sells stainless braided lines in a range of lengths at relatively low cost, much better than having hard copper lines getting moved/bent/bumped all the time and fatigueing the joints/rubbing through the grommet in the box....

The stock mounts can't be used in my set up anyway, as there is not enough room to lift them out vertically, hence a soft mount is essential.

I can also assure you I have seen far more gas cylinder incidents and mva's than the average joe, and am fully aware of what happens in car crashes and gas fires.
I'm satisfied with the security of the cylinders, and am confident it far exceeds the standard shown on many other factory set-ups.

Thanks for the feedback, if you guys want to inspect it in person, you better bring a 6pack ;)

True that willis, with your experience in this field and your mechanical/eng skills I would be more than satisfied you've done a solid job and considered the safety/security side involved with mounting these cylinders :)
Still haven't heard back when I can book mine in lol. Have a good crissy!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds like the issues have been dealt with.

Good luck with whole set up and enjoy the van.

:amen:

Reactions: nawill

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
True that willis, with your experience in this field and your mechanical/eng skills I would be more than satisfied you've done a solid job and considered the safety/security side involved with mounting these cylinders :)
Still haven't heard back when I can book mine in lol. Have a good crissy!

Book it in anytime.... I have enough steel laying around to do it, just get a spare wheel winch from Glenn's 4x4 wreckers in town ($40), and the box was $400 from total tools, about $120 in stainless bolts and gas fittings from Lloyds and specialty fasteners.....
There may also be a bottle if sailor Jerry's rum required to get it all fitted up properly :)

I was at Jayco today.... Thought I might benchmark my set up against a new factory van with gas cylinders in the boot:

Check out the mounting of cylinders inside the boot of this new camper, sitting well outside the structure of the drawbar, enclosed only by the fibreglass shell at the front:
image.jpeg

The mounting straps are retained by (2) 6g screws through the plastic bracket into the ply divider (I comparison to my m8 stainless bolts with20mm washers in 2mm ally plate!
image.jpeg

there might not be a light in the compartment, but there might as well be! The back of the front clearance light with the wiring is open in the top of the gas compartment:
image.jpeg

And there is minimal ventilation, just 2 x ~15 mm holes, one of which is blocked by the gas line running through it in the base of the compartment:
image.jpeg

I left with a fair bit of confidence in my set up..... And for $9 each I bought 2 of those dinky looking plastic bases in the pic above for the the cylinders to sit on and stop the wearing through the base of the box;)
And some LP gas stickers for the box.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    730.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

Nagga's

Sep 23, 2013
The Sunny Pilbara WA
Well said @Dobbie and totally agree!

Yes but the bottle was stationary and got knocked over..... a large industrial bottle.... I won't go into details but lets just say seeing grown men running with skin literately melting from arms and legs is a sight that doesn't get wiped easily from the old memory bank!!!! Even after 30+ years since it happened!

@nawill I have a similar setup to yours but used the original metal holders braced underneath back to the original mounting brackets... Can almost see them in the attached!
View attachment 37672
Hey David, in your spare time can you send me some pics through of how to attached your toolbox and the gas bottles please?

RobRoy

Apr 20, 2017
Perth
Well said @Dobbie and totally agree!

Yes but the bottle was stationary and got knocked over..... a large industrial bottle.... I won't go into details but lets just say seeing grown men running with skin literately melting from arms and legs is a sight that doesn't get wiped easily from the old memory bank!!!! Even after 30+ years since it happened!

@nawill I have a similar setup to yours but used the original metal holders braced underneath back to the original mounting brackets... Can almost see them in the attached!
View attachment 37672
Adding life to an old post, I am planning this same toolbox and bottles as dagree. Also from sunny wa I see. My question is, should the bottles be in seperate compartments. I have read that they should. If so will cheap Bunnings checkerplate riveted or strong double side tape be an adequate
“wall” I will use all original regulators and pipes, they hardly have to move. And the original regulator support can be incorporated behind the box for the regulators to bolt through to.