Drawbar modifications

Rowdman

Mar 14, 2011
Hi folks,

I'm a newbie to this forum and to my Expanda too ! I have a 2010 16.49.2 and intend taking the kids through the red centre later this year.

Anyway, it came with a 9kg gas bottle holder and I'd like to mount another one - somewhere. I'd also like to add a tool box - somewhere.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,
R.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Rowdman and welcome to the forum. You can purchase a gas bottle holder and clamp or weld it to the draw bar beside the existing one but this would take up the space where you might fit a tool box. Can you post up a couple of photos of the van?
Regards
Paul

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi folks,

I'm a newbie to this forum and to my Expanda too ! I have a 2010 16.49.2 and intend taking the kids through the red centre later this year.

Anyway, it came with a 9kg gas bottle holder and I'd like to mount another one - somewhere. I'd also like to add a tool box - somewhere.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,
R.

Hi Rowdman,

I had a similar problem on my Jayco Hawk. I wasn't too keen on welding anything to the drawbar, so decided to use a standard 4.5kg gas bottle holder and some long square u bolts to hold in place. Worked a treat;)

Might be a simple solution you could try. We just used the smaller bottle to run the weber q. The smaller bottle may fit better under the folder down bed as well (i think the 9kg on the Expanda is offset and lower than most caravans/campers):cool:

KC

Attachments

• gas bottle.JPG
    gas bottle.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,934

Rowdman

Mar 14, 2011
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice !

I've got a bracket getting built that will allow me to hang the gas bottle off the outside of the drawbar (using u-bolts). I hope to have it later this week and all going well I'll load some pics here shortly after.

Fingers crossed.

Rowdman

Mar 14, 2011
Problem solved

Now I'm thinking about replacing the original one too. That way I'll have enough room to install a toolbox above the spare tyre.

If anyone has any ideas on a "quick release" toolbox, please drop me a line.

Attachments

• bracket4.jpg
    bracket4.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 2,095
  • bracket3.jpg
    bracket3.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 2,196
  • bracket2.jpg
    bracket2.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 2,202
  • bracket 1.jpg
    bracket 1.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 3,439

Rowdman

Mar 14, 2011
Thanks Moto Moto - We are pretty happy with it too.

Chatrock - I intend getting another one made. If there are a few people that would like some made I guess I could ask for a few more?

Rowdman

Mar 14, 2011
Thanks.

I'm actually trying to leave some room on the drawbar for a toolbox. It will need to be low profile though as it needs to sit under the bed base and above the tyre! (Bloody tyre sits about 20 mm above the drawbar height - silly design !).

Anyway, I'm on the hunt for something like this.

If I can find one, I guess I'll need to build a mounting braket.

Life wasn't meant to be easy.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Your not wrong about the spare its a bit a catch 22 its a bit low for general offoroad clearance and it does also sit proud of the drawbar.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I've been contemplating having a toolbox fitted to the rear by replacing the rediculous rear bar with a bar made from RHS that will mount to the chassis using existing points
but will extend out a bit more for a box to be bolted to. Just gotta find one that has a top and side opening for access when the rear bed is down.

Also will need to relocate number plate onto box....no biggie!!

Rowdman

Mar 14, 2011
Not a bad idea Matty4, Thanks!.

Unfortunately I have already mounted a pole holder on that rear bar.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I've been contemplating having a toolbox fitted to the rear by replacing the rediculous rear bar with a bar made from RHS that will mount to the chassis using existing points
but will extend out a bit more for a box to be bolted to. Just gotta find one that has a top and side opening for access when the rear bed is down.

Also will need to relocate number plate onto box....no biggie!!

I like the way your thinking Matty4!

Rowdman

Mar 14, 2011
Stage 2 : Complete

Two gas bottles loaded and the drawbar is clear.

clear draw bar.jpg

Now for the toolbox . . . .

grip toolbox.jpg