Choice article on Lemon Caravans

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I stumbled upon this about 12months ago when we were having some issues with the specs of our new van.

and also heard a discussion on ABC radio with interviews with people from the group, people representing the manufacturers and those in the industry, but without a vested interest.

What I found was

.....the lemon caravan group all had real issues but many of those issues were directly caused by the owners themselves...eg...suspension failures while asking too much from the van, cracking of roofs after the owner had climbed up regularly to clean it (he'd always done that with his camper trailer so why not?) and some ridiculous scenarios. Some, however, did have legitimate complaints and the way they were handled highlighted the failure of the industry itself to arbitrate, investigate without bias and communicate with those concerned.

The biggest failure, IMHO, was the poor communication between the major stakeholders and the tendency of manufacturers to put the onus on the dealer to sort it out, without adequately supporting the dealer and without satisfactory communication with the client.. There seemed to be an attitude of "ignore and hope it goes away" which, of course, just makes it worse and further alienates the client.

Our issues were dealt with, by us, and I didn't want anything to do with the group as I felt it was being driven by some very vindictive people who weren't being entirely honest about the cause and the process.

(One of the leading lights was offered a full refund but was bitter because he'd bought through a company and claimed gst but the refund took that into account.....he wanted to make a profit!)

Caravans will always have issues but there certainly is a need for those to be addressed by an independent body in a sane and honest way.

I hope Choice is able to highlight the issues.......so I'll now read the article!

That's my ten cents worth!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I've now read the article and agree with their comments.

I particularly like the bit about the difference between a real off road and semi off-road van. That appears to be a major cause of grumbling from the lemon group leaders....fair enough....but it doesn't take too much effort to try to understand whether you're buying something fit for the purpose.

There are many questions about exactly that on this forum....from sensible people investigating before buying.

and if you don't know....investigate but don't take the word of a salesman!

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Unfortunately there are many examples of "Not fit for purpose" in the caravan sector, not just claims from owners doing the wrong thing. Vans that are untowable from stability, vans rolling off the production line with 490+kg ball weights, some that do not meet ADR compliance for overhang from the rear axle.
It is time for the industry to start regulating itself properly and push out the rogue manufacturers.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi,
here is a link to an interesting article from Choice on Lemon Caravans and the Law:
https://www.choice.com.au/transport/cars/general/articles/lemon-caravans-and-consumer-rights
The article contains a link to Facebook group set up by Tracy Leigh: Lemon Caravans and RVs in Australia which has over 16,000 members:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lemoncaravansinaus/

cheers
Mike
I joined that group briefly earlier this year.

Lots of genuine issues for sure, but what a winge fest.