Diesel Heater Install

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
I finally got around to installing a new diesel heater. Took a bit of time to decide where to mount everything but once I decided I went for it.
This is the second time I've done one of these installs, so it was a bit easier than last time. I've taken a few pictures and will attach as well.

Model 17.56.2.

Diesel Heater is a 5kw Planar brand. I decided this one again after having the same in our old Hawk with no issues at all.
upload_2014-4-30_21-15-17.png
Heater is mounted in the rear locker on the left hand side behind the ensuite, this allowed me to run the wiring along the existing wiring path down the side of the ensuite and over the top of the wheel arch.
upload_2014-4-30_21-20-54.png
Diesel tank was put in the under seat storage area near the battery/cetec unit. Luckily I was also able to squeeze the fuel line through the hole in the floor with the breather and mains pressure pipes.
upload_2014-4-30_21-23-50.png
The control switch was put with the other switches, battery and HWS.
upload_2014-4-30_21-27-41.png
I don't like using the push in fittings that are pre fitted to the wiring harness, so I went old fashioned and joined all with solder, then heat shrink over the top, makes it nice and neat too!
upload_2014-4-30_21-32-18.png
A few things my dad and grandfathers taught me growing up. measure twice, twice again and cut once. I use this advice every day. When drilling the hole through the floor, drill pilot and check from underneath for cables, chassis etc. (I had to re route the wiring for the LHS brake/blinker)
upload_2014-4-30_21-37-34.png

upload_2014-4-30_21-36-57.png

upload_2014-4-30_21-38-28.png
There were hesitations drilling through the sidewall to fit the filler, this one was measure twice, and again, and repeat, and repeat all that again!
upload_2014-4-30_21-40-45.png
Running the wiring up to the battery/control switch with my trusty snake.
upload_2014-4-30_21-43-53.png

upload_2014-4-30_21-44-28.png

upload_2014-4-30_21-45-23.png

A quick tip, attach the fuel joiner, inlet air and exhaust pipe prior to mounting. There's not much room to tighten clamps after it has been sika'd and screwed to the floor. I learned this with the last one I installed.
upload_2014-4-30_21-50-4.png

That's it, job done! About 6 hours work.

Cheers!!

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Do you have to draw air from outside or can you use the air from inside ? just dont want anymore dust entry ..
Air for the heater is drawn from inside the van, the inlet air pipe I mentioned above is for combustion.
I suppose you could draw air from outside if you really wanted to, but it'd take a long time to heat the van.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I like the hand drill :). Curious where the flue exhaust goes? I cant see it in the photos or am I looking at it wrong. So are you not recirculating room air in this installation? Last one, do you get any diesel smells when it is in use?

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
I like the hand drill :). Curious where the flue exhaust goes? I cant see it in the photos or am I looking at it wrong. So are you not recirculating room air in this installation? Last one, do you get any diesel smells when it is in use?

The drill is a hand me down from my grandfather. Thanks, I like it too!

In this photo I've labelled everything, the heater unit here is upside down prior to be installed, you might need to open the photo to see the text.
upload_2014-5-2_13-21-38.png

Grabbed this picture of the web, I've put a line across to show the "floor" of the van and what's above/below.
upload_2014-5-2_13-25-39.png

(I'll grab a photo of under floor when I get home from work this arvo)

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
1st class job Matt! Is there any issues with having the diesel tank in the same compartment as battery and ctek even though it's not as dangerous as petrol?

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
1st class job Matt! Is there any issues with having the diesel tank in the same compartment as battery and ctek even though it's not as dangerous as petrol?
Burnsy, I'm sure there's opinions either way. I'm not concerned about it, the tank is a sealed unit, no gases or fuel can escape into the under seat storage compartment. Also as you mentioned the lower volatility of the diesel certainly does reduce any risk.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi Matt. The heater looks like it is installed against the outside wall (I could be looking at it wrong), so how are you drawing "return air" for heating? I cant see a duct on the opposite end.
Cheers.

