Electrical Caravan electrical solar/mppt help

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
So I'm ordering a new van, but iso life has me procrastinating and thinking too much.

Jayco Expanda with a BMPRO J35D (lithium compatible) with up to 480w solar and 360ah lithium batteries.

Am I better off getting a Victron 100/45 smartsolar mppt and a BMPRO BC300+ comm link installed for better solar charging from the panels and so that the J35 can still monitor input/output from the batteries via the drifter panel?

Thanks in advance

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In reality if your going to be chewing thru the power each night so its low in the morning then Yes but going by the amount of panels and storage you have then save the money and hassle of fitment as you would have to disconnect the BMPro from the solar system as 2 regs don't like playing together and I imagine the BM Pro would have a hissy fit.... But then the Geeks will howl me down no doubt...............
If you have to check the system regularly by phone etc then the system isn't much chop (after the novelty wears off that is) mine just runs away with nary a look from me, though even less of a look if I could chuck 400ah of lithium onboard.. My set up would benefit with a MPPT controller instead of the PWM I have even though it one of the better ones, I don't care for the Victron mainly because it doesn't have a display, I like the jigger @Boots in Action has though.....

Reactions: Boots in Action

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi.

I can't find a Victron 100/45. There is a 100/50 or 150/45.
I looked at the manuals and there is no mention that they support lithium batteries.
Voltage settings relating to float and absorption would lead me to think they may only be suitable for normal type deep cycle batteries.
But I may well be wrong.

Take care
Mike

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Hi.

I can't find a Victron 100/45. There is a 100/50 or 150/45.
I looked at the manuals and there is no mention that they support lithium batteries.
Voltage settings relating to float and absorption would lead me to think they may only be suitable for normal type deep cycle batteries.
But I may well be wrong.

Take care
Mike

Sorry should have been the 100/50. Programmable via Bluetooth

Reactions: mikerezny

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
In reality if your going to be chewing thru the power each night so its low in the morning then Yes but going by the amount of panels and storage you have then save the money and hassle of fitment as you would have to disconnect the BMPro from the solar system as 2 regs don't like playing together and I imagine the BM Pro would have a hissy fit.... But then the Geeks will howl me down no doubt...............
If you have to check the system regularly by phone etc then the system isn't much chop (after the novelty wears off that is) mine just runs away with nary a look from me, though even less of a look if I could chuck 400ah of lithium onboard.. My set up would benefit with a MPPT controller instead of the PWM I have even though it one of the better ones, I don't care for the Victron mainly because it doesn't have a display, I like the jigger @Boots in Action has though.....

No "howling" from this Geek @Drover . Good practical advice though. If you are going to push your system to the limit and "live on the edge", then that is not good camping. If you always work well within the limits , life is much more enjoyable. Once you get an average of what usage verses power production is, one can adjust easily... either reduce power consumption, increase storage or have more panels. Only the weather is against you then sometimes.

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Changed it up and based it on this setup

3x 160w panels (unsure on brand or specs at this stage)
2x 120ah lifepo4 evpower batteries
1x victron smart solar 100/30 mppt
1x victron blue smart ip22 charger 12v/30a 230v
1x bmpro J35C (purely to power 12v plugs and lights in the jayco)

What do people think of this setup?

Reactions: Base23

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
So I'm ordering a new van, but iso life has me procrastinating and thinking too much.

Jayco Expanda with a BMPRO J35D (lithium compatible) with up to 480w solar and 360ah lithium batteries.

Am I better off getting a Victron 100/45 smartsolar mppt and a BMPRO BC300+ comm link installed for better solar charging from the panels and so that the J35 can still monitor input/output from the batteries via the drifter panel?

Thanks in advance
Don't over analyse this stuff, or get bogged down in details. My system is old with no bells or whistles, but it produces more energy than I require. There are certainly more efficient or modern ways to produce energy than my system, but if you have one bucket of power and you only use 1 x bucket of power does it really matter how fast you can fill 6 buckets of power, and screw every drop out of it you can. A full Enerdrive lithium system is around $15000 (very impressive system too) and it would also produce more energy than I require, and much more efficiently. The Enerdrive is most certainly better at it, but the practical application of it in my case is exactly equal to what I have. I never monitor my system because its designed to fill my needs, it works, I know it works and I have faith in it. The capacity to monitor or test the system would be handy when setting things up, but if I felt the need to continually monitor it after that I suspect that would be because it isn't working for me, or I have no faith in it. I use my Drifter panel to tell me the time and temperature. If I did continually watch the energy reserves on the Drifter and they were falling, Im not going to turn anything off, Im only going to think about it and worry.

