Carport

Big Al

Jul 23, 2012
Hi all.Just wandering if any body has built a carport for their caravan.How much did it cost and could you show some pictures please.At the moment using one of those portable ones from super cheap auto.Works ok but would like something more permanent.
Thanks in advance.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
How long is a piece of string?
So many variations that come in to it. Free standing or attached, local building codes (cyclone coding here and you wouldn't believe what that adds to cost), does it intrude on building setback regulations and may require Planning approval and/or you have a Neighbour that might object to some aspect of it, Owner Builder or paying someone to do it.
Edited: Just thinking that I might have sounded a bit negative. Not intended. Location you are in unknown but is important. I've taken the easy wayout, most expensive, twice, and for what I got you could probably have gotten a much bigger carport done in most Southern places. Local building regs for cyclone coding add so much and then there's the local labour costs. The more lightly built type of structure that is acceptable across much of Australia could be a 1/3 of the cost. You could well get a kit that you could do yourself but then have to deal with Councils etc to process it. It can be so much easier to just contract some else who takes the stress out of it.

Last edited:

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Phil pretty much summed it up, cheapest way out if you are handy would be buy a kit from somewhere like your local Trusty Sheds agent that comes with engineering specs and put it up yourself, but best check with your council/shire first and find out what they require as it differs quite a lot from council to council and also state to state

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Looked into that myself, we already have a carport but not big enough for a van. My council are a bunch of idiots to put it politely and with all the regulations it seems too hard, I walk around the neighbourhood to see heaps of carports that is basically what I'm after! I might do it one day but not through council, they even told me if I was to rebuild what I had to same specs I'd have to apply to council again!! So many words come to mind...... Good luck with your plans Big Al.

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
My Old man and I build mine. I will tell the council.......... one day.

Galvanised Steel Frame, Welded together and a colourbond roof. Took a few week-ends to finish. Cost around $4,000 including concrete. From Memory it is 8m long 4m wide and the walls are 3.2m high. I think the roof apex ended up around 4m I can't remember. There is no front on the shed as I need vehicle access past it, hence the reason the front posts are set back and the concrete pad is cut on an angle. Here are a few pics:

20101026-CaravanShedFront2.jpg
20101101-ShedNoRoof-Front.jpg
DSC_7208-comp.jpg
Rockhampton-20111002-00087.jpg

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Weighed it up and have decided to go for a 6m x 3m (or 4m if I can) shade sail over the top. Shed or carport is too much lassle so with the climate the sale should be enough and relatively inexpensive as follows;
4 x 4m 90x90 posts $300
1 x 6m x 4m Sail $130 ($150) for the 6m x 4m
Fittings $40
Concrete $50
A BBQ and father who is a builder.....priceless....

norm walker

Oct 21, 2013
huonville tasmania
My Old man and I build mine. I will tell the council.......... one day.

Galvanised Steel Frame, Welded together and a colourbond roof. Took a few week-ends to finish. Cost around $4,000 including concrete. From Memory it is 8m long 4m wide and the walls are 3.2m high. I think the roof apex ended up around 4m I can't remember. There is no front on the shed as I need vehicle access past it, hence the reason the front posts are set back and the concrete pad is cut on an angle. Here are a few pics:

20101026-CaravanShedFront2.jpg
20101101-ShedNoRoof-Front.jpg
DSC_7208-comp.jpg
Rockhampton-20111002-00087.jpg

Big Al

Jul 23, 2012
Thanks for the replys.You guys have some fantastic sheds for your caravans and I am very jealous.If only I could afford ones like you have shown.will have to stick with the temporary car port for the moment.