Suspension Dexter Sway Control or Alco ESC

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I spoke with a bloke who sells and installs both he would not officially tell me which was better.
I asked him what he had on his van and any family members vans he had done, he was a bit taken back by the question but then said "Dexter"
I then asked if it was because he got it free/very cheap etc and he said that it was a freebie but the other mob had offered the same deal for his own van.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I think either of them is well worth fitting. They are a real good idea and give a lot of peace of mind, especially in windy conditions. When we did ours about 18mths ago the cost of both fitted was about $1500. We have the Dexter Sway Control (DSC) and are very pleased with it.

I did a lot of reading before fitting our l (DSC) and even though Kedron now fit the ALKO Electronic Sway Control (ESC), when we ordered our van they did not fit either. I got mine fitted by Vehicle Components (VC) in Brisbane for the same price as the ALKO ESC, VC would not say which was better, but similar to @NoWorries I asked the installer and though he could not tell me which was better, he was fitting a DSC to his own van and they also sold and installed a lot more DSC than ESC. They both work by applying your van brakes to stop sway, the DSC applies one brake at a time to control the sway much like most modern car stability controls. The ESC applies both brakes at once, similar to you pressing the button on your electronic brake controller, to apply brakes to stop sway. Both methods work well, the DSC method is a little more sophisticated and in our humble opinion a better way to control sway.

The main advantage for us with the DSC was that on dirt roads the DSC has additional accelerometers which detect rough road surfaces and turn off the DSC to prevent inadvertent application of the brakes from bumps, the ESC solution is you unplug the 12V supply. So the DSC turns off and on automatically the ESC requires you to manually disconnect and more importantly reconnect. I called our caravan insurance company, CIL who give us a yearly premium discount for fitting either ESC or DSC and asked what would happen if I disconnected my sway control manually and forgot to reconnect it and then had an accident. They said I was the first person to ask that question and they were not sure and it would depend on the circumstances. I then asked if the DSC automatically turned itself off and on without user intervention while operating as it should then had an accident, they replied no problem.

The other advantage of the DSC is that it is powered from the van not the tow, which means if someone else tows your van without the appropriate tow power supply wiring (for the ESC) the DSC will still work. The ESC requires wiring of a seperate (Red) Anderson plug to power the ESC fitted to the tow and van. A warning is that some installers wire the ESC power wiring in spare pins the 12 pin plug, this could be a real problem on rough roads as you would find it very difficult to disconnect the ESC without disconnecting a lot of other stuff.

I am very pleased with the after sales service from Dexter's Australian agents. The DSC has fitted to the A frame an indicator LED which I broke with a stone (or trail mate jack). I called the agent and asked how much for a replacement. They sent one at no charge to a caravan repair place in North Dubbo which fitted for us for a small labour charge and relocated it on the A frame so it is harder for me to break it. Really good service from the DSC agent.

Another nice thing that applies to both the DSC and ESC is that if your tow is fitted with Trailer Sway Control (TSC) as is our Toyota LC200. Both sway controls do not interfere with TSC operation. The TSC in fact is a back up to the DSC and ESC, if for some reason either of them do not work the TSC will do its best to stop the trailer sway.

In summary do not hesitate fit either. We preferred the DSC for the above reasons and are very pleased with its operation and DSC after sales support after our 18 mths of use. Make sure you use an authorised installer and do not forget ask for the insurance premium discount. I have also heard a "rumour" that ALKO has bought out Dexter (Tucson in the US), so who knows what will happen next, they are both good safety technologies, they should be on all caravans from new.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
My van has Dexter, was standard fit and believe it was one of the first fitted with it
It doesn't require extra Anderson plug nor do you have to disconnect it for dirt roads, thinking that's a good thing because that's most likely one place you at need it,

Have I felt it kick in?

