BT50 or DMax?

megcam

Hi All

Want to update the Pajero to a brand new dual cab ute and am tossing up the above options. Drove the BT50 the other day and it felt really solid and more 'car like' to drive than the Isuzu and it was the favourite. Problem is every time I search forums etc for feedback on the Mazda all I come across is people with problematic gear boxes and multiple oil leaks. Every time I read up on the Isuzu I read things like they just placed 2nd behind Lexus for product reliability and after sales service in Australian new car buyers and they seem to have a real enthusiasts following.

Anyone with real world experience on either vehicle care to rate your overall impressions with the vehicle, any problems and experience with dealers?

Thanks

Cameron

p.s. no advice to buy a Ranger, Colorado, Landcruiser, Navara or Amorok please

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I bought my BT50 new Feb 2015 and so far it has only done just short of 35,000Km but has had no problems although the 20K service the dealer told me there was a weeping leak in the transfer box but said to do our trip to SA and it would have the seal replaced at the 30K service. This was done and the truck has performed faultlessly. It is not used as a daily drive as we have a Mazda 2 for this so it spends a lot of time sitting in the garage and just comes out to tow the van. It does this very well and we are happy with the truck

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
They are two we have looked at, along with the others,
Personally thought the Mazda rode better when empty, but if you don't mind the very basic plastic agricultural look of the interior of the Isuzu them you probably can't beat them for value and reliability and now they have been beefed up even better.
Isuzu will be making the BT50 come 2019
so will be interesting to see what comes
Owner's I've spoken to of both vehicles seem more than happy with them.

megcam

Thanks @chartrock and @Bushman . Was originally thinking the DMax was the one to buy as I'm really looking for a min 10 year vehicle. We could only drive the LSM which has stiffer springs and fairly basic interior. It drove well but was noisy and I found the ride a bit bouncy. Was giving it the benefit of the doubt as the demonstrator only had a couple of hundred KM's on it so would think the suspension would settle a bit both with some weight in/on the back and a little time. Whilst waiting for a LSU to become available we went and drove the BT50 in GT spec and both SWMBO and I really liked it. My internet research then highlighted a lot of people having auto trans issues. I know the internet can be an attractant to people who have nothing good to say about a brand but was concerned none the less. Have since found quite a few more positives on the Mazda. Will probably go and test drive a DMax LST (leather, sat nav, keyless start etc) this weekend and see if we can make up our mind.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
between the two of them, I would rate the BT as a better buy

but - I drive a Patrol, so you get that

(
p.s. no advice to buy a Ranger, Colorado, Landcruiser, Navara or Amorok please
)
Ranger IS the BT-50, with a Ford badge on it
Colorado IS the D-Max with a Lion badge on it
Landcruiser over priced for average person
Navara is ok - but your not interested
I'marock is under powered with 4cyl (too rev'y) but better with 6cyl diesel

if it was my money, I would go the BT, better comfort & better driving feel

but just my opinion

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
between the two of them, I would rate the BT as a better buy

but - I drive a Patrol, so you get that

()
Ranger IS the BT-50, with a Ford badge on it
Colorado IS the D-Max with a Lion badge on it
Landcruiser over priced for average person
Navara is ok - but your not interested
I'marock is under powered with 4cyl (too rev'y) but better with 6cyl diesel

if it was my money, I would go the BT, better comfort & better driving feel

but just my opinion
The Colorado hasn't been DMax for several years now, and now the new Colorado is out its shifted futher away by comparison.

Reactions: cruza driver

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
When we were considering replacing the Rodeo (same as the first run Dmax) we looked at the Colorado/Ranger/BT50/Dmax, wife liked the Ranger, I liked the price of the BT50, all of them will do the towing without issue with the Dmax being the most economical despite being the least powerful.
In the end we went Pajero as it had more space in the rear seats ( 2 x car seats and a teenager) and we love it, but I do miss my ute for carrying crap purposes.

Reactions: megcam and bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
There's a lot of bt50s around so it's understandable if there seems there is a few more issues. As above the rangers the same. But the users on here seem happy enough. For mine I had a rodeo with 310,000 hard kms on it and it's hard to overlook that reliability. Isuzu are truck makers. Also there engine is the only one published with a particular rating that shows their reliability all other manufacturers keep this to them selves. So if you intend to keep them for a long time I'd take that in to account.

