Compliance plates

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi All,
I was looking at the compliance plate on my new Joirny 17.55-5sh and I'm a little confused. My caravan is a dual axle with shower, toilet and 2 water tanks. Payload is 475kg
Compliance plate shows:
Empty Ball Mass 138kg Max Ball Mass 182kg
Tare Weight 1816kg
GTM 2122kg
ATM 2260kg.
So if ATM is a total of Tare (1816kg) and payload (475kg), I would have thought my ATM should be 2291kg and not 2260kg. Am I missing something here, or is there an error on my compliance plate? There is a 31kg difference for some reason. Maybe I'm missing something, or too many beers last night.
Cheers
Nick

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Hi All,
I was looking at the compliance plate on my new Joirny 17.55-5sh and I'm a little confused. My caravan is a dual axle with shower, toilet and 2 water tanks. Payload is 475kg
Compliance plate shows:
Empty Ball Mass 138kg Max Ball Mass 182kg
Tare Weight 1816kg
GTM 2122kg
ATM 2260kg.
So if ATM is a total of Tare (1816kg) and payload (475kg), I would have thought my ATM should be 2291kg and not 2260kg. Am I missing something here, or is there an error on my compliance plate? There is a 31kg difference for some reason. Maybe I'm missing something, or too many beers last night.
Cheers
Nick
I would say that you are correct and there is a mistake.

Reactions: Rockape

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
2014 21-64. 1 OB modified. No ensuite (replaced with cupboards, but kept HWS and 2nd h2o tank), bigger fridge, solar (150W), ESC and other things that I'm sure all add up.

image.png

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I wonder are they really 6JJ rims though @Smirke...????? and 3333 axle load rating ???? really, never seen figures like that, they are usually rounded off, look like an answer from a calculator............these plates are always a source of wonder..

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I have no idea @Drover . Just seen this on the wheels. Have no idea what it means.
image.jpg

Otherwise, there are no other markings on any of them.
Must admit, didn't realise our HWS weighed so much. (Saw the discrepancy between @Bellbirdweb and my tow ball mass)

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
I would say that you are correct and there is a mistake.
I agree, so I sent am email to Jayco in Melbourne and received the following response.

All units in NSW have a fixed ATM
This often results in differences with the payload - no need for a change to the Vin plate.

Are they serious! Never heard that before. If the literature, their website and the salesperson state I have a 475 kg payload, then that's what I'll be pushing for not the 444 kg on my compliance plate.
i think I'll speak to my dealer to see what they say. Hopefully it can get resolved at my first service.
Cheers
Nick

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
2014 21-64. 1 OB modified. No ensuite (replaced with cupboards, but kept HWS and 2nd h2o tank), bigger fridge, solar (150W), ESC and other things that I'm sure all add up.

View attachment 36937

Interesting comparing your plate to mine @Smirke.

I still have the ensuite on my 21.64-1 yet my plate shows 171kg empty ball mass vs yours at 238kg.

Seems odd for exactly the same van

Reactions: Smirke

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
2015 Basestation 21.66-6. No major alteration other than under slung axles.
Book technical specs are:
Tare 2250kg
Tow ball 230kg
Payload 650kg

Therefore my Tare weight above book is 302kg and ball weight is 12 kg extra.

As others have deduced, the max ball weight is +10% of the payload in my case being 10% of 640kg, (3192-2552=640kg) ie 242+64=306kg.

Still trying to fully understand how all the weights are determined but the one thing I'm sure of is that no matter which way I look at it, it's heavy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 263
Reactions: Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Interesting comparing your plate to mine @Smirke.

I still have the ensuite on my 21.64-1 yet my plate shows 171kg empty ball mass vs yours at 238kg.

Seems odd for exactly the same van
I know, but then I realized that your van has the HWS next to the fridge, over the axels, where as ours and the water pump are in the front boot on the slide out side. We did ask for it to be changed, but they refused. We did manage to get the battery under the lounge though. Otherwise, I have no idea why ours is so heavy.
We will be putting a box on the front too so that's more weight. Luckily the spare is going to the back.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Another classic plate @pauljygrant , so do you have 15" wheels with 14" tyres shoehorned on then...........and since your axle load cap is the same as your GVM I would say your plate doesn't comply like most of the others.......would that make them illegal then ???

@Smirke next time your checking your spare have a look on the inside and you should find a marking of 6JJ or 7JJ stamped inside along with other marks which denote load rating and off set......some pics on my thread I think. Oh and the pretty tube cap means it has been inflated with nitrogen, which means buggerall on a van just use normal air.

Reactions: Rockape and Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Another classic plate @pauljygrant , so do you have 15" wheels with 14" tyres shoehorned on then...........and since your axle load cap is the same as your GVM I would say your plate doesn't comply like most of the others.......would that make them illegal then ???

@Smirke next time your checking your spare have a look on the inside and you should find a marking of 6JJ or 7JJ stamped inside along with other marks which denote load rating and off set......some pics on my thread I think. Oh and the pretty tube cap means it has been inflated with nitrogen, which means buggerall on a van just use normal air.
Thanks @Drover . Just went and looked at the spare. Found a 15 X 6JJ stamped on the inside.
(Didn't even notice those little caps were green. I was focused on the letters next to them. Good to know what they mean though)

Reactions: Dobbie and Drover

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide

Didn't notice the wheel / tyre mismatch but you are correct. The wheel has 14x6JJ stamped on it and tyres are 185R14 so the reference to 15" wheels on the plate is obviously wrong. Not sure if it's worth having the plate changed until it next goes into the dealer for something else.
Don't understand the issue with the axle limit. I thought that the GTM is the max weight via the axle anyway, ie the total trailer weight less the ball weight - perhaps someone could help explain why this might be an issue?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have never really looked into the details regarding axle load and GTM, just assumed that axle loads should be more than trailer mass, always is in trucks and most plates seem to show the axle having a bigger number but then I think these plates are fantasy and probably wouldn't stand up in court due to the amount of errors.