Hell yeah! did it's job

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The main advantage for us with the DSC was that on dirt roads the DSC has additional accelerometers which detect rough road surfaces and turn off the DSC to prevent inadvertent application of the brakes from bumps, the ESC solution is you unplug the 12V supply. So the DSC turns off and on automatically the ESC requires you to manually disconnect and more importantly reconnect.
No disrespect intended @yabbietol because its a wide spread story Ive been repeatedly told, and it seems to one of those self perpetuating urban myths

As per @Bushman, Im not sure where the info about having a independent power supply and the need to disconnect the Also ESC off road comes from, but rest assured I did "very much stuff" that put that to the test and it didn't activate off road, so long as Im driving like a regular normally behaving human. (and yes, the ESC is working) Its possible in theory to activate the ESC off road, but reading the activation protocols it would be very unlikely to cause an activation towing an reasonable sized van off road, because the system requires a level of movement that could only be achieved by a lunatic off road. Maybe its generalised statement that in "some" circumstances it technically could activate.

Either of the two is a no brainer, but don't let the story of independent power supply or repeat plugging and unplugging be a criteria.

A slight deviation from the thread, my fridges Anderson plug performed as expected, but after a year of innies and outies has become a little loose. The surprise performer was the standard 12 pin. With all the corrugations we did, the standard 12 pin also performed perfectly; not disconnecting once and as good as the day we left home.

Last edited:

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
No disrespect intended @yabbietol because its a wide spread story Ive been repeatedly told, and it seems to one of those self perpetuating urban myths

As per @Bushman, Im not sure where the info about having a independent power supply and the need to disconnect the Also ESC off road comes from, but rest assured I did "very much stuff" that put that to the test and it didn't activate off road, so long as Im driving like a regular normally behaving human. (and yes, the ESC is working) Its possible in theory to activate the ESC off road, but reading the activation protocols it would be very unlikely to cause an activation towing an reasonable sized van off road, because the system requires a level of movement that could only be achieved by a lunatic off road. Maybe its generalised statement that in "some" circumstances it technically could activate.

Either of the two is a no brainer, but don't let the story of independent power supply or repeat plugging and unplugging be a criteria.

A slight deviation from the thread, my fridges Anderson plug performed as expected, but after a year of innies and outies has become a little loose. The surprise performer was the standard 12 pin. With all the corrugations we did, the standard 12 pin also performed perfectly; not disconnecting once and as good as the day we left home.

Hello @Crusty181
The quotes below I found fairly quickly tonight, I also have read similar info on the US Tucson site. I have driven on many bumpy road and have not noticed any improper activation of the DSC on bumps. I have on at least one occasion had the DSC activate perfectly when i had to brake for an oncoming bus on the wrong side of the road on a mountain bend. The Pajero and Kedron pulled up nice and straight, even though heavy braking on a bend. I do not have an ESC and so cannot comment on them in detail, except I read in their instructions the need to disconnect on rough roads to prevent ESC activation on bumps.

On Page 5 of the ALKO ESC pdf Australian user manual:
http://www.alko.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/AL-KO_ESC_User_Manual_V10LR.pdf

"For off road use it is recommended that the ESC is connected to the tow vehicle using a 2 pin plug such as a 50AMP connector or tted with a switch and relay to disconnect the ESC for periods of extreme off road driving. A 2 pin connector can be supplied by AL-KO if required (Part number: 350350)."

https://www.caravanworld.com.au/features/1503/dexter-sway-control-video-review
Abut half way down the article.

" The final feature unique to DSC is that it not only monitors trailer ‘yaw’ – the side-to-side movement, left to right – but also vertical movement. This permits DSC to switch off when offroad conditions are encountered, avoiding ‘nuisance’ braking than can occur if the lateral sensor decides the sideways movement that might occur on corrugations or rough terrain is trailer ‘sway’."

http://27.121.66.145/~melbou66/dexter-sway-control/
Again, about half way down the page from the Australian distributor.

