Can you believe this!

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
We were travelling , towing our van, south of Perth on the Forrest Hwy and couldn't believe that an over width vehicle could pass another over width vehicle. We couldn't even pass with our van, but they did. If one had clipped the other I hate to think of the carnage that could have followed. I rang the local police to report the incident and the female officer told me they do it all the time, highly illegal, but think as they have a pilot vehicle it's ok! Not!>:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 569

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I'm guessing that isn't dual carriage way where both lanes are going in the same direction, still there's no accounting for stupidity

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I made a few of my own assumptions as the full story cant be seen from this picture alone... IMO I don't see what's wrong here, IF:
- both trucks and all pilot vehicles were in positive communication on the two way to make sure the road is well clear (were there two pilots up ahead as well?)
- good sight distance well ahead - looks like a good bit of road with plenty of width. No double whites either
- what speed were they doing? 60-80-100-120...
- how many kms to the next town
- etc.

If the 1st truck was dragging the chain would have done the same thing - called him up on the two way and asked when clear n safe to get around him. Truckies are more often then not obliging to so as - as am I when slowing down truckies.

P.s. if that truck couldn't get around there with out clipping the other I'd be more concerned if he was coming towards me and not being able to stay in his own lane...

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
At the time they would have been doing 90-95 km per hr because we where right behind and that's what we were doing. Irrespective of the pilots there wouldn't have been a couple of feet between them when they passed. All you would have needed was a little sway from one and they would have clipped each other. The next town was Australind about 6 km or so the one on the left turned off the highway. Both my hubby and myself just held our breath!