Exterior Diesel Heater Exhaust

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I'm still doing the heater install in my Discovery poptop. Can anyone see a problem with having the exhaust exiting on the awning side of the van. I have to put it under the single bed and if I come out the awning side I only have 600mm as opposed to 1500mm to the road side and building shields for the gas lines to fridge etc. It will be well forward of the door and I figure that I wont be sitting out there if it's that cold. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
They can be a little stinky when they start up and then really stinky as they start approaching the need for a service. Aside from the obvious annex issues, even if you don't have the annex, an awning, sunwalls, furniture, BBQ etc etc ie everything you accumulate under the awning will hinder reduce any airflow and tend to help any stink that passes by to hang about. I service my heater myself regularly, and we still get enough of the odd passing stink blast to ensure Id never place one on the awning side. I think pointing a short exhaust the other way even if it doesn't reach the van perimeter would still be better.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Thanks, I could go under the van towards the road side and I could stop it about 400mm in from the edge. I suppose if there is no way fumes can come up from any openings in the floor it would be OK. There is not much room under there with 2 water tanks in a 16.52.3.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Keep it away from annex side, stinky for sure, I have run mine into a 45mm pipe so it flows free to the far side...you really dont want it on the door side.

Reactions: Disco Duck

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Keep it away from annex side, stinky for sure, I have run mine into a 45mm pipe so it flows free to the far side...you really dont want it on the door side.
Thanks Drover, Sounds like a plan. How did you go about joining 45mm exhaust tube to the heater. My connection may be a problem as the exhaust on the heater is facing the awning side of the van so has to come out the side and curve back towards road side so as to miss the air inlet.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The 25mm pipe just gently curve it in the direction you want and after the bend I cut it, bought a length of 45mm exhaust pipe, capped one end and fitted a 25mm internal dia bit of pipe (actually was a bit of an old floor jack handle) but you may be able to get the exhaust shop to fabricate it easy enough, just stuck the 25mm into it with a bit of exhaust bog, hung the pipe from the cross members/floor with straps and it comes out just behind my wheels.........make sure it is slightly lower at the end so no juice pools in pipe.............
I used the larger pipe to get better exhaust flow as I think I cooked my first heater by having too long a length of 25mm pipe, this larger dia works well and is about 1.5m or more long, with a ball of stainless steel wool shoved up it to stop crawlies and sound damping.

My heater is near the door so didn't want it blowing near there at all......

I also did a similar thing with my air intake, the 25mm pipe is just for the first bend and then it goes into a length of 40mm PVC pipe with the filter screen jerry rigged to the end of it, it is just about 1.5m long............

I put a stone guard in front of my heater, made up of a bit of 200mm C channel with one side cut off, certainly stopped a few errant rocks going by the knicks in it.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks Drover, Sounds like a plan. How did you go about joining 45mm exhaust tube to the heater. My connection may be a problem as the exhaust on the heater is facing the awning side of the van so has to come out the side and curve back towards road side so as to miss the air inlet.
Do whatever to takes to limit bends in the exhaust particularly if youre adding extra length to the exhaust because with bends or extra length it wont breath properly, produce more CO, more stink, and produce carbon in the burn chamber and plug screen. It will function better longer if you can point the exhaust from the heater as straight and short as possible to where you want it to end up.