17' Series Camping Washing Machine

SpizzandQ

Jun 18, 2018
NSW
Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying a camping washing machine and was wondering what other people have or experiences you may have had. I am looking at something about 4kg. I have found a Gecko branded one that is currently $85 down from $200. I know there are a few that are about $300+ but for $85 I am thinking I will go ahead. I do have a question about the water. How does it all work? I can see in a photo there is a water inlet and in the information it says there are different temperature settings. All seems a bit fancy for a very basic and cheap machine. Any info would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Crossy

Dec 3, 2017
Canberra
I think this is the same one we got for $85, used it once and now its on gumtree for $40. Basically you fill it up through the top, you could plumb it I suppose but the inlet is not solenoid so you would need it to a tap that you would turn on and of when at the correct level. We filled up from the shower head so we had hot water in there. To empty, you unclip the pipe on the side and lay it down and the water flows out. Forget the spin dryer (which wasn't a surprise), the spin tub is 200mm dia by about 200mm high (enough for a few pairs of socks and a pair of shorts) and doesn't spin any water out, you can wring stuff dryer quicker. Uses around 20 - 30 litres water. If you are free camping for a long period with access to plenty of water and can sit it somewhere where you can just drain it out easily it will be fine. We just decided a lot of messing around, we can wait till we get somewhere we can use a laundry. For $85 its fine, we thought if we don't like no big deal. I don't see what the $300 ones do over and above this one to be honest. The only real option if you have the room and set up is a small 'real' washing machine. If you still want one and are near the ACT, I have one going cheap, in 2 weeks it'll be at the 'green shed' as we are moving.

SpizzandQ

Jun 18, 2018
NSW
Hi @Crossy,

Thanks for the info. I guess it's sort of what I was expecting but hoping it may have been a little better :). Ultimately I was trying to work out a cheapish way to not have to spend $5 on a washing cycle in the caravan park, particularly with a 5 month old!! Oh well, I really don't think that I'll be making the purchase after first hand experience. I really appreciate your reply. I won't be anywhere near the ACT soon so I guess it's off to the 'green shed' for the washing machine.

Happy Expanda-ing and good luck with the move!!

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
Don't waste your time. Keep an eye on fb and gumtree and get an automatic machine.

Most of the cheaper machines whilst will was 4kg will only spin 2kg. (there's 7 off us so bugger that for fun)

Managed to pick one up for $50. Take it when were at parks.

Plumbing wise.. Hose from front tap to inlet and run the waste put the back onto the grass :)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The current van has a washing machine, but in the previous van we had one of these Companion single tub units, which is possible a similar unit to what your looking at. Bucket the water into the top turn the timer and drop that white hose hanging off the side to gravity drain it, then another bucket to rinse. We used the little bugger for around 5 years, and gave it a brutal workout. It punched well above its weight and we regularly washed everything in it; all our sheets, and towels including beach towels

It weighs nothing and you can pack stuff into it to travel so it takes up no room. Also worked well on an inverter free camping, only one cycle where using wool wash there's no requirement to rinse

9312652024800.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DRW

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
We have one of the Gecko machines off EBay, I recall paying something like $90. Originally I had an affinity for it because that's the model of our van also, but really, I was just after saving a few bucks also on the road. Our unit fit beautifully in the cupboard space under #1's bed and I reckon it saved us the best part of $800 on the big trip. We gave it a pounding too like @Crusty181 did to his and it has never once missed a beat. Sure it can't spin for sh!t but when you are travelling up north, you hang stuff out and it's dry soon enough regardless. We simply brought it out, put it in the shower recess on a blue foam mat, filled with the shower head and discharged down the plug.
It might not be automatic but really on our "washing days" we were around enough not for that to matter. Photo of unit below where we moved it into the ensuite of an ensuite site we got in Kalgoorlie (that's all they had left).
IMG20170414210445.jpg
IMG20170414210445.jpg

Reactions: 17triton and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I like the top loaders then I can just fill it up from the river by bucket or pump/hose, rarely use parks now and the hand washing tends to be a bit like hard work after a few months.

Reactions: DRW

caax

Oct 10, 2015
Wollongong
We picked up the Aldi one and it's fine think it was about $100. Just use the liquid stuff not the powder

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I like the top loaders then I can just fill it up from the river by bucket or pump/hose, rarely use parks now and the hand washing tends to be a bit like hard work after a few months.
I couldn't get inside @mfexpanda's van without an iris scan and showing my vaccination card, whats the chances river water would be getting in there :confused:

Reactions: Drover and DRW

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
We are two weeks into a 4 week trip and have been using one of the Aldi $100 twin tubs. Works well, would recommend.

SpizzandQ

Jun 18, 2018
NSW
Thanks for all the info. A guy at a park we just stayed in had a lemair automatic. It’s 2.2kg and he had 3 kids and had it for 10 years. They’re a bit more expensive but they have a great spin function. They’re automatic too so that’s a bonus to. About 18kg so heavier than the others but definitely still manageable.

Reactions: Crusty181