My 3 way Dometic fridge works very very well, and has done so for many many years including many 40+ days. I know it works, I know its limitations and Ive know that for many years not because I monitored it but because I drink lots of coffee and my milk was always cold .... then I put a wireless thermometer in it, big mistake because I already knew it worked. Then I became obsessed with the read out on the bloody thermometer. I became less interested in my milk because like forever, it was still cold, I just became obsessing over the lcd of the display. All the time the fridge was just doing what it had been happily doing for years, but what I was now doing was stalking the electronics with no real purpose or practical gain.

I have Victron Smart Solar reg for the blanket I use on the car, but never monitor it. I did to test the panel and the setup but even then with Victron Bluetooth its not auto, you need to be within a certain range, connect the bluetooth each time, and then just looking at the screen wont change a thing. My car battery monitor will set off alarms if it gets low, so I just plug the panel in make sure the reg lights up and then just let it do its thing.

Last edited:

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Hahaha I know what you mean about getting obsessed. It's all good. I'll mainly only use the monitor for water levels etc.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Exactly @Crusty181 , couldn't agree more ..................... best thing when my fridge temp internal monitor drowned in the drip tray, I find the beer can test to be a very good sign....... Last word of advice is don't believe the spin doctors, Kiss is the best way for off grid....

What do people think of this setup?

Might be the Ants but too expensive .

Reactions: Crusty181

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I would not install anything in my van that I did not completely understand. This especially applies to any electrical equipment used for off-grid camping.
These systems are not yet anywhere near hands off. More like the cars of 40 odd years ago. You need to know how it works and have tools and enough bits and pieces to make some quick and dirty repairs when something goes wrong.

I am sure many a camping trip has been ruined by flat batteries, generators that wouldn't start, fridges that didn't work and all the food went off, etc.

KISS has to be the main objective. But to achieve it does need a lot of learning, thought, and effort in the initial stages. But the payoff is well worth the effort.

Being out in the sticks, far from home, when the shizza hits the fan and to be able to grab a multimeter measure a few voltages, determine what is and is not working, and making a repair that will keep things going until you get home will put a smile on your face and make the next beer taste so much better!

take care
Mike

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Don't over analyse this stuff, or get bogged down in details. My system is old with no bells or whistles, but it produces more energy than I require. There are certainly more efficient or modern ways to produce energy than my system, but if you have one bucket of power and you only use 1 x bucket of power does it really matter how fast you can fill 6 buckets of power, and screw every drop out of it you can. A full Enerdrive lithium system is around $15000 (very impressive system too) and it would also produce more energy than I require, and much more efficiently. The Enerdrive is most certainly better at it, but the practical application of it in my case is exactly equal to what I have. I never monitor my system because its designed to fill my needs, it works, I know it works and I have faith in it. The capacity to monitor or test the system would be handy when setting things up, but if I felt the need to continually monitor it after that I suspect that would be because it isn't working for me, or I have no faith in it. I use my Drifter panel to tell me the time and temperature. If I did continually watch the energy reserves on the Drifter and they were falling, Im not going to turn anything off, Im only going to think about it and worry.

My 3 way Dometic fridge works very very well, and has done so for many many years including many 40+ days. I know it works, I know its limitations and Ive know that for many years not because I monitored it but because I drink lots of coffee and my milk was always cold .... then I put a wireless thermometer in it, big mistake because I already knew it worked. Then I became obsessed with the read out on the bloody thermometer. I became less interested in my milk because like forever, it was still cold, I just became obsessing over the lcd of the display. All the time the fridge was just doing what it had been happily doing for years, but what I was now doing was stalking the electronics with no real purpose or practical gain.

I have Victron Smart Solar reg for the blanket I use on the car, but never monitor it. I did to test the panel and the setup but even then with Victron Bluetooth its not auto, you need to be within a certain range, connect the bluetooth each time, and then just looking at the screen wont change a thing. My car battery monitor will set off alarms if it gets low, so I just plug the panel in make sure the reg lights up and then just let it do its thing.

