Different solar panels

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
p.jpg

I'm spending a bit of time...and, unfortunately, money on trying to solve a few niggly issues for our travels and camping. (This is while we get our act together and wait for a replacement van to be built)

This is the first....We needed to replace an old solid solar panel to supplement the roof top solar we'll be getting and the old one was heavy, fragile and a pain to carry safely. We did it but thought it could be done better so we'll give this a go!

• flexible 120w panel
  • folds up so is easy to carry
  • lighter and flexible
  • can be used for van or car second battery
  • has usbs but I have no idea of the effectiveness
  • new technology?
  • doesn't look like a solar panel
I've done loads of reading and have yet to test this but if it does what I want I'll be happy!

Has anyone tried these?

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
I haven't used one myself but the regulator looks the same as my portable panels. The USB only works if it's connected to a battery.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm not using that regulator, I decided as I've got an MPPT one I'm very happy with so the USB (non MPPT) is now a spare. It's probably more effective to charge stuff via USB directly from the battery anyway. It's certainly a better regulator than my old spare one which is about 10'years old.

I've just collected it after hooking it all up and testing. A very basic test but it took the spare shed battery from 12.2 to 12.5 in an hour. 13.7 volts.

So I'm happy as I just propped it up next to a bucket in afternoon sun. I intend using it on the windscreen when free camping.

Another problem solved!