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
G day Matt Thanks for the information you've posted, top job. I really want one.
A photo of the installation under the van floor would be great mate. Also do you think a 2 Kw unit would be OK for a 12 ft. expanda ? How quiet are they ?
Many thanks
jvp

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Hi Matt. The heater looks like it is installed against the outside wall (I could be looking at it wrong), so how are you drawing "return air" for heating? I cant see a duct on the opposite end.
Cheers.

G'Day Macca,

There's about 40mm clear space behind the inlet end of the heater. I've decided not to put a duct to it for inlet/recirc air, a couple of reasons, I feel there's enough open space around the heater to draw in air in the rear locker cupboard (I did a similar thing when I installed the heater in my Hawk previously and had no dramas, so running from experience), secondly ducting will make it a bit noisier as you hear the air being sucked in through the duct to the heater.
upload_2014-5-4_19-37-9.png

G day Matt Thanks for the information you've posted, top job. I really want one.
A photo of the installation under the van floor would be great mate. Also do you think a 2 Kw unit would be OK for a 12 ft. expanda ? How quiet are they ?
Many thanks
jvp

G'Day JVP,

Thanks. Below are a couple of photos of the under floor installation. The exhaust (silver pipe) runs along the bottom rear corner of one of the chassis cross members. Try and keep it off the timber if possible as it can get bloody warm. The inlet air, (black pipe) is curled around a bit, I find this acts as a bit of a muffler adding the couple of bends.
I had the 2Kw version of this heater in the Hawk, it worked well and I would have got it again except for the fact that at the time of purchase, the 2Kw version was not available. In a 12' expanda, I reckon it'd be perfect.
The units are in my opinion much quieter than running the aircon when on a powered site. People have mentioned on other posts the "ticking" noise from the fuel pump. If installed correctly it can't be heard. The bracket itself has a rubber insert to dampen the noise and I actually have an extra rubber washer between the mounting bracket and chassis rail to dampen the "tick" further and can't hear it. Still better than being cold!
Sorry couldn't get a photo that wasn't blurry.

upload_2014-5-4_19-45-10.png
upload_2014-5-4_19-47-39.png

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
Thanks Matt
I looked at my 12 ft. expanda last weekend & gave up the idea of a heater after seeing that under side storage areas in mine are axles, springs etc. What a good idea fitting it in the rear floor locker near bed. And like you said what's a little noise when your warm on a frosty night.
Cheers
jvp

Reactions: mbr37746

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Thanks all for the positive comments and questions.
I reckon if you're going to outlay the coin for a van, that you may as well use it all year 'round. We especially love the free camping so cant use the a/c, and are blessed with heaps and heaps of campsites within 1 1/2 to 2 hrs in any direction from home!
The thing is that some of the nicest and clearest nights of the year are in winter. Also waking up on a clear winter morning with frost sparkling on the ground is unreal.
It's nice to have a warm van to experience this in.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Thanks all for the positive comments and questions.
I reckon if you're going to outlay the coin for a van, that you may as well use it all year 'round. We especially love the free camping so cant use the a/c, and are blessed with heaps and heaps of campsites within 1 1/2 to 2 hrs in any direction from home!
The thing is that some of the nicest and clearest nights of the year are in winter. Also waking up on a clear winter morning with frost sparkling on the ground is unreal.
It's nice to have a warm van to experience this in.
Thats exactly the same reason we fitted one to ours. Cosy and worm on the inside and not a lot of people outside when its cold so nice and quite , relaxation time with a cold beer or anise coffee from the coffee machine over looking a running creek in the middle of nowhere. Best money we ever spent on an accessory.

Reactions: mbr37746

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Just wondering if you know of anyone who has installed a heater in a 16.49.3? Curious as to where to install the tank and heater. I already use the rear tunnel cupboard to store the annex walls (to reduce the ball down weight) and front for poles, chairs, levelling ramps etc. There is a limited area under the seat opp the L Lounge, but this may not be big enough - as we have a slide out BBQ - but I would prefer to have the outlet facing down the length of the van and not over to the L Lounge.
Then there is the other question about output - Can anyone advise if the 2kw would warm up a 16.49.3?