Drawbar set-up big dissapointment !

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Hey all again.
For me this is where all my business takes place . Am I the only one that may think this part of the 2011 range has miss out on design basics to be used to capacity. Or are people quite content with it?

My reason being is that I would love to add some sort of aluminium storage system on here for all the nic nacs , HOWEVER , there is two gas bottles in the way along with an extremely poorly designed or excuse for a spare wheel carrier.

Can somehow the spare be moved from this position & Maybe stood upright on some sort of mounting bracket between the two bottles. Then perhaps enough room to mount a full width storage box accross the front of them.

Does anyone have any suggestions ? And also anyone carry at all two spares. Up here in NTH QLD two spares is a standard thing when travelling remote.

I have ordered my expanda 18.57-8 with the 300mm drawbar extension to maybe give me that little bit extra to play around with.

Any ideas out there fellas ?

Cheers,
Doggy.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
If you look in the photos section under 17.56-2 mods you will see this type of modification done.
The spare has been attached using a Toyota hilux spare wheel winch.
Gas bottles have been fitted in the toolbox as has a 3.5 kv generator.

Cheers

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I agree and thats why I went with the extended draw bar

van2.jpg

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Thanks Bully, I did have a look at that one mate. Not sure if I want to store the LPG in there given such extreme temps up here in the height of the build up mate. But over all Thats the sort of idea I am looking at. A storage system right thru side to side & will incorporate my box as the stone deflector covered in Rhino linning accross the front of it & angled in such a way it deflects them ugly rocks downward.

Mfexpanda, good idea mate. can u get everything u need in that box ? One would be crazy not to address this before purchase , well I think anyway.

Cheers all.
Doggy

Gaz70

Banned
Sep 14, 2011
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
DSCN2124.JPG

giday guys,

i recently purchased a 16.49-3 OB 2011, with 300mm extended drawbar, to put a storage box on the drawbar....I fitted 1500x600x500 alloy box, with the two gas bottles in front of the box, relocated the spare wheel to the rear bar, folding carrier similiar to the windsor rapid..

Attachments

• DSCN2119.JPG
    DSCN2119.JPG
    690.4 KB · Views: 469

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Nice work, factory quality stuff!! I'm currently installing a box to the front of our expanda, and soon will produce a rear bar similar to yours but with a bike rack instead of the spare wheel. Any chance of a pic and some details of what the rear bar looks like under the van?

Cheers,
Drewy

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Very nice work Gaz, any more info or more pics mate. This is very similar to what I have planned for mine.

Cheers and welcome to the forum

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Hey Gaz,

Looks great!

Is that a standard box avail at a certain auto parts outlet? or did you have it made? I was looking at something very similar. It's a good fit & doesn't get in the way of the front door.
The drop down spare on the rear is also something I was looking at. Similar to the Windsor one.
Thanks for the good info.
Paul

Gaz70

Banned
Sep 14, 2011
Sunshine Coast, Queensland

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Top work Gaz, Jayco would struggle to come up with a solution as quality looking as that. Thanks for sharing, i'm sure a lot of people reading will be inspired!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
i recently purchased a 16.49-3 OB 2011, with 300mm extended drawbar, to put a storage box on the drawbar....I fitted 1500x600x500 alloy box, with the two gas bottles in front of the box, relocated the spare wheel to the rear bar, folding carrier similiar to the windsor rapid..

Gaz, would you mind posting a couple of pics of where/how the rear bar is attached, and also one side on of the spare wheel carrier?
Cheers
Andrew

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
HI GUYS ive fitted a 500x500x1100 ally box to the front of my 16 footer and fitted the gas bottles inside with ample room for the easy to get at stuff also incorperating the windsor drop down carrier which i just had cold galved -came up a treat
i have been trying to download fotos but says the files r too big -i think i need a 5yr old to show me
but i will persist
russell

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
HI GUYS ive fitted a 500x500x1100 ally box to the front of my 16 footer and fitted the gas bottles inside with ample room for the easy to get at stuff also incorperating the windsor drop down carrier which i just had cold galved -came up a treat
i have been trying to download fotos but says the files r too big -i think i need a 5yr old to show me
but i will persist
russell

This might help you reduce your pics.

FIRSTLY MAKE A BACK UP OF YOUR PICTURES SO YOU CAN KEEP THE ORIGINAL FILE SIZES.

Right click with your mouse over the file you wish to reduce and select "open with" then select "paint"

This will open the picture up in Microsoft Paint to reduce the file size. Below are instructions on Windows XP and Windows 7 programs.

1. Once the above is done and the picture is opened in Microsoft Paint simply select "image" at the top of screen and then "Sketch Skew".
  2. Change the "Horizontal" to 50% and change the "vertical" to 50%
  3. This will reduce the size of the image, now just save it.
  4. Check to see if It's under 1.9mb.(most forums have a 1.9mb max size. NOT SURE FOR THIS FORUM) If It's still over then repeat the process. You can also change the percentage to whatever you like to do it in one shot. On average a file size around 8mb will need to be reduced up to around 70-80% and a file size around 3-4mb will only need 50%. Trial and Error will get you there.
  1. Once the above is done and the picture is opened in Microsoft Paint simply select "Resize" at the top of screen.
  2. Change the "Horizontal" to 50%. The vertical will change to 50% as well.This will reduce the size of the image, now just save it.
  3. Check to see if It's under 1.9mb. If It's still over then repeat the process. You can also change the percentage to whatever you like to do it in one shot.
attachment.php
= Dispose of computer in appropriate bin and purchase a PC.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
GREATwork there nisspat but i could only get the fotos as far as my profile as you can tell by now not too crash hot with computers
so check out my profile guys
cheers russell

Reactions: straydingo