17' Series Crack in bathroom wall + Bubble in front fibreglass

Hi, I have a n Expanda 2011 17.56.2 OB on my gumtree watchlist and it has 2 issues that concern me a little bit.
Maybe you can help and explain me how this can happen. What consequences could it have an a trip around Oz, and will I be able to sell it after 12 months?
Would you buy it or is it an absolutely no-go?
Is it possible to seal the crack with a second layer?

(Sorry for using the images from the gumtree listing – maybe the owner is even part of this group and can add some helpful details and informations).

Thanks for your honest thoughts!

Crack in bathroom wall:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-10-27 um 10.52.18.png

Bubble in front fiberglass:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-10-27 um 10.52.27.png

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Crack in bathroom wall is due to the shower wall panels coming loose probably not enough glue.

Only way to fix it properly is to remove the panels and reseal bathroom.

Common problem and you could call a few Jayco repairers for a generalised quote.

Bubble on the front is a common problem and you would require a new boot or a fibreglass repair.

I would only buy it for a discounted price as you will need to recitfy these issues which will cost.

You may want to call Jayco and ask them if they would cover any of it as often these are common defects.

I personally though wouldn't be worry about it but I would be wanting to cover the cost of the repairs in the sale price.

Good luck and let us know how you get along.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I had my bathroom walls replaced under warrenty after they came away from wall there crap plastic dosnt stick to glue i peeled it off after they pulled walls out with no effort ...... replaced with Alue Comp much better total cost 4500 for a total rebuild of bathroom that with 300 extra for alue comp ..... did not put the crap jayco walls back in but i didnt pay van was 4 years old and they fixed it ...... did not get jayco to fix it a much better repairer did it its soooooo much better now

I am not sure if a 2011 model is still under warranty – I believe not.
Normally, those expandas sell for about 37K … taking repair costs of around 4K off, that would leave a price tag of around 33K.
Currently, that van is on sale for 35K.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glenmore-park/caravans/jayco-expanda-2011-17-56-2-outback/1197424249)

As we are still 2 months ahead of flying to Australia, I believe that van will be sold by then.
But its good for me to get a good sense for the market, what's available and for what prize.
Anyway, your hints and tips are very much appreciated and very helpful for me! Cheers!

Reactions: Drover and Bluey

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I am not sure if a 2011 model is still under warranty – I believe not.
Normally, those expandas sell for about 37K … taking repair costs of around 4K off, that would leave a price tag of around 33K.
Currently, that van is on sale for 35K.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glenmore-park/caravans/jayco-expanda-2011-17-56-2-outback/1197424249)

As we are still 2 months ahead of flying to Australia, I believe that van will be sold by then.
But its good for me to get a good sense for the market, what's available and for what prize.
Anyway, your hints and tips are very much appreciated and very helpful for me! Cheers!

Although out of warranty Jayco stands by there product and often fixes things well out of warranty

There is plenty of documented cases of them either fixing entire issues or at least reducing the price on these repairs

These two issues are quite possibly manufacturing defects

The bathroom is a result of not enough glue / incorrect installation

The boot lid is a bad batch of boot lids

You just never know your luck with Jayco so I wouldn't rule out just asking the question of them

But agree it will probably be sold by then but your maths of pricing is spot on so stick to that and you should be right

The boot lid as an example Jayco has a batch of serial numbers of defected vans and often references that as well even if out of warranty as they found issues in certain batches of boot lids

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
But really you want a van you dont have to fix .......a plasric wall comming away from van wall is one thing but that crack looks strange to me the whole wall would come away before such a crack happened the glue just dosnt hold that strong to crack it i peeled most of the glue off my plastic wall after they took them off with no effort a joke when they know theres issues there
You dont have time for booking in and waiting for van repaires ??

Reactions: Jack Lucy & Josh

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Agree with @Bluey besides it can take a couple of months to get into a workshop and you don't want that, you never know whats behind the wall either besides just too much hassle, keep looking some nice rigs have been popping up on here also.........just don't put any cash down untill you can tyre kick the thing, if they are wanting a deposit before you see it with some BS like they have others coming to see it then walk away as you most likely will never see the money again, no meeting in car parks or other places for so called convenience, always be aware............. Sorry to be doom and gloom but there are a lot of shonky people out there especially if they know your travellers.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Short answer ,as the others say find a better one.!! The small front boot lid on my 2015 Journey Outback was not sealing with the main frontal moulding. Distorted from new.Many dont fit !! Jaycos problem.Did not want to know a bout it.$850.00 for this small lid.Remember also labour rates around $100.00 per hr or more.

@Bluey @ Drover @ BJM @expanda Thanks for all your support on all my questions the last few weeks.
I completely stick to your advise not to hand over deposit cash until I have actually seen the van on the spot.
But as I mentioned, I need to get a good sense for the market and you guys are a great help.
(wish I could bring you early January along when looking on all the expandas which are on my watchlist ;-)

No, I don't have the time to get the van repaired … we only have 12 months to stay in Oz and I don't wanna waste that time waiting for a repair, BUT knowing of the downsides of those 2 issues it can help me negotiation a fairly good price. But what is that bargain worth if I can't sell it after 12 months before going back to Europe?!

Last edited:

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
I would not write-off that van completely.
Remember that if you can buy it cheap then you will be able to sell it cheap and hopefully quickly when the time comes. It is a matter of how much you are willing to pay and more importantly what the seller is prepared to accept depending on how long it’s been on the market and how keen they are to sell.

The gumtree ad says the bathroom crack has been repaired and while it does not look as if it was a major repair perhaps it has had an adequate patch up job done. There is only one way to find out and that is to take a look.

The bubble on the front lid is only a visual impairment and would have little or no affect whatsoever on the vans functionality. It is however a really good bargaining chip for driving the price down and that is what it is all about. It all depends on your perspective on things; some people would see it as an advantage.

If the van is still on the market when you are ready to buy the seller could be getting desperate and that is when you may get yourself a bargain.

Reactions: Jack Lucy & Josh
@Bluey I don't think that a longterm-rent is leading anywhere.
I have had a look at the market for expandas since quite some time.
They are highly popular amongst families … therefore there will always be a demand for family vans.

I have seen 2011 expandas being sold for 37K, but also ones from 2013. So I believe it's not the age that counts.
What I want to say is we (my family and I) will try to buy a van for a good price – and sell it after 1 year for good money again, hoping not loosing too much.
We believe it might be even possible not to loose any money. How?

What sells a van / car / house for good money?
• really good pictures (I'm an architectural photographer – most van / car / house listings give me a really hard time looking at them)
• tell a story in which the potential buyer sees himself (create atmosphere and desire to live those moments)

Longterm-rent?
Just imagine you are only paying 30 dollars a day, (17.56.2 on camplify cost about 100 dollars a day) that sums up to 11K for a year!
No van you own yourself looses 11K during one year.

But hey – ask me in 14 months again ;-)
Uli

Reactions: chartrock