17' Series check your shackles

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
When you measured the ball weight did you have the car connected with a WDH?
If not, in theory a WDH will reduce the ball weight, which should put you within the limit.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Here seems like a good as place as any to ask this question. I was talking to my friendly Jayco dealer today regarding my vans imminent arrival and I bought up compliance plates and weights. It was explained to me that the van is weighed after manufacture and before it leaves thefactory and the weight is stamped as is with all factory accessories/options then the allowable payload added to then determine its total weight. Does this sound correct. As it is a small van I would expect to still be within my vehicles towing limit.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Here seems like a good as place as any to ask this question. I was talking to my friendly Jayco dealer today regarding my vans imminent arrival and I bought up compliance plates and weights. It was explained to me that the van is weighed after manufacture and before it leaves thefactory and the weight is stamped as is with all factory accessories/options then the allowable payload added to then determine its total weight. Does this sound correct. As it is a small van I would expect to still be within my vehicles towing limit.

Correct @MDS69 but you can get some weights changed (AGM etc) after delivery but usually loer weights... Not sure about increasing them tho!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Bluey ... Forgot to mention previously but I also have a set of ball weight scales and the reading alternates between 15-20kgs high and low even without adding or removing things from the van... As suggested prior would recommend taking the van somewhere else for a second opinion...

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Can we get our vans recomplianced? I mean the axels etc would be rated to carry x amount so wondering if could get our payload increased?

What would this involve and how much?

BJ.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Can we get our vans recomplianced? I mean the axels etc would be rated to carry x amount so wondering if could get our payload increased?

BJ.
There was someone on here a while back that had had their van re-engineered and weights changed (had a quad bike rack on the front of the Van) , he actually had the licensing done at my local licensing centre here in Northam I'll see if I can fin d the post

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Thanks @Capt. Gadget, may look into the process for Qld.
As I have said in another thread somewhere, they wouldn't use different axles/suspension for the same type of van so I would expect that a van with just the basic setup would have the same as a van with a lot of extras (if the same model). Eg my 14.44-4 would surely have the same running gear as one win the lot. So would expect there is allowances to increase the weights or re-weigh after some basic mods.

BJ.

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)

BJ.
@Bmhdg76 , i was planning in getting my 17.56-2 re-engineered as part of all my works but decided to sell it first. There is a bloke up in Caboluture that does it. Fill your van, and weigh it. Then take it to him with what you want as a final compliance weight. He will then get his engineer (retired) to work out what i required to get to that weight.

The cost was $440 from memory. You can then have them do the work or take it away and do it yourself. You essentially pay up front, once the work is complete you take the van back and they will inspect it. Once happy they give you the new paperwork.

It seemed a very straight forward process when i looked into it. I can find the guys details if you would like. They should be in an old diary at work.

With the extra focus on overweight being seen around the country on the roads it is probably a small cost in reality.

Reactions: Bmhdg76

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD

BJ.

Your van would have 2 ton axles and 1 ton rims and has around an 1800kg GVM so that could give you an extra 200kg which would also mean a higher tow ball weight and you would be on your max limits, never a good thing plus you would have to upgrade your tyres which if like my originals the load rating was not high enough anyway, looking at most vans they only seem to have a 300 or 400kg payload which most people ignore as the payload is usually taken up by water, full gas bottles, fuel jerry, pushies and barbie.
So you would really have to go new axles, rims, tyres, springs, break away kit since your on the 2ton and probably some other thing because you only have one axle, be easier to get a new van but then the same thing arises.
The shackle load rating always amazes me, when a van lets go the tow bar seems to be ripped from the tow anyway so it's academic, van and tow go flying all over the place, a scary thing to see I can tell you.

Reactions: Bluey

Greg Swain

Nov 20, 2013
gold coast
yes the factory weighs the complete van with selected accessories on completion . This gives the owner a real figure to work with when loading personal items and the usual caravan set up on site items .
The factory tare weight is accurate while the brochure weight is a generic (no accessories ) figure .