Confused on which TUG to buy

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Okay, I've been looking at a few duel cab utes over the past few weeks and I am having some difficulty in deciding which ute to buy.

Originally the BT-50 was at the top of the list, but I took the Navara ST for a drive yesterday and was very surprised with the vehicle.

The Triton is out as the back seat is no good, Have a bad atste with the Isuszu/Holden D-Max/Rodeo, Ford Ranger is $5k more than the BT-50, Amorak is nice, but limited wth 2.8 towing capacity.

So the two cars I'm down to

Navara ST:
$43 000 drive away
140kw 450nm
3t towing 300kg down ball

BT-50: XTR (lots of little nicities, not necessities)
Bigger car, but $50 000 price tag
147kw 470nm
3.3t towing 330kg down ball

Both cars will be kitted out with identical gear for most part, so that cost will not change dramaticially, apart from the delay in getting a canopy for the BT-50, as they don't have them in stock.

Extras will include:
Redarc brake controller
Tub Liner
Canopy, high line with roof racks (150kg limit), three lift up windows
T13, TJM bar with 9000lb synthetic tjm winch
towbar and wiring
lightforce driving lights
snorkle
battery isolator
battery outlet/connection in tub
transplanted icom 440 uhf radio

My question is,

If you had a choice, and yes money will be an issue and probably deciding factor, which of these two would you buy?

Please tell me of any experience with either, I would like to know of fuel consuption, real life, not quotes figures from books. This will also play an important roll in the decision.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
I favour Nissan though with the new body shape on sale here 2013 late,this will devalve much quicker compared to Mazda.pimped up the way you've optioned them will looked great.guess really haven't answered you,but I'm partial to Nissan.look forward to final decision.

Ben

Aug 22, 2011
Mandurah, WA
Hey Mick,

Just bought the new bt50 and think its pretty good, nothing like the 200 series cruiser but you get what you pay for. I bought the standard model with vinyl floors which will suit me better for 44K. Comes with diff lock standard, heaps of ground clearance, plenty of torque where you want it. Havent towed the van with it yet, towed 2.8Tonne boat and it done pretty well. I was pretty much in the same dilemma you are, in the end the ground clearance on the BT50 was the winning point. It is also worth looking into the after sales service you get.

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Hi Mick,

In the January 2012 edition of 4X4 Australia magazine the winner of the Ute of the year was the Amarok on 95pts followed by the Ranger on 90.5pts, BT-50 on 90pts, Hilux on 85.5pts and the Navara came in at 72pts. The Navara they tested was the V6 Diesel priced around $66K, this went against it in the value for money section, would be a great read for anyone with your dilemma! You can get back issues at www.magshop.com.au

Good Luck, It's a great dilemma!

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
We just test-drove the new Colarado promo ute which is a totally different ute to last years model.

It's the same as the American Chevy.

Much bigger with a higher tow rating (3.5t), the back seats were the roomiest I've ever seen in a dual cab.

Due out at the end of this month and worth a look.

Our local dealer said that the starting price was approx $47,000.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
The 2012 XLT Ranger now comes std with Tub Liner & Tow Bar, makes the price a little closer :smile:

We have nearly done 3k in our new Ranger, so far I am really impressed.

First car I have owned in 10 years that is not a Toyota.

simond

Jan 6, 2012
Adelaide SA
We went for the BT50. Got a great dealer. First Diesel for us, hope its better on the fuel than the petrol Prado we had.LOL
Happy with all the little extras the BT50 comes with,that in the end helped us decide.
There are plenty of different makes of canopies around for the BT50, have to wait 2 weeks tho.
ECB make a good bullbar for the BT

Reactions: MolongMick

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
If you do decided to go the Nissan, let me know. The month of June, I have permission to guts up any car I like. I am a fleet manager at Hornsby Nissan, If I make $100 top to bottom on a car it wont matter, plus the Navara ST has massive bonuses on them. If you do decide the BTugly, go the Ranger. It looks soooooo much better... :)

Reactions: MolongMick

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
If you do decided to go the Nissan, let me know. The month of June, I have permission to guts up any car I like. I am a fleet manager at Hornsby Nissan, If I make $100 top to bottom on a car it wont matter, plus the Navara ST has massive bonuses on them. If you do decide the BTugly, go the Ranger. It looks soooooo much better... :)

It is always good to know some one in the game.

What is the story about the positive bonnet catch and suspension on the Navara's, was this only an isue on theolder d22's or isi it still a currect problem, it does mention something in the brochure about needing to upgrade these if you put more than 55kg on the front.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey Mick,

I am going through the same process at the moment, identical cars. Though i am probably going to go the XT BT50 due to price, but it still gets all the things i want like safety features and diff locks. A sticking point for me is no seat adjustability (lumbar, height) in either the Navara ST or BT50 XT.

My brother in law just purchased the ST Navara Manual and its a very nice car for the money. Way more power and torque than my Patrol.