For mine none of the utes are up to towing the 3500/350 that they legally claim! But your rig should be fine, but if bigger and better is on the horizon consider that too. Good luck

Reactions: megcam and JS4910

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
i drive a current shape d-max done over 50000 and the mechanic says its still like it was out of the factory, no gremlins no weeping no signs of wear... his other comment is the way its laid out everything on the engine is easily accessible... yes its a bit plain jane but it also means less things to go wrong! i drive the lst and it has leather and reverse camera i cant say i miss anything else.

Reactions: megcam and JS4910

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I tow a 2.7t starcraft behind my current model dmax lsm. I like the fuel economy and reliability but not the lack of power at freeway speeds. I can't keep up with friends towing 3.5 behind their rangers.
But price wise the dmax was way cheaper when I bought 2 years ago.

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Hi Megcam.
I went through what you are currently when my cruiser went out with a bang (literally).
Any way after a lot of research and test driving - I drove all the new dual cabs - we end up buy the new Colorado. It has the most torque out of all of them and it is cheaper than a ranger and amarok.
It was an interesting experience over Easter when we went away with friends. We tow a starcraft that is over 3t and our mates had the following. Ranger towing starcraft 2.7t, Dmax towing starcraft at 2.8t, 4.2 patrol towing camper trailer at 1.9t , BT50 towing a safari van at 3t and a 3lt patrol towing a starcaft 2.8t.
Obviously the 4.2 patrol flew through the hills but the Colorado was the next best vehicle towing through the hills. The dmax struggled to keep up. The ranger and the bt 50 were on par with each other but could not keep up with the Colorado. Despite this the Dmax had the best fuel economy but in reality we were all (the dual cabs) pretty close with fuel usage.
We all got to our destination together but some did it easier through the hills etc. We all could travel at 100km/hr
Any of the new dual cabs will do what you require (except for the triton - it couldn't tow our van), it is just going to come down to personal preference.
We love our new Colorado as it is comfortable and has heaps of torque which is important for towing but like any vehicle there are things we don't like about it such as the drink holders.
The dual cab that I really wanted was a Dodge RAM with a 6t towing capacity but had a price tag of over $130000 and the wife said NO. Any way I can keep dreaming.

Drive everything and pick what is best for you. My mates with the other dual cabs are all happy with there vehicles except for the ranger which has spent a lot of time at the dealer having issues rectified, but that is another story.

Good luck with the hunting

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
There is a good reason why the Ranger is outselling the Hilux 4x4.
If you are going the keep it for 10 years then the Ranger will probably suit best and do a better job. BTW -There are many differences between BT50 and Ranger. Suspension, engine technology,equipment level etc.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I know I might be a bit biased but had my BT50 since the new model came out in 2012. Towed the Penguin round the Western half loop of Oz(17,000km) in 2012. So easy to handle the hills and road trains. Eastern half loop of Oz in 2014 (15,000km) with the Sea Dragon (Pand 14.44-5 OB) including the head wind going East from 3 Ways to Mt Isa.
Since then, Apollo Bay, Kimberleys plus many other short trips.
Not one hiccup, plenty of power when needed and great fuel economy!
See my trip threads for details.
Would highly recommend the BT 50!
Would also buy it again if I ever had to upgrade.
Preparing for another 1/4 loop this year to Qld via Broken Hill to Rockampton and down the East Coast in June.
Very comfortable in the cab, much like a car.
We have the XTR Dual cab with climate control and fully fitted out Canopy
What more can I say!

megcam

Good real world info @4wdphil - thanks. What model Colorado to you get? Any factory accessories?

Thanks @Tricky . I like the Ranger but prices seem to be $60 something rather than high $40's or early $50's of the Dmax, BT50 & Colorado.

Good to hear the BT50 has been good to you @Marv_mart. Would like to find a place with a Mazda, Isuzu & Holden yard near each other so we could drive them all one after the other.

Didn't get a chance to drive anything yesterday. Was heading out to drive a LST Dmax when the deal phoned to say they sold it:apologetic:. Stopped at another Isuzu dealer in the hope of driving one but the salesman gave me the proverbials quoting list prices $6k more than the drive away price noted on Carsales etc etc :blah:.

Anyone got tips or suggestions on how to extract the best price out of a dealer? We've never bought new before so not sure what's negotiable and what's not.

Cheers