16' Series Bubble on bed lid - warning

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi All,

I purchased a cover for my 16.49-1 and after our last trip in Feb of this year, I washed the van and placed the cover over it. The cover fitted perfectly over the van and between two people and using a couple of tent poles, it was quite easy to cover the van.

We have had a really hot Feb and March here in Canberra, and when I took the cover off yesterday I noticed that a bubble has formed on the front bed end lid. Also, the inside of the van has a strong smell of that would send anybody into a head spin and cause some pretty severe headaches for everyone concerned. I've had to air out the van in readiness for our Easter trip.

I suspect that the cover and the warm temperatures we have had over Feb and March have caused the bubble to form on the bed lid. I'd like to warn everybody on this forum to hopefully not encounter the same fate. I'm thinking that I will now only place the cover over the van during the winter months so as to avoid any further damage.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Cheers

Luis

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
SF, as for the lid bubbling, that's is very common fault. Call your local dealer for replacement warranty issue.

Re: the smell in the van and if you got concern about the cover being on, while our van is in storage it too is covered. I leave a window ajar for ventilation, winter or summer when ever we get the van out, it still smells like new. Cheers Pace.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Its not a new smell, but rather the smell of some heavy duty chemicals!! I'm thinking that the heat and the cover not allowing the heat to go anywhere has caused the lid to bubble. The van faces north west where it is stored here at home along the side of the house, and so its getting the entire afternoon sun. I'm thinking that since the heat has no where to go because of the cover, that its the cause of the problem.

Would like to know whether others with a similar problem also cover their van?

Cheers

SilverFox.

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
Hi all I have just had the hard lid draw bar end replace in Feb whilst the service was done there were about 10 or 15 bubbles caught up with the chap up the road and the draw bar end hard lid on his 17 has bubbled much to his disapointment

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I have a coast to coast cover and I have noticed when cover is on it gets extremely hot inside, even with window and roof vents open, its like a bloody sauna! I haven't had lid bubble or noticed any chemical smell but I'm thinking the extreme heat can't be good for the thin ply and adhesives used in the van (especially shower walls). I've actually thought of cutting the cover out for vents and windows and stitching in shade cloth.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Silverfox - relax, it's not YOU, it's Jayco! It has nothing to do with your cover. It is a manufacturing fault that has allowed moisture in when it was made. Boat builders call it fibreglass cancer (nice hey) and it was a boat builder who told me of it.

The whole reason for covering your van is to protect it from UV damage. Winter damage is minimal. As for smelling, it would smell covered or otherwise. Coast to Coast covers allow it to "breathe" but I just leave the windows slightly open.

Bubbling is quite common unfortunately. Jayco fix it though without question.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Silverfox - relax, it's not YOU, it's Jayco! It has nothing to do with your cover. It is a manufacturing fault that has allowed moisture in when it was made. Boat builders call it fibreglass cancer (nice hey) and it was a boat builder who told me of it.

The whole reason for covering your van is to protect it from UV damage. Winter damage is minimal. As for smelling, it would smell covered or otherwise. Coast to Coast covers allow it to "breathe" but I just leave the windows slightly open.

Bubbling is quite common unfortunately. Jayco fix it though without question.

Your reply made me laugh!! Thanks BoD!!

Unfortunately, I bought my 2010 16.49-1 second hand and no doubt its run out of warranty. Would Jayco be prepared to fix it when its run out of warranty?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Your reply made me laugh!! Thanks BoD!!

Unfortunately, I bought my 2010 16.49-1 second hand and no doubt its run out of warranty. Would Jayco be prepared to fix it when its run out of warranty?

Its a common fault so would not be surprised if they do fix it.

Give them a bell and discuss it that is your best bet :)!!!

Let us know what they say.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Would Jayco be prepared to fix it when its run out of warranty?

I would call Jayco HQ here in Melbourne and ask nicely. I would be surprised if they didn't replace it or at least offered the parts free and 50% labour etc.

Made you laugh eh..............new career maybe!

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
'Thanks to everyone for there replys.

I've contacted Jayco here in Canberra, and have it booked in. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Cheers

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
We had a 16 footer expanda and had a myriad of bubbles on both bed end lids and ours was located in a shed. Jayco did not hesitate in replacing both lids with new ones So hopefully you should be right in getting yours replaced. Goodluck.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
That sounds like fall out due to a angle grinder working near buy.
The metal partials that are coming from a angel grinder when in use are flying though the air and also are very hot.(Glowing Red Hot). Therefor the metal partials land on the fibre glass and melt in and then bingo the metal rusts. Hence the rust look.
Not saying that's what you have but that could be one cause.

Buy any chance have you done any work to the van or near buy with a angel grinder?

If you have try polishing them out with a good fibre glass polish>>

Skip

Danniel

Mar 6, 2013
I noticed them when i first got it home. Its going in for its first service very shortly

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi,

Well my van finally goes into Jayco tomorrow for them to look at repairing the bubbles on the front bed lid. Fingers crossed that the outcome is good!!

I'll keep everyone posted on what the outcome is.

Cheers

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi,

Well I had the van serviced yesterday, and I can't believe what the cost of the service was. Its NOT a car, no engine etc, but was charged $585. What did I get for my money, well I'm told that the bearings were cleaned and repacked, all of the plumbing was checked, the brakes were adjusted, I needed a new corner stay, and the pump tap to draw water from the tank (no electric pump in mine) needed to be replaced. Oh the other reason was that the jockey wheel bracket needed replacing and so a new one needed to be welded on. That's it - $585.

Regarding the bed lid, a new one has been ordered to replace the front bed lid that has a bubble on it, which was the other reason for me to take the van into Jayco. I'm pretty happy about the fact that it is being replaced and hopefully at no further cost to me!!

Anyway, I can't stop feeling like I've been ripped off!!

Anybody with similar experiences?

Cheers

Danniel

Mar 6, 2013
Im taking my van down to Jayco Nowra in the morning soon as im finished work. There is a small list of minor issues and some larger ones. Will keep updated.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
SilverFox, I think my first service cost around $260, but nothing else needed replacing. There is a thread on here somewhere about servicing costs and how they vary.