Diesel xtrail

RobRoy

Apr 20, 2017
Perth
Just returned from a trip down to gracetown. It's only 300km or so. Although I plan to replace the xtrail at some point, it towed the 16.49 at an average of 9.9l per hundred. I did return with an empty water tank and it towed really easily. I wouldn't want to try to get over the blue mountains or anything, we are pretty flat here. I may not be in such a hurry to replace it now

Reactions: G Daddy

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
my argument has always been............ (as I was taught may may moons ago....)

the tower needs to be heavier than the towee

1/3rd heavier would be my suggestion, that way, under ANY situation, the towee cannot push the tower around......

I cannot argue about the economy your getting, nore the comfort you have as a daily driver

but................

RobRoy

Apr 20, 2017
Perth
my argument has always been............ (as I was taught may may moons ago....)

the tower needs to be heavier than the towee

1/3rd heavier would be my suggestion, that way, under ANY situation, the towee cannot push the tower around......

I cannot argue about the economy your getting, nore the comfort you have as a daily driver

but................
I don't disagree and safety is paramount.

Reactions: bigcol

RobRoy

Apr 20, 2017
Perth
I think to keep getting those sorts of figures, you may need to look at the Bitzamissing Spanish Cat

(Pajero)
Wow thanks for the heads up bigcol, I was assuming I needed a prado. Without any research I always assumed the Pajero was only for those that couldn't afford a prado. Don't take affence anybody, I see I was mistaken. Guess I nearly fell into the sheep mentality. Both are good cars.

Reactions: DRW

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
You might also look at Pajero sport if you are in the new car market. Smaller than full sized Pajero and a great daily drive. Good prices on GLX 5 seat version too.

Reactions: RobRoy

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Spanish Cat or Playdoh............
decisions decisions

dont let @dagree know I said it
but
apart from the Toyota Tax - the Playdoh is a good tow vehicle (personally - I dont like the latest model - but you get that)
I prefer the 120 series over the 150 (120 has 2x 90l tanks and weighs less than the 150, and does not feel as "mushy" going around corners)

I have been led to believe the Spanish Cat is good as well (my Father had a 2014 one - very good towing his 20' Coromal)
I just dont like the dash gauges - or that Bitsaremissing killed the Valiant

but thats my point of view...........

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
I have owned two Prados, 120 series and 150 series. Totally agree that 120 was better in every way. I was very disappointed in 150 series. I have also owned a Pajero and found it better in just about every way than Prado ( except for noisy engine). I collect my new Pajero Sport this week... hopefully it lives up to the reviews. Built in Thailand, so not Spanish! $43000 for Pajero sport vs $63000 for Prado ; you can get a lot of fuel for the difference!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hahahahaha
The Mitsubishi Pajero (/pəˈdʒɛroʊ/; Spanish: [paˈxeɾo]; Japanese パジェロ [pad͡ʑeɾo])[1][2] is a sport utility vehicle manufactured by Mitsubishi. It was named after Leopardus pajeros, the Pampas cat, which is native to the Patagonia plateau region of southern Argentina.[3] But pajero in Spanish is also a common term of abuse, usually translated as "wanker" or "tosser", thus perhaps why alternative names have been used for many markets. It is known as the Mitsubishi Montero (meaning "mountain hunter"[4]) in the Americas (except Brazil and Jamaica), and Spain, while in the United Kingdom it is known as the Mitsubishi Shogun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero

whats why I call it Spanish

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I am led to believe they are a good towing vehicle

as I said, I was not impressed with the dash gauges - I normally do not need glasses to drive,but, I had to when driving my Fathers, otherwise I could not make out the numbers on the gauges - too small - sunk into the gauge and hard to glance at while driving
meh.....

just my opinion

rags

I have owned two Prados, 120 series and 150 series. Totally agree that 120 was better in every way. I was very disappointed in 150 series. I have also owned a Pajero and found it better in just about every way than Prado ( except for noisy engine). I collect my new Pajero Sport this week... hopefully it lives up to the reviews. Built in Thailand, so not Spanish! $43000 for Pajero sport vs $63000 for Prado ; you can get a lot of fuel for the difference!

I think you should be comparing the Pajero Sport price, equipment and size with class equivalent ute based wagon like the Toyota Fortuner, Ford Everest, Isuzi MUX etc.
The Prado would be better compared with the Pajero 3.2Ltr.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
No problems at all with your opinion. That is the big plus on this site; all opinions comments and advice are gladly accepted by a great community who all seem to believe that we are each “ individual”.

many many years ago (when Adam played Full Back for the Jerusalem Allstars) I spend a lot of money on a Car that I thought was what I needed
I spend A LOT of money on this car
A LOT

only, after I had fully rebuilt it, to do the job I wanted
it couldn't do the job I wanted it to do

so if I can make people think about what they are about to spend a large chunk of change on - before they spend it

all good
wasnt a wasted time

did I tell you a spend a LOT of money on this thing..............
(1977 - you could buy a HQ Kingswood 2nd hand for $2K - I spend 10x that much on a 4wd.....buying, rebuilding & modifying.....)

A LOT OF MONEY wasted

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I think you should be comparing the Pajero Sport price, equipment and size with class equivalent ute based wagon like the Toyota Fortuner, Ford Everest, Isuzi MUX etc.
The Prado would be better compared with the Pajero 3.2Ltr.

ahhh yes @rags BUT
the fourtuna's is not 4wd
the Everresting is still unknown
and the MUX (looks too small for a fat bugga like me..........)

I can fit into the Spanish cat as well as the Playdoh

:biggrin-26::behindsofa::biggrin-26:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I pretty much stick to Old School

Pootrol
IMAG0232 (2).jpg

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
Rags is right about which cars to compare Pajero Sport to. I have done extensive road tests on each and then decided on Pajero Sport. Of those cars listed, I still think that the PS would be a good upgrade from a Nissan X Trail.

Full size Pajero, Prado and the everlasting Patrol are all really a class above and now poor old RobRoy has got lots of choices........ of course there is always the diesel Terracan if he can find a decent one!:)

Reactions: RobRoy

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Just returned from a trip down to gracetown. It's only 300km or so. Although I plan to replace the xtrail at some point, it towed the 16.49 at an average of 9.9l per hundred. I did return with an empty water tank and it towed really easily. I wouldn't want to try to get over the blue mountains or anything, we are pretty flat here. I may not be in such a hurry to replace it now

I would suggest that you work out how many days a year you are towing. While I would like a bigger car, finances and every day use are a factor and my current car tow the van without a problem. would like a bigger tank for fuel, but again for ten days a year not really worth it.

Yes safety is an issue and you tow to your conditions. I will not break land speed records but when towing my van don't want to.

Just another thing to consider.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
as @1DayIll suggested, have a look at your actual usage and need, getting permission for a newer car is good, but dont make the mistake a mate of mine did

he has a cruiser.......
tows a Hawk
wants a dual cab so he can take his 4wheeler bike with them camping
soooooooooo
needs to be a dual cab
diesel
auto (he's not getting any younger and he needs a hip replacement)
with a tray, for the 4 wheeler to get on

what did he buy you ask..............................

a dual cab
V6 petrol
manual
with a tub and canopy

he got 1 right out of 4.............

Reactions: Drover