I'll send you a PM and call me if you want, i have been through these two cars way too many times.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hey Mick,

I am going through the same process at the moment, identical cars. Though i am probably going to go the XT BT50 due to price, but it still gets all the things i want like safety features and diff locks. A sticking point for me is no seat adjustability (lumbar, height) in either the Navara ST or BT50 XT.

My brother in law just purchased the ST Navara Manual and its a very nice car for the money. Way more power and torque than my Patrol.

Thanks Moto Moto,
I'll send you a PM and call me if you want, i have been through these two cars way too many times.

I do like both cars, but I am just neeeding to sort out some concerns I have with the Navara.
Not surte if they have addressed the problem with the bonnet latch and fonr suspension when bull bar and winch are added.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
I do like both cars, but I am just neeeding to sort out some concerns I have with the Navara.
Not surte if they have addressed the problem with the bonnet latch and fonr suspension when bull bar and winch are added.

Yes Nissan have fix.got mine done in service recently.there is a mod they do to the radiator support and bonnet catch

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I don't know if it's still the same for new vehicles, but under the recall my Pathy had a 4 inch steel cable bolted to the front cross member which hooked onto a catch on the bonnet. So you need two hands to lift the bonnet and a third hand to squeeze in and release the cable :D
Heavier duty coils were installed to the front to cope with the extra weight in the bull bar. (I think it is only the factory bars now tho, so if you add a bar later, tuff luck) I don't think the heavier duty coil is a bad thing - not every wants a front bar, and if it was installed from scratch with no bar, the ride would be harsher.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I don't know if it's still the same for new vehicles, but under the recall my Pathy had a 4 inch steel cable bolted to the front cross member which hooked onto a catch on the bonnet. So you need two hands to lift the bonnet and a third hand to squeeze in and release the cable :D
Heavier duty coils were installed to the front to cope with the extra weight in the bull bar. (I think it is only the factory bars now tho, so if you add a bar later, tuff luck) I don't think the heavier duty coil is a bad thing - not every wants a front bar, and if it was installed from scratch with no bar, the ride would be harsher.

Had a chat to the service centre today and they informed me that the series 6 Navara has the heavy duty springs and modifies bonnet latch (stronger than the original) so atleast that should not be an issue.
Regarding the suspension, I will be instaling heavier duty springs front and rear when the budget allows for it.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Had a chat to the service centre today and they informed me that the series 6 Navara has the heavy duty springs and modifies bonnet latch (stronger than the original) so at least that should not be an issue.
Regarding the suspension, I will be installing heavier duty springs front and rear when the budget allows for it.

Just about to say the same thing. I have had a few bars fitted to D40's and have not had an issue. Apparently the latest ones have a better clutch fitted as well. Nissan don't actually do a steel bar for D40 or R51 anymore. They only offer the alloy and smart bar. You will need to go ARB, which are around the $1300 fitted...

Always happy to help a fellow Panda owner :)

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Okay, I've been looking at a few duel cab utes over the past few weeks and I am having some difficulty in deciding which ute to buy.

Originally the BT-50 was at the top of the list, but I took the Navara ST for a drive yesterday and was very surprised with the vehicle.

The Triton is out as the back seat is no good, Have a bad atste with the Isuszu/Holden D-Max/Rodeo, Ford Ranger is $5k more than the BT-50, Amorak is nice, but limited wth 2.8 towing capacity.

So the two cars I'm down to

Navara ST:
$43 000 drive away
140kw 450nm
3t towing 300kg down ball

BT-50: XTR (lots of little nicities, not necessities)
Bigger car, but $50 000 price tag
147kw 470nm
3.3t towing 330kg down ball

Both cars will be kitted out with identical gear for most part, so that cost will not change dramaticially, apart from the delay in getting a canopy for the BT-50, as they don't have them in stock.

Extras will include:
Redarc brake controller
Tub Liner
Canopy, high line with roof racks (150kg limit), three lift up windows
T13, TJM bar with 9000lb synthetic tjm winch
towbar and wiring
lightforce driving lights
snorkle
battery isolator
battery outlet/connection in tub
transplanted icom 440 uhf radio

My question is,

If you had a choice, and yes money will be an issue and probably deciding factor, which of these two would you buy?

Please tell me of any experience with either, I would like to know of fuel consuption, real life, not quotes figures from books. This will also play an important roll in the decision.

Just on that, If I carved the crap out of the new STX with the big block V6 it would not be much more than the 50k they want for the BTfugly

Just a thought. I am thinking of it myself from the Pathy but SWMBO wont let me :(

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Apparently the latest ones have a better clutch fitted as well.

So after denying Clutch claims from owners for the last few years, they now accept their was a problem after all? Geez some modern manufacturers leave a bad taste in your mouth.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
My mind is made up, I have ordered.............................................................

Check out the new thread.