Checking and Setting pressure in air bags

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
what do people use to check and set the pressure in airbags? I tried the electronic air hoses in service stations but they come up with an error. I suspect it is because so little air is needed to change the pressure. I have a small foot pump that we used to use for blowing up air mattresses. It has a pressure gauge but it is getting old and the connecting hose is perishing.

cheers
Mike

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi,
what do people use to check and set the pressure in airbags? I tried the electronic air hoses in service stations but they come up with an error. I suspect it is because so little air is needed to change the pressure. I have a small foot pump that we used to use for blowing up air mattresses. It has a pressure gauge but it is getting old and the connecting hose is perishing.

cheers
Mike
I used to have the same problem with my original Polyair bags.

I ended up fitting a gauge set and onboard inflation and deflation system.

It’s now hooked up to my new firestone bags.

In combination with my tyre pressure monitors I’ve been able to get the adjustment perfect to get all 4 tyres on the van equally loaded and at the same temperature.

https://www.airbagman.com.au/find/airbag-man-ac1030d-for-a-/part-ac1030d/cid-0/vid-0

Reactions: mikerezny

GJMitchell

Oct 31, 2017
Brisbane
I just use the bike floor pump to pump them up (it's always coming on the trip anyway for the kid's bikes) and then my tyre gauge that lives in the drivers door pocket to adjust them down to the right pressure. Always go a little higher with the bike pump and bring it down to the right pressure with the tyre gauge as the gauge on the pump isn't accurate. Don't forget to do it after the van is hooked up and you're loaded ready to go...

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I used to use my Harley air shock hand pump but I broke the end off, I used my home compressor last weekend before it built up too much air and a tyre gauge @GJMitchell why do you check yours after loading, I pump mine up to 20psi unloaded?

GJMitchell

Oct 31, 2017
Brisbane
@GJMitchell why do you check yours after loading, I pump mine up to 20psi unloaded?

DRW, once you add the ball weight of the van to the vehicle the pressure in the bag increases significantly. From memory if I have 28PSI in the bags loaded, once I unhook the van the pressure drops to around 20PSI.

Also, the manufacturers recommend inflating after loading. From the airbag man site:

We recommend loading the vehicle first and then inflating the airbags to level the uneven load. Measurements from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch or tray can be noted down to ensure you maintain a safe and level ride height at all times.

GJM

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
DRW, once you add the ball weight of the van to the vehicle the pressure in the bag increases significantly. From memory if I have 28PSI in the bags loaded, once I unhook the van the pressure drops to around 20PSI.

Also, the manufacturers recommend inflating after loading. From the airbag man site:

We recommend loading the vehicle first and then inflating the airbags to level the uneven load. Measurements from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch or tray can be noted down to ensure you maintain a safe and level ride height at all times.

GJM
How much air pressure do you put in the bags when not towing?

GJMitchell

Oct 31, 2017
Brisbane
How much air pressure do you put in the bags when not towing?
You don't need much, only enough to stop the bag folding on itself and pinching. I usually deflate them to about 6PSI, any lower and I don't trust my gauge. From memory the recommendation is around the 4-6PSI mark.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you have old, original springs that are getting a bit tired don't use the air bags to take up the slack though, replace the springs and shocks or nasty things could happen, the bags should aurgment the springs and shocks not be the main suspension device....I would only fit bags after upgrading the suspension, original gear is pretty ordinary.