Change Factory Rims & Tyres to LC 5 Stud and slightly bigger tyres

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hi,

We are looking at doing an extended central and western Australia circuit and thoughts came to tyres & rims. In doing some reading, some people recommend using a 16" rim/tyre as they are more readily available in remote locations.

Currently the 17.56-2 has the factory standard rims and 235 R15 tyres on it, while the Cruiser currently has 285 R18. And in an effort to minimise weight, I though that if all tyres & rid are the same, then I only need two spares, not four (2 for each - car & van).

I was thinking of changing the 10" brake drums on the van to a 5 stud Land Cruiser pattern, then new steel rims for both the Cruiser & Panda, but sticking with the Cruisers 285 wheel size.

The niggling question is what is the impact of changing the Panda's wheel size from 235 to 285s?

Cheers,

Rohan

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Hmmm not sure hat the offset of the LC rim is compared to the Jayco one, but just checking my 17.56 OB, there is about 50mm max clearance from the bulge of the tyre to various potential contact areas on the chassis or suspension.
On the outside, The tyre is about 20mm inboard of the outer hard trim.
So unless the offset of the LC rim is spot on to push 20mm out, and 30mm in, it just won't fit without either contact on the inside, or sticking out the side of the van.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@Soaring,

Thanks for the reply. Thought it might have been too simple! Looks like I might have to carry an extra two wheels, or I might go down to the local tyre place and get a crash course in removing and fitting tyres to a rim. This would mean just extra tyres without the weight of the rims.

Cheers,

Rohan

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@straydingo,

Yep - Bit of a bummer really! Bought the Cruiser some months after ordering the van and failed to think about the same stud/wheel pattern until it was too late to change the order with Jayco!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
@straydingo,

Would love to do that, but have to take off the factory 6 stud and put on a LC 5 stud brake drum first. Would cost $160 for 2 drums to "find out".
Wouldn't you get a better feel for if they would come close to fitting even if all you can do is lay the wheel up against the 6 stud pattern?