17' Series Does the 2015 17.56.2 mattress fitting in 2014 model?

The Bucky's

May 25, 2014
Hello all,

I was recently having a sticky beak at the new design of the 17.56.2OB and noticed that the mattress was a slightly different design. We have a 2014 17.56.2 model and had to buy a mattress topper for the beds due to the divider/joiner part of the mattress being very uncomfortable(as i'm sure you have all found). the new mattress divider/joiner is right in the middle, which would obviously make more comfy for who ever sleeps on the annoying side.
So my question is, does anyone know if the new mattresses that are in the 2015 model fit in the 2014 model and still allow for the bed ends to still fold away?

Cheers
Scott.

Reactions: Bluey
Jul 4, 2014
Engadine
Hello all,

I was recently having a sticky beak at the new design of the 17.56.2OB and noticed that the mattress was a slightly different design. We have a 2014 17.56.2 model and had to buy a mattress topper for the beds due to the divider/joiner part of the mattress being very uncomfortable(as i'm sure you have all found). the new mattress divider/joiner is right in the middle, which would obviously make more comfy for who ever sleeps on the annoying side.
So my question is, does anyone know if the new mattresses that are in the 2015 model fit in the 2014 model and still allow for the bed ends to still fold away?

Cheers
Scott.
Mate just checked the 2015 model today at the sydney show. Jealous as new layout opens the van and cupboard space up like you would not believe. The setup they should have always had. Plus the bed tunnel has increase storage and height. So the matress is a 2 piece ONE LEVELBED. Not the 3/4, 1/4 old option. With the drop in the storage. So long answer is NO. unless u increase the height of your front tunnel.

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Mate just checked the 2015 model today at the sydney show. Jealous as new layout opens the van and cupboard space up like you would not believe. The setup they should have always had. Plus the bed tunnel has increase storage and height. So the matress is a 2 piece ONE LEVELBED. Not the 3/4, 1/4 old option. With the drop in the storage. So long answer is NO. unless u increase the height of your front tunnel.
Has anyone done the tunnel height increase to level the bed base out on the older models? The 70/30 split mattress really p!sses us off, not to mention it's super uncomfortable.
If you have done it, what size mattress did you put on? With the 50/50 split, I would think it should fold away easier provided it's not overly thick.

BR
Paul

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Looking at doing this ourselves on a 14.44.5OB (only has one fold out) as I'm the one who sleeps on the crack. We looked at buying 2xhigh density foam mattresses 760x1880. We will need unpick the cloth cover and chop a piece off each mattress to make it fit (about $160 each). Overall thickness when folded will be less than the original mattress. The easy part is increasing the height of the tunnel

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Looking at doing this ourselves on a 14.44.5OB (only has one fold out) as I'm the one who sleeps on the crack. We looked at buying 2xhigh density foam mattresses 760x1880. We will need unpick the cloth cover and chop a piece off each mattress to make it fit (about $160 each). Overall thickness when folded will be less than the original mattress. The easy part is increasing the height of the tunnel
Hi Jeff,
Slumber rest (who make the mattresses for Jayco) quoted me $350 total price for a custom size 2 piece mattress. This my friend was the easy part :)
Pulling the aluminium section apart to get the new higher end in was painful in the limited space at the rear end.
But it's out now, just need to get the new base board and put it back together and throw the new mattress in and we'll be very happy campers!
BR
Paul

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
there is a thread somewhere on here with a great mos to lift the tunnel but blowed if I can find it or remember who did it now, someone will be along with a better memory than mine I'm sure

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
I did the mod of raising the bed in our Expanda. I copied this mod from postings by others, in particular @Lara

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/laras-16-49-1-ob.2667/page-6

I did the mod to the bed bases first. This required raising the base above the storage to be level with the base on the fold out part. I used 90 x 18mm Pine DAR for the frame and as I am not a carpenter I had to find a way to ensemble the frame inside the van. I bought some lengths of metal from Bunnings and cut into suitable lengths to use as brackets.

20016-1996eb87f02e2eb2e69111cc342138be.jpg
For the rear bed I had to trim about 10mm of the frame (80mm) but the front I didn’t. After putting the front frame in I thought that maybe I should have trimmed 5mm off. As no one actually slept on the mattresses before we sold the van it I cannot say if it level. The existing laminated lid and base plate for the storage are secured with 5 screws into the metal frame. The rear lids and rear plate were able to be used as is as the bed is vertical (other than a small cut for some wires on the right side) while I had to trim the front plate as the bed slopes inwards. I removed the plastic edging, trimmed the wood and then put the edging back on.

I bought the mattresses thru Makin Matressess which has stores in Canberra, Brisbane North and South and the Gold Coast (and others). The sizes are slightly different for the front and rear beds. Front is 1800 x 700 and the rear is 1800 and 750. If I remember correctly it is 1800 which is just right to fit between the metal supports on the outside of the beds. These dimensions mean they are a tight fit. The two pieces are then velroed together.

Others who have done this mod have said that their new mattresses are 20cm thick. When we were ordering ours the ones we selected were about this thickness (hard to measure) and at the last minute we said yes to pillow tops on both sides. Once we got them ( two days before we went on a 4 week trip) we found that they were about 21cm thick and made it very difficult to fold the beds. As it was just the two of us travelling we left the front mattresses at home and traveled with one of the rear in each of the front and rear. Meant making the bed up each stop.

When we got back to Canberra I rang Makin Mattresses and asked if they could remove one of the pillow top, which they did for a very small amount considering they picked them up, altered them (4 mattresses) and then delivered them back. The altered ones were about 19cm thick.

All up the mattresses cost about $1000, for the originals and alterations. Best value spent and result in a very comfortable bed.

The other big plus for doing this mod is the gain in storage space.
In the photos below you can see the Pine DAR (white). I never got round to painting or adding veneer to them.

Best mod I made to the Expanda!!

DSCN06.JPG DSCN07.JPG

Reactions: Burnsy

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
That's the go @BruceD I was going to do the same but we sold it and bought the Sterling as well as we both wanted to be able to get out of bet with out climbing over each other, also the weather up here is a lot hotter and we found the expanda bed a bit too warm.