@Crusty, I agree with most of what you said. However it is always reassuring to "look" at the battery voltage in the morning before going for a 3 hour walk away from the van knowing that everything is "normal". The same thing applies to the fridge temperature especially when ambient temperature is 30C plus and getting hotter. Having faith in the reliability of your system (however basic or simple and unsophisticated) comes with the "KISS" principle. A bit like the instruments in your tug, a quick glance at the speedo, temp and fuel gauges occasionally is good value, but one is not obsessed with the readings every minute. However, totally ignoring them means you do not have early warning of possible problems. I was happy to have a good temperature gauge for my fridge a while ago when I noticed fridge temp rising for some unknown reason. (Gas flue was blocked!). Also a volt meter is very valuable in case a line is broken and battery storage is dropping because some one has tripped on your solar line and disconnected power, as can happen in Caravan parks when some idiot pulls out your 240 volt line!! Obsession with a lot of frequent readings etc is not necessary, but constant vigilance on some things is important.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Most certainly good points by all, I have a voltmeter that i fitted inside van as I'm lazy and don't want to look in the boot at the power station gauge and never leave home without my multi meter, leatherman or shotgun thankfully I know how to work all three, if the multui meter shows a problem and the leatherman can't fix it the Winchester will...............:D:D:D .................. Many I have met, close friends and rellies included have there monitors on walls and phones and as one smartie pants has replied when I said to him, "do you know what to do if it says there's a problem ???" To which he replied "he wouldn't have a clue what it says let alone fix it " but the bustard said "he has my number " ............Which he certainly did last year from down along the Murray, I have since told him to use his Scania toolkit next time.............
I suppose we are all in the hands of Gods, so long as the fit out is done well there shouldn't be a problem but sadly even the professional fit out seems to be lacking in Quality Control which annoys me a lot but in reality has taught me so much and has expanded my knowledge....:confused:

Reactions: Boots in Action

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
If the J35D could output above 28amps from solar then id stick with it for my lithium system, but its limited in that sense. The panels i want can output up to 38amps so its somewhat a waste. Hence the Victron units for AD and solar supply

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
Is the solar regulator on the J35D MPPT or PWM? I read the J35A/B manual and it doesn't seem to specify what it is.

Considering the large amount of solar power you want to connect, it would probably be economical to install a MPPT solar controller.

take care
Mike

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Its neither, and the make a point of saying its neither. I did come across a page of theirs which outlined its solar controller profiles, and they made out of was slightly more efficient than an MPPT. Think its the PDF i just attached

Attachments

• 180813_J35-BCD.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 341

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Its neither, and the make a point of saying its neither. I did come across a page of theirs which outlined its solar controller profiles, and they made out of was slightly more efficient than an MPPT. Think its the PDF i just attached

@Brente1982 , comparing the JD35D with a "good" MPPT controller is interesting indeed. Obviously the JD35D is a type of MPPT controller and the only difference would be in the efficiency of the two units. Most "good" and proper MPPT controllers advertise conversion factors in excess of 95% and tracking speeds of over 98%. So any difference would be in the components and circuit switching efficiency.... very little!

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
That and its limited output. Its ok if you only have say 2 of the jayco fitted 160w panels as im sure they wouldnt output over 28amps.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
That and its limited output. Its ok if you only have say 2 of the jayco fitted 160w panels as im sure they wouldnt output over 28amps.

@Brente1982 , if both rated 160w panels in parallel were able to output say 6.5A each at 18 volts, a good MPPT controller could give you approx 9.5A each charging into a battery which was at 12.2 volts (total of 19 amps approx.). This is well short of 28 amps.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
If the J35D could output above 28amps from solar then id stick with it for my lithium system, but its limited in that sense. The panels i want can output up to 38amps so its somewhat a waste. Hence the Victron units for AD and solar supply
You're obviously talking about more panel wattage than the 480w BmPro capacity. 38A would be a pretty healthy output from a 480w combo of panels

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
You're obviously talking about more panel wattage than the 480w BmPro capacity. 38A would be a pretty healthy output from a 480w combo of panels

@Crusty181 even with 3 X 160w panels in parallel with a MPPT controller, output would still only be just under 31A in good conditions. Working on 7.0A from each panel at 18V charging a battery at only 12.2 volts. Not counting losses in wiring and heat on panels etc.