Just Browsing Caravan Movers

Hosko

Oct 8, 2018
Adelaide
Hi brains trust,

I have just purchased a 17.56-2 and can only back it two thirds up the driveway before I run out of swinging room to. I currently have to disconnected and push the van back and then re connect the car. What are peoples thoughts on caravan movers. I am looking at more a jockey wheel version and not one that is installed on the caravan.

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Hi,
My experience is only with a single axle van but if your driveway is solid and flat then you may get away with an Fleabay cheapie as I do. I paid about $300 for a 550w powered jockey wheel which works well for me but as I said we have a flat solid drive and a single axel van.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi brains trust,

I have just purchased a 17.56-2 and can only back it two thirds up the driveway before I run out of swinging room to. I currently have to disconnected and push the van back and then re connect the car. What are peoples thoughts on caravan movers. I am looking at more a jockey wheel version and not one that is installed on the caravan.

Hi @Hosko , I have a Jayco Penguin 2013 model and rated at 959kg tare and up to 1260kg when we are fully loaded`. Single axle. We have a smooth concrete driveway with a slight slope and have no trouble using the portable van mover in turning the van around 180 degrees after uncoupling, and maneuvering the van back up the slight slope into position. As the drive is on the jockey wheel, it must be able to grip the surface, so not too good if on wet or slippery surfaces such as lawn. Need to use a plank for it to run on then. Well worth it and easy to use too. You must supply your own battery power of sufficient capacity. Mine was made for Shisham Stanley and can move 1800 kg up a 5 degree slope. Best thing I ever bought - on Ebay also. Stronger units are also available I think so you will have to check weights and slope carefully before buying. I think mine cost around $234.000 at the time and I have had no problems. Remember, if you carry it in the van, it is quite heavy and will add to your van weight. I only use mine at home.

Hosko

Oct 8, 2018
Adelaide
Well I bought a new mover on gumtree still in box for $220 and it works well. I don't plan on taking it with me when I travel. Most places I stay have plenty of room to position the caravan. Being that it will only be used at home I was wondering if it would be possible to wire a plug that will plug into the 9 pin plug from the caravan to utilise the power from the battery in the caravan?

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Well I bought a new mover on gumtree still in box for $220 and it works well. I don't plan on taking it with me when I travel. Most places I stay have plenty of room to position the caravan. Being that it will only be used at home I was wondering if it would be possible to wire a plug that will plug into the 9 pin plug from the caravan to utilise the power from the battery in the caravan?

Glad to hear from you @Hosko . To make life easy, just connect a reasonably heavy line from the van battery to an Anderson plug attached to the van in a handy place. Just change/modify the connectors from mover to fit.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
My experience with the Camper Trolley is that it does what it claims to, but... you have to be careful with levels. The greater the slope the harder it has to work and the more you have to give it a helping push. If there is too much of a slope the van will push the trolley down hill. Additionally, if you are negotiating tight bends the tandem axle tends to work against it.

The remote control is a must, I couldn’t imagine using a caravan mover without one.

Also pay attention to the power source. Some trolley movers use the van’s battery, others have their own. The Camper Trolley has its own lithium battery.

Hope this helps.