condensation and water leaking issues

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Ok We just got back from a weekend away with lots of rain. we had leaking hard lids onto the bed ends, So much that we had to tip the water off regularly over the night. Mainly the front one. Also we had leaks coming in at both the bottom corners of front and back beds. It seemed to run down from the hinge end and pool in the base actually seeping through the joins. We had so much in the rear end at the side the safe is that it ran into the rear boot. At first I thought it was condensation but this was more than that, we put a tea towel down and by the morning it had about 150mls in it.
Two questions.
Has anyone else had this problem. The hard lids I know about but water pooling that much it surely a big problem? Would it be due to the hinges being shorter than the lid?

Also does anyone have big problems with condensation around the top of the van. Mainly the metal that goes to the outside.
We are contacting Jayco to see what they say.
Thanks in advance
Richard

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hi Randl007,

Im sorry to hear of your woes.... we had a similar issue when our 17.56-2 was new but nothing to that extreme, firstly every poptop caravan I have been around will build up condensation at one time or another, although now I have kiddies I think it's worse than what I ever remember my parents, uncles or grandparents van's being....... could be a Jayco thing too! I would prefer blame the kids :tsk:

Our front hardlid did leak water between the hinge, I mentioned it to Jayco Canberra @ the first service & they pulled the doors off & resealed both sides of the hinges. I also had leaks around my hard lids when we travelled in the wet, I adjusted the the strikers on the dorrs and havent had an issue with this since.

I hope this helps

Big Gee

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
Sorry to hear of your water issues! We are yet to use ours in the rain to see if we have any water problems.

It would be watching this thread with interest too ...as we experience the extreme condensation on the top on the metal too...so much that it can run...last time I used a tea towel to go around and wipe it off and the tea towel was as wet as though the dishes had been wiped up. I wouldn't want to have to pack up before it dried out!

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
These are the little plates that the latches pull and hold the door closed with. There is also adjustment on the back of the locking mechanisms.

Basically all I did was adjust the door to close tighter.

Hope this helps

Reactions: randl007

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
First time we used our 16.40 we had a lot of rain, but there were also ver strong winds. A considerable amount of water ran along under the bed. The water was running around the end of the hinge and then into the van.I was going to put a length of channel above the hard lid to divert the water but haven't really had the issue since, so have been a bit slack about the mod. And in a high wind, I'm not sure it will help.

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Had the Van at Jayco who said they have fixed the leaking so will check it out when we pick up the van to go away on Monday. I am however hoping we get no rain in that week. I will let you all know what happens

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Good Luck, camping without rain HA! if it was me going I would have less chance of getting struck on the bum by lightning. :tongue:

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Well plenty of rain and although we had the ends resealed we still got wet. This time it actually came into the van and onto the bed, so back to Jayco to see if they can fix it. Not only that the awning leaked and the annexe holes had been drilled incorrectly. We shall wait for our next trip to see what happens.