Collecting Expanda in 5 days!

new2expanda

Apr 15, 2011
Echuca/Moama
The Expanda has arrived!

Hi! I have been watching this forum for a little while now! We ordered our Expanda 17.56-2-OB in January & am excited to know that we will be collecting it on Wednesday! We plan to go on our first trip on Thursday for Easter.

I have found the forum helpful when choosing the "extras" for our new van. There's lots of great advice on here.

new2expanda

Apr 15, 2011
Echuca/Moama
Just a short trip for the Easter break an hour or so from home with family & friends to Wakool (NSW). Will be a good opportunity to give the Expanda it's first test run!

new2expanda

Apr 15, 2011
Echuca/Moama
Expanda Is HERE!!!!

Finally picked up our 17.56-2 OB Expanda today! Of all days for it to rain - today was it! Oh well, we are almost packed & ready to head off on our first little outing. I am posting one pic now & will have plenty more after Easter!

We are towing the Expanda with a 2006 Navara STR (I think!) that is fitted with a tray & cages & canvas canopy. Haven't had any luck finding towing mirrors to fit the Navara though... Any suggestions?

Attachments

• expanda.jpg
    expanda.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 325

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
That Expanda looks great! You must be very excited to get it in time for Easter.

PS nice Navara too, love to hear how it goes towing the van.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Good luck with the new rig. My tug is a Navara 2006 STR and I use a Britax mirror on the driver side and the passenger side just one of the type that clip on the existing nmirror. As I recall, the Britax cost about $90 and clamps from the top of the door where the window winds up down to the bottom of the door. It has a rubber pad on the back of the frame where it contacts the door and so far has not appeared to mark the paint work with 4 years of use. The main advantage I find with this is you can take the mirror out without having to take the clamp setup off the door making it legal to drive without the van during stops.

Disadvantage is that it may scratch the widow if you wind it up and down a lot with it on and also, my unit is rusting. I will need to get to it with a wire brush and paint before too long.

To answer some of the other questions about the Navara, it is a great towing vehicle, very economical although my Nav has had D-gas fitted to it to work with the diesel and a 2.75" exhaust which does give it quite a bit more grunt (or economy if you drive passively). My only complaint is that 1st gear is too high and if you have to start on a hill with the van on it struggles a bit. Thank goodness for low range, it will get you to the top of any hill.

If anyone has other queries about Navaras, new or old, D40 or D22, there is a Navara forum where someone can answer virtually any question you can come up with.
http://www.navara.asia/ :D

new2expanda

Apr 15, 2011
Echuca/Moama
Expanda success!

We are back from our first 5 night trip in the Expanda... All went well. We set up a pressure pump from the river to the van & used that for showering etc., so we didn't use up all our fresh water. We had plenty of room for the kids & other overnight guests! I must say our guests enjoyed the luxury of morning showers!

I am still trying to work out what I'm going to put in each storage compartment, but I'm getting there! Any suggestions for adding shelving to the "robe"? I bought a $12 wire cube from Bunnings which acted a bit like a shelf and worked well.

I've attached a few more pics. The interior pics show the bunks set up as beds & as a table. I'm thinking about moving the position of the ladder, as when it's up, there is limited access to the seat & underneath cupboard. I love the new interior colour & the new door handles are fantastic!

We went for the rooftop air con (we used the heater a few times over the weekend), the larger fridge & the external shower & gas bayonet.

As for the Navara, hubby says it towed really well (I was in another vehicle with the boat!).

Attachments

• expanda_0007.jpg
    expanda_0007.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 276
  • expanda_0004.jpg
    expanda_0004.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 284
  • expanda_0001.jpg
    expanda_0001.jpg
    858.9 KB · Views: 312
  • expanda_0006.jpg
    expanda_0006.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 303
  • expanda_0005.jpg
    expanda_0005.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 308
  • expanda_0002.jpg
    expanda_0002.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 269
  • expanda_0003.jpg
    expanda_0003.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 315
  • expanda.jpg
    expanda.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 296

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
We set up a pressure pump from the river to the van & used that for showering etc., so we didn't use up all our fresh water. We had plenty of room for the kids & other overnight guests! I must say our guests enjoyed the luxury of morning showers

Hi new2expanda,
I have a question hoping u will be able to help. We were thinking of setting a pressure pump to a river for showers as well when we get our 16.49.3 in 8 weeks. How did u go about setting it up?
Thanks