18' Series Built in charger

Linc

May 10, 2020
Cardiff
Hi guys! Thanks for adding me! First caravan, first ever forum post! Can anyone please help regarding battery chargers? I am in the process of setting up our expanda '08. 18.56 with solar panels, inverter and a 150 ah lithium battery. Got a lot of questions! Do I need to disconnect the original 12v charger? Also..where might it be?! What would be a good dc-dc charger to install for the new battery? Thanks in advance!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Welcome............. since your going Lithium I would advise a good read up on lithium Batteries, they require a specific charger the standard Wet cell/AGM/GEL charger won't cut it as for the original unit, its more than likely that black panel thats down close to the floor with a light switch marked battery next to it, its a Setek unit which the 240 plugs into and gives you 12v DC for lights and stuff when you don't have a battery and will charge the battery if its one of the ones mentioned above..... Have a look around your van, take pics, ask questions, pics help us to ID what your talking about, there should eb a folder which has the manual/instructions for all the items in your van if not go round with pen in hand and take down the details of things like Fridge model/brand, battery, HWS (if any) TV aerial, tow hitch etc, etc, then you can find online the manuals/ fitting instructions and ask questions here which we can answer without guessing what it is................

So ask away with heaps of details and/or pics, we do enjoy it and there's no dumb questions, some long winded answers and we may wander a bit but thats part of the fun..........

Chriso100

Apr 26, 2020
Rosebud Victoria
Welcome Linc. As Drover mentioned, you will find some really helpful people here. I'm going through the same phase of putting batteries into my Jayco. I'll be keen to see how you go also.
Cheers Chriso

Reactions: Boots in Action

Linc

May 10, 2020
Cardiff
Awesome! Thanks guys, been working myself to the bone so haven't even though about getting back on here! I will add some pics of the wiring box, i guess everything is internal in it. I intalled leds through the van just now so small progress!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
LEDs improve things just try your TV/radio with the lights on as sometimes some of the leds can interfere with the reception better to find out now than when on the road..............