Electrical Changing to lithium

rdougy

Feb 1, 2023
Gosford
I have a 2009 14.4-2 Expanda and want to swap to lithium batteries.

do I need to change the charging system (setec?)in the van?

i currently charge from the house with an amfibian into 115ah agm’s

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I have a 2009 14.4-2 Expanda and want to swap to lithium batteries.

do I need to change the charging system (setec?)in the van?

i currently charge from the house with an amfibian into 115ah agm’s
@rdougy , you not only need to change your van charging, but also your solar controller needs to be able to control lithium charging properly, and also charging from tug will need a DC to DC charger too. Lithium batteries need 14.6 volts to charge properly If you exceed that at any time, unit will shut down. Charging must not have a "desulphation stage" nor "equalization" and a "Float" program is not required. Lithium batteries have their own internal BMS... See attached for more info.

Last edited:

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
it also only trickle charges batteries at 0.8A.
I do not believe that to be a true statement and suggest you download and carefully read the Setec manual. It will explain the conditions when the Setec will charge at only 0.8A. Note that each series of Setec is slightly different. There are three series; ST, ST-II and ST-III.

TomKat121111

Nov 30, 2022
Dunedin, NZ
I do not believe that to be a true statement and suggest you download and carefully read the Setec manual. It will explain the conditions when the Setec will charge at only 0.8A. Note that each series of Setec is slightly different. There are three series; ST, ST-II and ST-III.
Apologies you are correct (from ST-II manual):
1675301803460.png
1675302010021.png

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Apologies you are correct (from ST-II manual):
View attachment 68886View attachment 68887
@TomKat121111 , that is why the Setec is only just acceptable to charge Gel batteries (should be able to charge up to 14.2 or 14.4V as listed on sides of Gel batteries), but it is a safe voltage. However not good enough to charge AGMs which require up to 14.7 volts for full charge. I don't use my Setec to charge up my AGM - I use multi stage "smart" charger which can reach that level. Setec okay for float charge and even has a Storage voltage of 13.25 which comes on daily for a period of time too. One good point!! However, the low voltage disconnect at only 10.0 volts is too low (IMHO) to save battery once it gets that low.

Attachments

• battery charging stages.jpg
    battery charging stages.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 97
  • AGM Battery Voltage-Charging_0002.jpg
    AGM Battery Voltage-Charging_0002.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 104
  • P1120266.JPG
    P1120266.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 111
  • P1120268.JPG
    P1120268.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 97

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My question is Why change to lithium ???
OFF grid capability?
Less weight ?

If you off grid camp most of the time its worth the outlay if not then no value or an expensive weight reduction......... principle charging shoudl be by solar via a compatable MPPT reg, spending big $$$ on a 240v charger which will have little use should be researched fully as lithium doesn't need all that much charging in storage and a portable panel would do the same job........... If you need one in caravan parks then you don't have an off grid capability the same in the requirement for a tug charger unless you only use portable panels of course............

I bring this up as I come across many who spend so much money on gear, (advice of sales reps,) to be off grid capable and in fact gets very little use as it isn't needed if the solar set up is done properly which isn't as expensive as some make out ......
The small print needs to be read for each lithium as they do not sing from the same song sheet, so unless the instructions apply to your model then ignore them..