Cracking Windows :(

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
HI all,

We had our van serviced yesterday for our annual crissy holiday, and the guy mentioned one of the windows had cracks in it.

When I looked at it they are small cracks starting at the bottom of the window and moving there way up, there is about 3 of them.

He said this is the 5th one he has seen and it seems to be a bad batch of windows form the era.

We have sent him all our paper work as the van is out of warranty, so he will speak to Jayco and see if it will be covered.

If not covered it is $400 to replace.

Have a look at your windows and see if they are cracked.

This is the first real issue we have had with the van so not too bad...

Macropod

Sep 5, 2013
Cordeaux Heights, NSW
Dont forget that under current Consumer Law that to some extent the stated 12 month warranty does not exclude you from making a claim well after the stated warranty has expired. The goods must be of suitable qualtiy and durable to the extent that they last for the length of time that you might reasonably expect. So if you buy a TV and it breaks after 14 months, it is reasonable to expect that a TV should last more than 14 months and you are entitled to a remedy under Australian Consumer Law. It is reasonable to expect that a window in a caravan should last longer than 12 months - heck even 2 years is not an unreaasonable expectation. Guide is attached. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• consumer_guarantees_guide[1].pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 463

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
I have sent all our paper work off, so i will wait to here from them what the outcome is. If this is a no go, i will ring Jayco my self. Maybe Jayco Newcastle first and get there reaction. We have bought 2 Jacyos off them and they have always been great.
I will keep you posted...

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I have sent all our paper work off, so i will wait to here from them what the outcome is. If this is a no go, i will ring Jayco my self. Maybe Jayco Newcastle first and get there reaction. We have bought 2 Jacyos off them and they have always been great.
I will keep you posted...
Hi mate, any news on this yet.....I found cracks in ours on the weekend :(

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
There was a recall on windows that cracked, seems they crack because of pressure from the catches, recall had us fitting a couple of extra catches on the side to share the load and replace damaged sashes ..... i'm betting all these cracks are near the catches going vertical. might be a worth mentioning the window recall

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
There was a recall on windows that cracked, seems they crack because of pressure from the catches, recall had us fitting a couple of extra catches on the side to share the load and replace damaged sashes ..... i'm betting all these cracks are near the catches going vertical. might be a worth mentioning the window recall

Hi Dave
How long ago was the recall? we never received any sort of notice, but then again justice realise HQ probably don't have our current details despite me giving them to the dealer.

I notice 2 small vertical cracks in our dinette window back in January, only noticed them because the sun was shinning on it.
forgot about them till now.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks for the heads up @DaveS , no notification sent to us either, I sent an email to Jayco HQ today. My van is 6 months out of warranty but now that I know about the recall I'll dig my heels in if not replaced under warranty! I have only just found a heap of small ones in another window as well.....

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
it would of been at least 12mths ago, for a while there we had a bloke just doing window recalls

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
We havent heard back yet, but I dodnt know about a recall on windows :(

This may be good news as at least a recall shows they have a common issue

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I have a small crack in my nearside window as well also didn't receive any recall notice, best way to fix is to drill a tiny hole, 1mm, at the very end of the crack so it won't spread then fill the crack with some cyanoacrylate adhesive or even better chloroform

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Jayco replied to my email basically saying it's not their problem and to contact Camec. I sent Camec an email with photos and within 24 hrs they replied saying they would replace the affected sash.....great service and very good to deal with!
Like I said our van is 6 months out of warranty but Camec admitted they had some issues in 2012.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Might be time to ring Camec
Yep Me too
also got the OK for PDA Caravan repairs here on the west side to replace my cracked Bathroom wall under warranty 12 months out certainly adds another tick in the box that if upgrading Jayco will be my first preference
What do reckon the chances of getting one of the big Car companies to fix something 12 months out of warranty?
PS Happy St Pats to all out there with an O' in front of their names

Reactions: TerriD

Sunny

Aug 19, 2013
Lake Macquarie
Spoke directly to Camec regarding both bunk windows cracking, gave them the chassis # and they mentioned there may have been an issue regarding a chemical reaction between the rubber seals used at that time and the polymer in the window when wet...
They agreed over the phone to send me 2 sashes and explained installation is fairly straightforward!
Should see them here in 2 weeks apparently.
Agree with @Burnsy their service is excellent!
Forgot to mention our van is a 12/2010 build date, wasn't an issue at all :)

TerriD

Feb 19, 2014
Northern NSW
Yep Me too
also got the OK for PDA Caravan repairs here on the west side to replace my cracked Bathroom wall under warranty 12 months out certainly adds another tick in the box that if upgrading Jayco will be my first preference
What do reckon the chances of getting one of the big Car companies to fix something 12 months out of warranty?
PS Happy St Pats to all out there with an O' in front of their names

For sure @Capt. Gadget
We had enough trouble getting things fixed during the warranty period of our current van (not Jayco) took them weeks to carry out the repairs and in the end the thing was still not right. Were looking to up grade have owned Jayco before and Jayco is definitely our first preference.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Spoke directly to Camec regarding both bunk windows cracking, gave them the chassis # and they mentioned there may have been an issue regarding a chemical reaction between the rubber seals used at that time and the polymer in the window when wet...
They agreed over the phone to send me 2 sashes and explained installation is fairly straightforward!
Should see them here in 2 weeks apparently.
Agree with @Burnsy their service is excellent!
Forgot to mention our van is a 12/2010 build date, wasn't an issue at all :)

Can see a ''How to replace windows'' thread coming on to show the rest of us hows it done there @Sunny Great news. Pace.