14' Series Carefree awning Tee nuts

Rorydozer

Jul 30, 2019
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi folks, I have just returned home to Gold Coast after a trip to The Big Red Bash out of Birdsville. I have a Jayco Expanda 14.44.5 Outback 2014 model.
The Gravel road between Windorah & Birdsville claimed the Tee nuts from my Carefree awning. Just wondering if anyone knows where these can be purchased possibly aftermarket. I have the Knobs as they could not fall out. Best I can find is $24+ for a knob and 2 nuts. (the nuts would probably be worth less than $1 ea.
The other problem I had was the ridiculous amount of dust in the bathroom end of the van. Any ideas how to prevent this other than avoiding dusty roads would be appreciated.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Others have made their own nuts.....................................the bathroom you could try closing off the drains, dust gets sucked in thru the plumbing.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
We lost our awning nut first trip when I installed new ones I burred the three with a screwdriver so it won’t screw out all the way never lost another one.

Reactions: DRW

jcexpanda2007

Sep 22, 2013
Melbourne
Recently saw a van with an automotive air filter fitted to tubing in the draw bar area. Tubing was 100 to 150mm diameter and was directed under the front of the van.

I assumed this was being used with an in-line fan to draw in filtered air to pressurise the inside of the van.

This would reduce / eliminate dust ingress.

Just my assumption though

Cheers, John.

Luke.sleeman

Jan 14, 2019
Victoria
Hi folks, I have just returned home to Gold Coast after a trip to The Big Red Bash out of Birdsville. I have a Jayco Expanda 14.44.5 Outback 2014 model.
The Gravel road between Windorah & Birdsville claimed the Tee nuts from my Carefree awning. Just wondering if anyone knows where these can be purchased possibly aftermarket. I have the Knobs as they could not fall out. Best I can find is $24+ for a knob and 2 nuts. (the nuts would probably be worth less than $1 ea.
The other problem I had was the ridiculous amount of dust in the bathroom end of the van. Any ideas how to prevent this other than avoiding dusty roads would be appreciated.

I lost one of the nuts on my awning somewhere between the hell's gate Roadhouse and Borroloola. I took the knob into a hardware store and found a matching nut (it turned out to be a 1/4" UNC thread). The regular but has worked perfectly fine for the past 3 weeks - I don't think you actually need anything special.

It's possible you might have a different awning that needs something special, however given how quick and cheap it is, I would try the hardware store route first!