"Automatic off-road mode - The module continuously monitors the sway sensor to detect and activate during trailer / caravan sway. It also is able to determine rough terrain during which it modifies the sway control braking. Upon exiting the rough terrain, the system is returned to normal operation."

Hope these quotes help.
Regards
Terry

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
WE have the alko esc. I have been very happy to have it. Haven't had a sway with it but has kicked in twice on a bridge just up the road from home that the road surface varies with a quick right hand , up n down over then left turn at 90k , this section activates the vehicle esc on the odd occasion also must just be the right rhythm . I have never had it activate on corrugated roads .

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Me either...activate on corrugations, that is. The car abs brake system has activated and while checking that out after lots of horrible corrugations I found the info on the recommendation that ESC be disconnected in those conditions. I didn't as I couldn't without losing the brakes.

Have to agree with @Crusty181 that it doesn't really seem to be a problem ...but to be sure, we can now disconnect ESC if needed.

As to the differences between the two systems and which one performs better it doesn't really matter as both do the job they were designed to do.....and I would never ever consider buying a van without either.

We're now on our second ESC ...I want shares in the design company as I believe they'll do well.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hello @Crusty181
The quotes below I found fairly quickly tonight, I also have read similar info on the US Tucson site. I have driven on many bumpy road and have not noticed any improper activation of the DSC on bumps. I have on at least one occasion had the DSC activate perfectly when i had to brake for an oncoming bus on the wrong side of the road on a mountain bend. The Pajero and Kedron pulled up nice and straight, even though heavy braking on a bend. I do not have an ESC and so cannot comment on them in detail, except I read in their instructions the need to disconnect on rough roads to prevent ESC activation on bumps.

On Page 5 of the ALKO ESC pdf Australian user manual:
http://www.alko.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/AL-KO_ESC_User_Manual_V10LR.pdf

"For off road use it is recommended that the ESC is connected to the tow vehicle using a 2 pin plug such as a 50AMP connector or tted with a switch and relay to disconnect the ESC for periods of extreme off road driving. A 2 pin connector can be supplied by AL-KO if required (Part number: 350350)."

https://www.caravanworld.com.au/features/1503/dexter-sway-control-video-review
Abut half way down the article.

" The final feature unique to DSC is that it not only monitors trailer ‘yaw’ – the side-to-side movement, left to right – but also vertical movement. This permits DSC to switch off when offroad conditions are encountered, avoiding ‘nuisance’ braking than can occur if the lateral sensor decides the sideways movement that might occur on corrugations or rough terrain is trailer ‘sway’."

http://27.121.66.145/~melbou66/dexter-sway-control/
Again, about half way down the page from the Australian distributor.

"Automatic off-road mode - The module continuously monitors the sway sensor to detect and activate during trailer / caravan sway. It also is able to determine rough terrain during which it modifies the sway control braking. Upon exiting the rough terrain, the system is returned to normal operation."

Hope these quotes help.
Regards
Terry
In my effort to separate you personally, from the ESC myth it looks like I failed miserably. Often in text its difficult to contradict someones point of view without it appearing to be for all the wrong reasons, my apologies. My point was not a comparison between the systems, nor a poke at you, the ESC DSC and you are equally as good each for different reasons. My intention was only, and limited to, the myth and the reality of how the Alko ESC is designed to work and how it actually functions for us caravaners.

The ESC has a preset criteria which has to be present in order for it to activate, and that would be difficult and quite destructive to achieve with a largish caravan at the speeds required and the type of terrain that would need to be present in order to activate it.

"Off Road" in the ESC sense means bush bashing or rock hopping, being a Gall Boy, or being towed by Colin McRae. ESC Off Road has no correlation to anything remotely like where any sane person would be able to drag a decent size caravan.

My only point was the ESC doesn't require either a separate power source or disconnection, and I didn't want to appear I was giving you a poke that wasn't my intention. The ESC disconnection story a self perpetuating very wide spread unfounded belief. Again my humble apologies if I came across as trying to one-up at your expense.

Alko ESC.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC