Crackacoldie's 16.49-3 - now in the hands of a new family

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
On the 20th of January, we picked up our new to us, Expanda from Coffs Harbour. After a week of travelling home I can say that it is a very comfortable unit for the 5 of us.

The expanda is a 2011 model with 156l Waeco fridge, dual 100aH batteries, 2 120w Kyocera sloar panels, riding on simplicity suspension with a hyland coupling.

Dubbo.jpgphoto (3).jpg

Since getting home the mods have started, abeit little basics to begin with.

First up went on some front mud flaps to try and stop underneath damage. These will be followed up with a stone stomper, when the budget allows.

mudflaps.jpg

Next up was a flickmixer to the drawbar. I find when cooking on the BBQ outside, it is easier to clean up with hot water.

flick mixer.jpg

Cheers

Craig

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Lookin good mate, have you used the fridge for a weekend on batteries yet? Flick mixer on A frame, that's gotta be a first, now your spoiling yourself!

Cheers.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I like how he has also gone to effort of modding the flick mixer spout to fit a hose connection in it :)!

Waiting for details and hopefully [MENTION=2428]MrsExpanda[/MENTION] doesn't read this she has been waiting for hot water outside for so long!!!

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Lookin good mate, have you used the fridge for a weekend on batteries yet? Flick mixer on A frame, that's gotta be a first, now your spoiling yourself!

Cheers.

Have left the fridge running for three weeks on the batteries now, without plugging into power. Batteries drop to around 13v overnight, but have been fully charged by 9am, even on overcast days.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
For the hot water to the flick mixer, I tee'd into theline from the HWS to the sink, under the left hand side of the van, almost directly under the sink.

Hotwater Tee.jpg

While I was under taking the photo, I thought I'd grab one of the Simplicity set up.

Simplicity.jpg

Cheers Cracka

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Good stuff Cracka. How easy is that pipe to use. Did you use stiffeners in the pipe? What else can you show/tell us about your solar set up.

Cheers Geoff

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
The pipe was pretty stiff to start with, used several clamps along the way to hold it in place, then got a plumber mate to complete the fitting at the T.

The solar was fitted by the previous owner, I will grab a happy snap of the controller and add it.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Have left the fridge running for three weeks on the batteries now, without plugging into power. Batteries drop to around 13v overnight, but have been fully charged by 9am, even on overcast days.

Very impressive, thanks mate. Gives us a good idea what 2 batteries and 2 solar panels can do!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Good to know. Have never used fridge on 12v...might give it a try. Mine is the Dometic not a Waeco. Always have full charge on my two batteries by time I've finished breakfast with similar solar set-up.
Impressed with external mixer. Well done. Trying to keep wife from reading it!

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Good to know. Have never used fridge on 12v...might give it a try. Mine is the Dometic not a Waeco. Always have full charge on my two batteries by time I've finished breakfast with similar solar set-up.
Impressed with external mixer. Well done. Trying to keep wife from reading it!

If it is a 3 way fridge, it will chew the batteries in no time. The Waeco is a 12v compressor fridge.

Cheers

Cracka

Reactions: Xpandafan

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Thought I would include a pic of the solar controller and the fridge. The fridge is more to demonstrate the size that is constantly running.

062.JPG063.JPG

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Cracka, Can you notice the fridge noise at night? My mate swears by his compressor fridge.

Geoff

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Cracka, Can you notice the fridge noise at night? My mate swears by his compressor fridge.

Geoff

The noise was something I was worried about, as the early compressor fridges did make quite a lot of noise, have not heard this one at all. That may because I drown out any noise with the zzzzz's

Honestly, I won't go back to a three way again.

Craig

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Had a weekend camping at a private secluded campsite on the Murray River. Was a hot weekend, with the temperatures in the high 30's, so not as much fishing as I would have liked, but nice to sit and watch the world go by. The generator and air-conditioner got a workout.
photo (2).jpg

The view from under the awning was pretty hard to take.

photo.jpg

A nice and secluded spot.