14' Series Check Fridge Exhaust

craigandteena

Aug 30, 2014
Canberra
www.expandasdownunder.com
I thought I would share this with others. Over the weekend during really hot weather the fridge was performing poor. After a variety of checks I looked down from the top fridge vent and discovered the flu was not connected to the external vent. On top of the flu is a T piece to which the slightly higher outlet of the T piece should be connected to the external exhaust. I found mine pointing directly towards the condenser fins adding more hot air to them. Connected correctly and all works well now. Another poor Quality control scenario.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Found ours struggling during really warm weather on our trip, and increased by 18 degrees on a 5 hour drive. when it gets a bit cooler, I will be checking like you.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
We got home today from 3 nights away. Our fridge also performed poorly compared to a trip away over the new year with similar outside temps. I might check this out as well, it may have dislodged on the 400km trip home earlier this month.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The flu really only works when your on gas but it is very important that it is secure so the air will vent to the outside, on 240 or 12v if the air doesn't flow in the lower vent then straight thru the fins and then can only go out the upper vent by way of baffles then your fridge was installed incorrectly and will not be efficient.
Any openings to the side or top of the fridge, cable runs leading into cupboards will cause poor performance.

Reactions: craigandteena

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Tried to take our top vent off......no luck. (We have the 2 door fridge) any ideas on how we can check?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Fridge type ??? Dometec you have to slide the catch on the left up before you pull that side out.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Fridge type ??? Dometec you have to slide the catch on the left up before you pull that side out.
Yes, a dometic rm 4601. I can get the vent on the side of the van off, as we have water leaking in at that point. But cannot see how to get the roof vent off.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Somebody with a roof top vent should chime in, mines on the side. Mr Google ???
Actually there is a thread about leaking roof top fridge vent, don't know where though.

Reactions: Smirke

M Cressey

Mar 9, 2014
New Zealand
Re roof vent - there are four screws that are deep down inside pockets that are filled with silicon, I popped out the silicon and then unscrewed the four screws and was able to view the gas exhaust vent, make sure that you put heaps of silicon back in the holes as i'm sure that they will leak if not well sealed.

Re water leaks from the side vent - I removed my side vent after it was leaking and have siliconed in a backing plate along the bottom edge of the vent to stop the water flowing into the van. (i will take a picture next time we are at the van, it is currently in storage)

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Re roof vent - there are four screws that are deep down inside pockets that are filled with silicon, I popped out the silicon and then unscrewed the four screws and was able to view the gas exhaust vent, make sure that you put heaps of silicon back in the holes as i'm sure that they will leak if not well sealed.

Re water leaks from the side vent - I removed my side vent after it was leaking and have siliconed in a backing plate along the bottom edge of the vent to stop the water flowing into the van. (i will take a picture next time we are at the van, it is currently in storage)
Thought they must have been under the silicon, but not sure if I want to disturb it.
While away, I popped the side vent off and put a plastic bag in the top right corner to act as flashing. (The bag fell on the outside of the vent). Discovered the water coming down from the awning above the slide out and running into the top of the vent, coming out along the edge of the slide out and under the fridge.

Reactions: Drover