Electrical Caravan battery location

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
I'm planning the install of a house battery (AGM type) in our van (Millard Horizon - 17ft full van) and have shortlisted three possible locations being:
1. In the storage area under the lift up bed which is located at the front of the van. Seems to be plenty of space and reasonably easy access. Will add some weight to front of van/increase tow ball weight (less preferred location).
2. Under a dining table bench seat. Location has reasonable access by removing cushions and wooden panel. Pretty much above the axle on LHS of van (preferred location).
3. Front boot storage. Outside of van living area but would take up quite a bit of boot space. Similar weight effect to first option (least preferred location).

Would welcome thoughts (pro's / con's) on the locations I have listed above or where forum members have a battery installed in their Expanda.

Thanks in advance.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Yep close to the axle under the seat would be to go, I personally hate batteries that are internal regardless of the type, mine is in the front boot (from factory), A lot of manufactures now place them in a box externally under the side in front of the axle.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @bigcol , was looking through the forums and found your response above

Thinking of installing the second battery under the sink as this will be in line with the axles so should put any additional load on the ball.

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG

This will be directly behind the existing battery and setec, making the install fairly straight forward

Any issues you think with it being under the sink and pipe work etc? I wouldn't think so as the battery will be in a box and also the existing battery is located near the mains inlet under the seat.

Thoughts?

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Does the box fit thru the door ??? How do you hold the box down ??? Maybe a slide so you can pull the thing out to inspect.

Just a few things I found when I relocated mine. Just make sure terminals are covered in case something falls out of drawers above.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@Drover has covered anything I could think of

ease of access and maintenance
protection
actual fitting
holding into position

apart from them, off hand (at the moment............) I cannot think of anything else

probably something basic I am missing.......

I have not as yet moved mine (slack lazy sod) still in the "thinking, planning & accumulating stage"

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Even though mine is now located under a seat I have been thinking of putting an outside access door but think I would then need the battery on a slide, no box though just a tray, vertical access is so much easier but really once you set it up you rarely need to go there.

Reactions: bigcol