18' Series Dcdc charger.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Okay, no power from tug shouldn't bother it all it should just work happily just with the panels plugged in.....

The Setek usually has a 12v input which is from the tug, often the same cable for the 12v supply to fridge it splits up in a big birds nest of wire joins underneath, one runs to fridge other to setek, the setek then has an output to the battery, this cable will provide charge to battery when on 240v (shore power) and when no 240v it supplys 12v to Setek so you have lights and stuff, so disconnecting the Setek/Battery cable is not advised........

In this configuration the 12v ignition line from the Projecta is not required......just connect the panel and battery cables from your old regulator to the Projecta or replacement leads anyway and leave the Setek leads alone....

Does your fridge run on 12v when towing ?????

If your parked up with shore power your Setek will charge the battery and if sun on your panels the Projecta will work as well, fitting a circuit breaker on the solar input can switch it off if need be, but contrary to the books, they don't seem to have conflict.........at least mine don't.

Reactions: Disco Duck

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
At the moment there is no 12v from the tug. Could I connect the 12v out from the Setec (to the battery) to the alternator wire on the Projecta. ?
That should mean the battery is still getting charged from the Setec when it is plugged into shore power ???

leave the battery connection to the Setek but disable the 12v input to the Setek, ?? I don't follow this bit ??
If there's no 12v coming from the car, then connecting 12v from the Setec to the Projector won't do anything??? The Setec has a quiet low output (when it has alternator power), so for charging vans batteries from the car the Setec is better than nothing but isnt a great option, particularly if you have a better option in the 25amp Projector you already have.

The projector will have a charge priority youll need to investigate, so it may for example preference solar over alternator and in that case on overcast day you be getting crap charge but the that crap charge may stop alternator charge. The new redarcs for example have a green charge where is preferences solar, and tops up from the alternator. The early Redarcs choked alternator off in favour of solar

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
I lied, Drover !!
Yes..... the fridge does run on 12v when towing. When I bought the van it was parked at Jayco in Horsham and I asked them to connect up an Anderson to the fridge so it would run from the tug when towing. I'm going to have to check it out to see if the Setec is still connected to that wire. I can't imagine they would have disconnected it but they may have by-passed it ??

If there's no 12v coming from the car, then connecting 12v from the Setec to the Projector won't do anything??? The Setec has a quiet low output (when it has alternator power), so for charging vans batteries from the car the Setec is better than nothing but isnt a great option, particularly if you have a better option in the 25amp Projector you already have.

What I meant was, the Setec charging the battery when on shore power. Would that charging rate be enough to feed into the Projecta ?
But on thinking about it, the Setec charger would be working when it's on shore power anyway, so there would be no need to hook it up to the Projecta.

Well that should be enough for me to go on with.
Thanks you, Gentlemen !!

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I lied, Drover !!
Yes..... the fridge does run on 12v when towing. When I bought the van it was parked at Jayco in Horsham and I asked them to connect up an Anderson to the fridge so it would run from the tug when towing. I'm going to have to check it out to see if the Setec is still connected to that wire. I can't imagine they would have disconnected it but they may have by-passed it ??

What I meant was, the Setec charging the battery when on shore power. Would that charging rate be enough to feed into the Projecta ?
You would be connecting 2 chargers is series .... not sure what the outcome would be but best case it would only be a good as better charger in which case youd just use that one

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Next question...........and by the way, there will be more.................

Any suggestion on fuse or cicuit breaker size ??.
Btw 25 and 50% more than the maximum load, but make sure you cable is big enough otherwise it will become the fuse and catch fire before the real fuse blows

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
The projector will have a charge priority youll need to investigate, so it may for example preference solar over alternator and in that case on overcast day you be getting crap charge but the that crap charge may stop alternator charge. The new redarcs for example have a green charge where is preferences solar, and tops up from the alternator. The early Redarcs choked alternator off in favour of solar

Had a look at it Crusty and the solar is the priority charge, so that bit is sorted. I'm going to hook it all up tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help Crusty and Drover

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
To check if your are getting 12v to van from tug, plug van into tug, turn off/disconnect van battery and turn on a light, works you have tug power if it doesn't you haven't.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
To check if your are getting 12v to van from tug, plug van into tug, turn off/disconnect van battery and turn on a light, works you have tug power if it doesn't you haven't.
It is worth doing two tests: with and without the engine running to determine if the 12V from the tug is wired direct or via an ignition-controlled relay or VSR.

take care
Mike

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
It is worth doing two tests: with and without the engine running to determine if the 12V from the tug is wired direct or via an ignition-controlled relay or VSR.

take care
Mike

Thanks Mike. That makes sense but in this case I know how the power gets to the caravan, just wasn't sure of what happened after it got there as others have been involved.

However, the Projecta is all hooked up and working away as it should, quietly and efficiently. Afetr connection I hooked up to shore power and there were no adverse effects
I don't have a meter to check the numbers but all seemed to be working right and the Projecta lights were flashing in the right order, as predicted.
I mounted it on the side of the Setec box.
Thank you for your interest and help, to all
Photo attached as per standing orders. IMG_2517.JPG