domestic travel insurance

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
hi, does anyone have any experience or knowledge of domestic travel insurance , we have RACQ ultra to cover the tug breakdown and recovery fees etc but when outlaying pretty big $$ on such things as ferry trips and bookings does anyone take out domestic travel insurance. ,, just wondering. ,, ps, not trying to sell anything

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
hi, does anyone have any experience or knowledge of domestic travel insurance , we have RACQ ultra to cover the tug breakdown and recovery fees etc but when outlaying pretty big $$ on such things as ferry trips and bookings does anyone take out domestic travel insurance. ,, just wondering. ,, ps, not trying to sell anything
I have not taken out travel insurance when just travelling by car and van. I have however always taken out travel insurance when travelling on a tour in Australia. RACQ has the best rate with their underwriter Tokio Marine. @poor but proud, give them a ring and see what they have to offer as regards possible risks/cover and cost.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Never thought about it myself but I suppose makes sense in a way, I can't afford to take a touristy trip let alone buy insurance............... some steam train runs I would like to do in NSW which cover a couple of days or that boat run from Broome to Darwin being in the small change from $10K would certainly make insurance a worthy look at.

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
I guess if you are booking a number of tours through a trip and prepaying it would certainly be worthwhile in case the trip goes pear shaped for some reason. Insurance is available for domestic travel...

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
reading the above replies, i will look into some type of insurance in case of medical issues etc.some of the offered travel policies only cover medical up to 69 years of age, so that ship has sailed, my main concern is one of us getting sick leaving the other stranded a long way from home ,there are clauses in some of our normal insurances which include eg.AUSSIE ASSIST, so all of my policies will get a good read of the current PDF. and possible swap some of my insurance between companies that offer extras to suit our travels,

Reactions: Boots in Action

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
A friend of mine had an "episode" in outback NSW and had to be urgently medivac'd out of there by the RFDS leaving their car and van behind. I believe CIL their Insurer arranged transport of both the car and van back to Sydney for them...

Reactions: poor but proud

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
A friend of mine had an "episode" in outback NSW and had to be urgently medivac'd out of there by the RFDS leaving their car and van behind. I believe CIL their Insurer arranged transport of both the car and van back to Sydney for them...
we also had an episode when we were in Darwin , no specalists available , one plan was to fly me to Adelaide for attention leaving the missus ,van and tug in Darwin, as i was not a local no mention of getting me back to Darwin???? so we packed up and ran for home Darwin to Redlands in 6 days ,saw my specalist the day we got back and surgery two days later, by the way ,the missus never really wanted to tow the van , but she drove Darwin to home , now wants to do at least half the driving , she realised that the drive beats snoozing our trips away , (but dont tell her i still cant snooze while she is in the pilot seat). i also have CIL van insurance but never really read what we were entitled to, pays to know what spend your money on

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
reading the above replies, i will look into some type of insurance in case of medical issues etc.some of the offered travel policies only cover medical up to 69 years of age, so that ship has sailed, my main concern is one of us getting sick leaving the other stranded a long way from home ,there are clauses in some of our normal insurances which include eg.AUSSIE ASSIST, so all of my policies will get a good read of the current PDF. and possible swap some of my insurance between companies that offer extras to suit our travels,
aussie assist was quietly withdrawn as of 30 sept 2022 , never saw that in print or racq newsletter???

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
aussie assist was quietly withdrawn as of 30 sept 2022 , never saw that in print or racq newsletter???

Interesting but I just thouhgt it was part of RACQ Ultimate road service which has provisions for getting me back home along with my rig ..... one must read the fine print in these things as I got caught by getting 2 tows a few years back the second tow ate my accomadation allowance, first tow was back to one horse town on a Sunday arvo, 2nd was to bigger town next day to get repairs, I'll know for next time....

their FAQ page had this ;

"RACQ made the difficult decision to cease offering and supporting Aussie Assist from 30 September 2022.

Aussie Assist was a benefit offered to members (not including business members) that provided access to travel and transportation assistance if a member or an immediate relative was more than 100km from home within Australia and encountered a medical emergency or death of a family member.

Due to the limitations on when the Aussie Assist benefit could be accessed, usage of the service was low. However, we continue to be there for members and the community through our support of the RACQ Choppers and Rescue Network, providing lifesaving care and transportation when it’s needed most.

Aussie Assist is separate from any RACQ product, and its removal does not impact existing inclusions or entitlements you may have through your existing products, including insurance and roadside assistance."