coax cable connection

Mich

May 2, 2012
Hi, another new member, enjoy the site alot. We are a family of four and have a 14.44-4. On our last trip the park we stayed in supplied coax cable for Austar.We have a connection next to the power outlet for the cable(thats what we think they told us at handover), we tried to use it and didn't work so ended up putting it in the door, not a great option with kids. Does anybody know how to get it to work, do we need other connections?Spoke to someone at the park who was staying there, he worked for another park that also supplied austar and said that it's a hit and miss.We would love some advice .This is our first caravan, but not new to caravaning.We just love our expanda, it's perfect for our little family.Cheers

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey Mich

Welcome to the forum, congrats on getting the Expanda and don't forget to post a few photos of the van as well.

Can I ask a silly question? Did you have it plugged in on the left or right side of the van looking from the back? The TV inlet is next to the power inlet on the right hand side. There is a power outlet on the left (door) side of the van that may have another TV outlet if the van came with one.

Can you please provide some more info on the setup and where you plugged eveything into, photos are very helpful.

Cheers

Gil

Mich

May 2, 2012
Thanks for replying, the tv inlet is on the right side next to the power inlet, drivers side, we only have the one. The antena is a windup not sure of brand.The tv itself sits on the left side near the door . We have also been told that the amplifier can make it worse. Sorry I wont have any photos the van is in the shed and its a tight fit. Hubby just had a look and thinks we need to convert from thread to push in on the austar cable, not sure if right or possible.All we did was try and put the cable into the tv inlet on the right side, nothing else. We are still trying to learn the in and outs.

Thanks

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi there, welcome to the site!!!!

Hope you are enjoying the van and it sounds like you are :)

Okay lets deal with this by internal and external connections....

External connection -

OK they would have given you a COAX cable as that is what needs to screw into there system. From reading your post it had the two screw type connectors on each end like this? -

images (1).jpg

This will not connect to your van as you have pointed out.

So you should have had on one end of the COAX an adaptor screwed into the COAX to make it a normal antenna plug like this (as you mentioned push rather than screw :) ) -

coax_plug_f_connector.jpg

I am guessing some one has nicked the adaptor plug like the above and or they don't provide it.

I carry a couple of these in the van about 10 of them actually with a variety of connection types inlet and outlet.

So get one of the above adapters and next time they give you the coax cable, screw one end of the coax straight into there spot and then screw your adapter in the other end of the coax and plug this directly into your antenna plug on the right hand side of the van exterior next to the power point.

Just remember if you are using your adapter plug to make sure you take it out when you hand the coax back or you will end up like me and continually running out :)!!!!!

Internal Connection -

Inside is just a reverse of the above, you buy a COAX cable for your desired length one end should just screw into the point in your van as you pointed out and in the other end you screw the correct adapter to plug it into your TV.

You can also buy antenna cord that don't require the adaptor like this, it just screws into the port in your van and then plugs straight into your telly. -

images.jpg

So once you have done this you turn of the booster (Green light should be off) on the external antenna plug in your van and you then just tune your TV in on auto tune.

It should automatically pick up the Austar / Foxtel channels when its tuned.

And that's it you are ready to go!!!

Most of these can be sourced from Big W, Kmart etc but I bought mine from a $2 shop in there electronics shop. People say it might be crappy quality but I have not experienced any major issues in using them.

I hope I have it right from your posts but that's how our vans our setup when we get the foxtel cable. :)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We stay at a park last weekend that I knew had Austar/Foxtel because we stayed there before, hooked up to there system I carry my own cord, tuned the TV got all the channels NO austar/Foxtel HHHHMMMM didn't dawn on me till the day we were leaving, we were on Digital, switch back analogue and her presto there was the Austar/Fox :doh:

Mich

May 2, 2012
Hi, Thanks expanda, when I'm in town next I'll get the adapters like you showed and give it a go .Bushman your right , we couln't get the austar the first night new tv didn't think, we have been to this park a few times before and no problems the girl at the desk said to just retune,lucky someone there told us to go through analogue.We are slowly getting to know the van and through this site gaining more knowledge.