SA Coober Pedy - BIG4 Stuart Range Outback Resort

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Firstly, this is the park located right next to the Stuart Highway.
The Oasis park USED to be Big 4, but recently lost their accreditation with them, and when we originally booked still alluded to themselves as Big 4 and also accepted big 4 member cards. (They were also peeved when we cancelled the booking once we realised!!! This was also on advise of a number of other travellers who were disgusted with oasis.).

So.....
The park is a big open area with two concentric roads, with drive through spaces between the roads. In the centre are the amenities, a well appointed indoor camp kitchen, playground and bbqs. If arriving early enough, half a dozen spaces are located under a large structure providing shade. For the other 40 odd spaces, tough luck.

Toilets and showers are under sized for the numbers and here is the first place I've had to wait for a shower for a while. Showers are 20c for 2 minutes, and likewise for the laundry sink. (common to all parks in CP) We were there on the way north and coming home again, and found in both instances, some toilets were out of order.

There is no water hook up, so have full tanks before arriving. But tanks can be be filled in several locations around town for 20c per 40 litres of treated bore water.

The park is all gravel without a blade of grass.

All of this is to be expected in CP. Its a dry tough area, and a heavy reliance on artesian water.

Staff was great and friendly, even with late arrival and no booking.
The pizza shop on site was doing a roaring trade.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Stayed there a couple of times but only in the Motel style units, which are quite a bit better than some other Stuart Hwy places. Would be staying there in preference to the other places if wanting to stay with caravan. Did want to try the pizza but with a dodgy stomach to lactose after effects were not wanted while headed North or South later. There is/was a bakery further up the street and just to the left at the roundabout that had some very nice items.

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
I've stayed there a couple of times.. The Pizzas are really good, apparently the owner used to own one of the best pizza bars in Melbourne... Also the water I believe is from the local desalination plant subsidised by the S.A government. The water is well known for its great taste to drink.. I filled up all my tanks.

Chris and Mandy

Oct 6, 2014
Melbourne
We stayed there recently on our trek up and back to Uluru. Found it to have the best amenities we saw along the whole way (except for the newly renovated hahndorf resort.... Perfect). The local tour they put on was great and the pizzas were excellent - bit expensive though. The water quality there was magnificent - I would have paid ten times the amount they asked for water of that quality.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
We stayed there recently on our trek up and back to Uluru. Found it to have the best amenities we saw along the whole way (except for the newly renovated hahndorf resort.... Perfect). The local tour they put on was great and the pizzas were excellent - bit expensive though. The water quality there was magnificent - I would have paid ten times the amount they asked for water of that quality.
Was the water from the self serve bowser opposite the Shell Roadhouse?

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
One thing to watch in peak season is that on each site they put 2 vans. This is not in itself a problem but does make for long queues at the amenities in the mornings. Pizzas are excellent and they also do gluten free.