Electrical Deep Cycle Battery tips and tricks

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Not sure where to put this one, so we'll start afresh

A few folk, notably @Boots in Action and @mikerezny, will be horrified at how this story starts out, but bear with me. Its a love story and like all love stories there's a vixen, some heartache and a happy ending. (that's a Disney happy ending, for those who want to leave now :bolt:)

I've only ever used the Setec for our onboard batteries, the MkII from 2009 to 2014 in our second Jayco, and the MkIII from 2014 to today in the current van. Ive only had solar since 2014, and a 150w panel and PWM on that until last year. I've bought my Full River 120ah in 2009 and its been in constant service from then till now, yes over 11 years old now. I try as best I can to nurse the batteries and look after them, and vans stored plugged into 240v, but we a re power hungry travelers with multiple tech devices, multiple TV's, Sat TV, Xbox, diesel heater etc. Despite my best efforts the batteries have been hammered at times over the years particularly whilst we traveled for 14mths. They've been run down, used with the 2.5kW inverter for the hairdryer, microwave, Engel etc etc, even the aircon just for a laugh too see if I could smoke something.

When we bought the current van the Full River was 5 years old and I expected it to be on the decline. I wanted 2 x agms, didnt want to mix old with new, and the new van came with a 100ah Bosch gel. Not an ideal combo I know but I had no use for 1 x agm or 1 x gel so better to just throw them in together, get some use, kill them both and start afresh when they died. After 18 months paired up together, the Full River tested up at 100% so I left well enough alone.

The van's battery reserves have decreased over the last 12 to 18 months. Suspecting the combo of age , extensive use, less than ideal charging regime, differing batteries chemistry and different capacities of the batteries, the funeral was being planned ....but hey, that said I'd had a great run. Took them to a mate who owns a Battery World I had him load test both a few days ago.

The gel was dead as a Dodo couldnt even start the machine, but my 11 (yes eleven) year old Full River 120ah agm battery sat on the load tester for the rest of the day still going strong when closed up for the day. The following morning Full River has come up at 115ah capacity. Amazed is an understatement. Ive grabbed 2 x new 130ah agms and Ill use the Full River in the car as a dual battery.

Great real-world test of Full River agm, Setec mkII and MkIII chargers despite doing the completely wrong thing with all of it

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and the GEL didn't have a melt down, all in all thats a great result really........ quite often real world blows the bench test out of the water.......... have always said the Setek work, just fall behind if you suck the guts out of your batteries all the time.......... Look out incoming documentries.........lol,lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crusty181

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
The Full River AGM's are IMHO the best deep cycle AGM around. I've subjected the one in my Ranger to some abuse and it's still performs like new
I now have a fixed solar panel on the roof rack so it's looked after better now.

Reactions: Crusty181

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
interesting experience.

Do you happen to have the voltage specifications for both batteries?
Battary SOC Voltages.jpg

Looking at the SOC above for generic AGM and GEW batteries, it would seem that the GEL would be taking tad more of the load. The relative charging and float voltages would be interesting to determine which battery was being restored to full charge.

Just to confirm. The Bosch Gel lasted for 6 years?

Regardless, one take away for me is that proper regular battery maintenance is certainly a priority for getting good life expectancy from batteries.

I have never ever read any negative comments regarding full river batteries. If I was ever going to get kitted out for long periods of traveling in isolated areas, they would be my only choice of battery.

I have read several negative comments over the years regarding Bosch batteries.

My Ritar 95Ah GEL is still going well after 3 1/2 years. It has never been run less than 75% SOC and is charged regularly. I would be very happy if I managed 11 years from it! I would be even happier if I was still around to celebrate reaching that milestone!

cheers
Mike

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,
interesting experience.

Do you happen to have the voltage specifications for both batteries?View attachment 65312
Looking at the SOC above for generic AGM and GEW batteries, it would seem that the GEL would be taking tad more of the load. The relative charging and float voltages would be interesting to determine which battery was being restored to full charge.

Just to confirm. The Bosch Gel lasted for 6 years?

Regardless, one take away for me is that proper regular battery maintenance is certainly a priority for getting good life expectancy from batteries.

I have never ever read any negative comments regarding full river batteries. If I was ever going to get kitted out for long periods of traveling in isolated areas, they would be my only choice of battery.

I have read several negative comments over the years regarding Bosch batteries.

My Ritar 95Ah GEL is still going well after 3 1/2 years. It has never been run less than 75% SOC and is charged regularly. I would be very happy if I managed 11 years from it! I would be even happier if I was still around to celebrate reaching that milestone!

cheers
Mike
Im not 100% sure when the gel rolled over, as you know we have more solar than we need now, so dont worry so much on replacing used battery capacity anymore. Thè batteries have been well down for some time so id say the gels been struggling for a quite a while. I've replaced the Odd Couple with 2 x Motobatt MB130ah batteries, 20% more capacity than we had, so at 50% available to use its quiet a balanced system with generation capacity matching that 50%. The Motobatts retail for around the same price as the Full River, $450iah, but i got a deal on the Motobatt that i was reluctant to pass up.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
For $450 it would want to go the distance, I've had one GEL have coronary, a Forbes it swelled up like a 2 week old dead cow, put down to a internal short but its mate (Bosch)is still powering on at 5 years old along with its partner forgot its brand, waiting for them to crak it so I can up them to bigger and better AGM's, so they will see 10 years or more to spite me................... I would regularly get 5 or 6 yrs from the old wet jobs, shows if you look after them you get good life no matter what the composition..of course accidents do happen.